gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    Gotstang? Newbie!

Unhappy what's with this noise?

I have an 06 GT I recently installed a set of forty series flow-masters which I wasn't to impressed with ,so when my local shop told me that they had an off road X pipe without cats in stock I jumped all over it ,but after installing it even though the power and torque felt a lot better ,the car sounds like it should be on the set of the fast and the furious (joke ) just really raspy, high pitched ,tinny ,and not the typical deep rumble that mustangs are know for ,did I do something wrong? or is this how all 4.6 sound ?

how did it sound before the off road x pipe?
    The xpipe will add metal/echo like sound...but usually it's addtional to the existing mufflers. that soundn't add to the problem...

how many chambers do those mufflers have? if they're 2 chamber, you prolly need a 3 chamber muffler. (how loud is it?) if it's really loud...then likely you need different mufflers-like a 3 chamber- to get a better sound out of them.

I don't claim to know shit about the 4.6...but I know a 2 chamber muffler can be a bad thing for certain engines..maybe on engines smaller than a 5.0 ??

I run 3 chamber flowmasters on even my 5.0 and a off road xpipe..sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoleb3x3
    I don't claim to know shit about the 4.6...but I know a 2 chamber muffler can be a bad thing for certain engines..maybe on engines smaller than a 5.0 ??

I run 3 chamber flowmasters on even my 5.0 and a off road xpipe..sounds awesome.
    id agree that certain muffler designs sound different on certain engine designs i have a 2.3t and my 40 flowmaster sounds awesome, nice and deep with a dash of rumble lol, but then again i only have a single exhuast pipe leading to the muffler, also i dont have any tail pipes just turn downs but i think that would mostly effect noise lvl at idle, ill have to try and get some vid or sound clips up some time, and yeah like Nicole said the x-pipe will change the sound of your exhuast, the sound you are use to was due in part to the factory h-pipe, id say try and find a muffler that works best(for sound) with your newly acquired x-pipe
    4 bangin b*sterd
    I love BOOOOOST and turbos ..

Thread Information