gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Thread: 408 Stroker

Gotstang? Newbie!

Default 408 Stroker

Okay, I'm building a 408 stroker. I got the 351W block, so now bring it to a machine shop to machine it and bore it? If anybody could give me a complete list of everything I need to buy and where to start that would be awesome. I'm going to put my fuel injection on it and want to run 9.5.1 compression. Thanks.

stock as a rock
    Owensville IN USA the only one that matters

The guy at the machine shop should be able to tell you everything you will need for the engine. All I know off hand is you will need a new oil pan, headers, and a 351 mustang style lower intake. might need new motor mounts also, but Im not 100% on that one.
    I think there are only 2 different intakes to work with the stock style mustang stuff. Trick flow makes one, and theres a cobra version out there too, because of the 95 R. Not real sure if there are any more.
    Come on man, its stock! How could you loose!

Gotstang? Newbie!

Well I got the Trickflow Track Heat, and if that bolts up then I'll be more than happy.

S.O.B !!! I NEED GAS !!! 91GT347's Avatar

If its the track heat for a 351 it will bolt up. You may want to check on ordering a complete shortblock already put together. Unless you know someone at the machine shop. It may be cheaper.

For a 408, I would also be inclined to consider a spyder style EFI intake. A 408 will make plenty of torque without the assistance of a typical long runner EFI intake. The top end will be much improved.

The machinist typically wants to have a piston in hand to facilitate proper finish honing. Mine did. If your stroker kit needs to be balanced, you're probably best off to go ahead and buy the flywheel, harmonic damper and clutch so that he can balance the whole rotating assembly together.

I think my next motor is going to be a 408...

[

Gotstang? Addict

If all you have is the block then you will need alot. At the machine shop I work at we only reuse the rods, heads, and crank, and sometimes small parts like covers, ect. We get all new pistons, bearings, rockers, lifters, pushrods, replace everything with ARP studs, and small stuff like freez plugs. Everything to turn it into pretty much a complete longblock. This is just what I know we do, everyshop is different and the guy will be able to tell you for sure what you need.
    2003 GT
    H&R SuperSports l Tokico Illumina dampers l Maximum Motorsports c/c plates l MM XL SFCs l MGW shifter l other goodies...

Thread Information