gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Thread: Lowering

Default Lowering

Ok heres the question I need alittle help with lowering..I have a 95 GT hardtop

1. I have the Eibach Sportline springs...I've been told that I need to use the struts and shocks for the 79-93 fox body cars because of how low it will be with the Sportlines on....I've found a kit @ 50 Resto that come with the qaud shocks also in the kit....

Question can I use this quad shock or will I need to buy quad shocks for my year model ?

2. Now I know I need CC plates because I'm goin so low in the front....the question is which ones...BBK's.....MAC's.....Maximum Motorsports.....Steeda..I noticed that Steeda has 2 different types for my car a 3 bolt and a 4 bolt plate...has anyone used either??...also has anyone ever heard of C.A.M plates??....I found them on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILLE...75722291QQrdZ1

3. Will I need to get a Lower Control Arm Kit??

I'm looking at lowering the car this week so any and ALL help anyone can provide me will be very appreicated....

If I have forgotten anything for this project please let me know....Thanks
    Last edited by GT95; 02-17-2007 at 09:21 PM.

When I had my 04 GT, I had Steeda sport springs and used there 3 bolt CC plates. I was able to get it aligned with no problems. On my 02 GT, I used H&R SS springs and just had the shop do an alignment with the stock CC plates, but I would have gone with MM CC plates, but I didn't have the money at the time. I am about to lower my 04 Mach with H&R SS springs and get the MM CC plates for the alignment.

Hope this helps some.
    -Jason

2001 Bullitt
    DHG
    O/R X-pipe, Optima Red Top Battery, Fog Lights

Not sure really if the info was what I was looking for....but Thank you for the suggestion....I was hoping for more suggetions...but I guess not...Guess I'll need to figure it out on my own...I think people here are more into playin the games on here and braggin about what they've done to there cars...but bein a newbie and all I guess I should expect much more...Althought I thought this might be a group that likes to help others out with there questions..37 pages views and your the only one to comment...doesn't say alot for the the members here I guess... So thanks again Jason.....at least you tried to help with my question

Mods can delete if they want to....don't think I'll get any other replys
    Last edited by GT95; 02-25-2007 at 09:23 PM.

The shocks and quads are the same from 79-04, and so are the springs for all V-8 hardtops, except the ones for IRS. For example I bought springs that are stock for the 01 Bullitt and put them on my 92 with no issues. My wife's 97 Cobra has the Eibach sportlines and C/C plates (unknown brand) and alignment is fine. I would go with a well known company for the C/C plates and stay away from the ebay off brands. Lower control arms are not needed if you are just lowering it, but if you are looking for better traction a set of upper and lowers will help. When you replace the upper and lowers you can also remove the quad shocks since the rear geometry is changed.

Thanks Crimsonblack

Thanks to Nicoleb3x3 for this one.

Thanks for the reply YsOffcr.......that info was very helpful....so I take it the full kit from 50 resto will work for what I need...thanks a ton.....and I'll look into getting some NAME brand C/C plates........

No problem, I try to look through the forums regularly but it doesn't happen that way most the time. If you have any other questions you can just PM me or post it here, I try to help as much as possible.

Thanks Crimsonblack

Thanks jason2004gt,,,,,,and YsOffcr for the help.....You guys rock

Gotstang? Newbie!

You don't have to do everything at once. Get good parts rather than all at once if money is an issue. You can run stock shocks/struts for a time till the lowering springs kill them off. KYB would be the least expensive brand that handle lowering springs. I would do cc plates with the springs though so you save the front tires. Rear control arms with good bushings like the maximum motorsports save torque box damage under hard driving and the jackers let you run slicks with a lowered car. You don't need control arms till you are making some power. Personally I like mm for suspension stuff but steeda makes good stuff also. Just go with one company as their other parts are made to match each other.

Thanks for the help boss91gt...money for the parts themself aren't really the issue at the moment ......for the project I'm trying to do...the struts shocks....and c/c plates I can afford right now...I'm hoping to get all the info needed because the money issue will be installing those parts...last time I looked into it..which was about a month ago....I was quoted 1200.00 just for the install of the springs...struts...shocks...that was without installing the quads...or the c/c plates...I will however remeber you suggestion about purchasing parts from the same company if fit issues are ANY type of problem..."which I have know ideal about"......I want to pull this, first of many projects...and mods off as easily as I can due to it being my first real major mod....thanks again boss for the help

Just to let everyone know who is helping me with these questions..I have owed a few hotrods or muscle cars in the past but never really got a chance to mod them...due to thefts or being rear ended....this is my first mustang and I want to do all the things to it that I have planned..cause I aint married and aint got no littin's.....I'm sure I will run into the normal problems down the road now and again...but with help from the likes of memebers such as ya'll (those that have replied with help that is) I hope that I can avoid the really bad choices when it comes to the mods I do have planned

again, to all of you for the advice with my project....

