gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Thread: 5.0l swap

Gotstang? Newbie!

Default 5.0l swap

hi guys quick question if i had access to a complete 5.0l setup (engine, diff, trany) basicly a whole foxbody how hard would it be for me to swap it into my 99 v6

Old Skool

Placing everything in, i.e. longblock and tranny wouldn't be hard. The rear end is the same from 86 to 04 except for the ones with the IRS. The thing that you would run into is the wiring. If I'm not mistaken, and tell me if I'm wrong, you would need to swap out the computer, with the 89-93 ECM and repin the ECM connector to accept the ECM. I don't think that the newer computers will work.

I know a swap like this was done with 99 or 00 Cobra engine into 79' pace car using a 96 Lincoln ECM.

Benny

S.O.B !!! I NEED GAS !!! 91GT347's Avatar

Yeah get the 5.0 wiring harness too,if its available. This is probably not emissions legal either. If that matters.

The rear end in the Fox is narrower by 1.5". Your V6 fuel system isn't compatible. The instrument cluster in your V6 would just about become worthless. The speedo in the Fox is a cable driven setup, yours is electronic, the 94/95 setup is different still. IF you're seriously considering a swap, I'd try really hard to get a 94/95 donor.

I guess the message is, if you just want to go to a 5.0, that's probably not too hard, but if you want seamless integration...you could make things a lot easier by starting with the right donor.

[

Old Skool

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlo5.0
    The rear end in the Fox is narrower by 1.5". Your V6 fuel system isn't compatible. The instrument cluster in your V6 would just about become worthless. The speedo in the Fox is a cable driven setup, yours is electronic, the 94/95 setup is different still. IF you're seriously considering a swap, I'd try really hard to get a 94/95 donor.

I guess the message is, if you just want to go to a 5.0, that's probably not too hard, but if you want seamless integration...you could make things a lot easier by starting with the right donor.

True for the rear end, but it is still an 8.8. there is no reason to place a fox rearend while the one he has is still good.

The 94-95 setup is good, but I still wouldn't use the ECM from those cars.

Of course, I get to politely disagree...

One wheel peel from a 7.5 in his V6 car is hardly adequate. Then again, I've seen some 7.5's take some serious abuse without grenading.

I've done the swap in question. I know every last thing to be addressed...

[

Gotstang? Newbie!

i put a 8.8 out fo a 92 lincoln mark vii in my 98 v6. it was a easy swap and i nolonger have to run spacers on the rear to get the tires even with the fenders. you have to use the lincoln brakes but it is a plus because they are bigger then the mustangs. oh and my wheels are 17x9 cobra r with 275 45 17 on it

I have a 7.5 rear in my 5.0 auto and it's ok...however i plan to put the 8.8 in soon.

emissions would be a problem because it would not meet the standards required by your year car.

The rearend is different in 87-93 and 94-98 because of width, the 99+ is even wider- I wonder though if the driveshaft would still bolt up to your existing rear end? You would probably need a custom driveshaft...unless the 94-98 driveshaft is long enough, i know the fox driveshaft is not the same length as 99+ cars

whatever you do, keep the computer, engine harness of the same year donor car...and make sure whatever commputer you use is made for auto vs stick...stick shift computers cannot do automatics.

Thread Information