Oh and one more thing...could someone look over this and tell me if any of this is correct...
    Ok heres the question I need alittle help with lowering..I have a 95 GT hardtop

1. I have the Eibach Sportline springs...I've been told that I need to use the struts and shocks for the 79-93 fox body cars because of how low it will be with the Sportlines on....and that these fit best when it's lowered this far down on the model mustang....I've found a kit @ 50 Resto that come with the qaud shocks also in the kit....

Only with Twin Tube struts is it suggested that you use 87-93 struts. Twin Tube strut manufacturers would be Tokico, Koni, KYB, etc. Mono-tube struts... such as Bilstein... you do not need to go with the 87-93. The Twin Tube struts use internal bumpstops which can be damaged, thus damaging the strut, if they bottom out too much. The shorter 87-93 struts give you more travel, and prevent the struts from bottoming out. You can use regular 94-04 rear shocks and quad shocks... this only applies to the front struts.

Question can I use this quad shock or will I need to buy quad shocks for my year model ?
    You only need to worry about the struts...

2. Now I know I need CC plates because I'm goin so low in the front....the question is which ones...BBK's.....MAC's.....Maximum Motorsports.....Steeda..I noticed that Steeda has 2 different types for my car a 3 bolt and a 4 bolt plate...has anyone used either??...also has anyone ever heard of C.A.M plates??....I found them on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILL...075722291QQrdZ1

Never heard of CAM plates...

Popular sellers are both Maximum Motorsports and Steeda Autosports. Both MM & Steeda make a very high quality 4-bolt plate...
    I would get the 4 bolt plates... they allow for independent adjustment of caster/camber... they're so much stronger

3. Will I need to get a Lower Control Arm Kit??

The lower control arms are not needed for the spring or shock/strut install to be successful...

Although replacing your rear control arms will improve traction and overall handling performance...
    Last edited by GT95; 02-28-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Gotstang? Newbie!

How about installing the parts yourself? There really isnt much to shocks, struts ,springs cc plates or control arms. As to above 1. Dont know all I have owned is a fox but, a friend of mine just bought a '95 so I will be learning as we tear into it. He did put steeda sport springs on it without alignment problems. 2. +1, 3. +1

S.O.B !!! I NEED GAS !!! 91GT347's Avatar

Not sure what the ride height difference is in your springs and the Ford "C" springs. My brother put the C's on his 95 and sent the CC plates he ordered back because he didnt need them(after he was told he would need them). He still runs stock shocks with no problems and drives 300 miles a day.They've been on there for a couple of years too.

Gotstang? Regular

Ask me something I know about, and I can be a total blabbermouth. Unfortunately don't have lowering springs yet, so can't offer assistance on the subject... planning to get suspension work done in '07 so I read every thread that mentions springs. Good luck on the project though.
    IF YOU'RE NOT FIRST, YOU'RE LAST - Ricky Bobby's Dad

I ended up ordering the Sportlines for my Mach. Just got them today, so they should be installed shortly.

-Jason

2001 Bullitt
    DHG
    O/R X-pipe, Optima Red Top Battery, Fog Lights

Thanks for all the input....nice to see memebers coming to each others aid with these types of questions....

On my wife's 97 cobra I put KYB struts for that year with the Eibach Sportlines. No problem with hieght or bottoming out. Your on the right track about the C/C plates. As for installation, I would do it yourself if you have jackstands and the tools. Removal and the installation of the springs is much easier on the SN95s than the fox body. Since you have to disconnect the struts and shocks for the springs you can replace them at the same time. The struts get removed for replacement and the C/C plates can be installed then. Just get a front end alignment soon after the install. Thats my opinion.

Thanks Crimsonblack

i put lowering springs on my 94 gt and havent had any problems. it dorp 2' all the way around.

what kind did you use? i used H&R race springs and got 2 1/4
    stock.................................ish

Thread Information