gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    i bleed ford blue.... lxexpress's Avatar

Default history of the middle finger

The History Of The Middle Finger

Well, now......here's something I never knew before, and now that I know it, I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified. Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without their middle fingers they would find it impossible to draw the renowned English longbow; and therefore, they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew!"
    Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TO THE FRENCH TODAY!
    rice belongs in a bowl.... not on the street!!!!! ,thanx to crimsonblack...you the man!!!!

S.O.B !!! I NEED GAS !!! 91GT347's Avatar

Very interesting Scott. I've wondered that before myself.Good post and pluck yew. lmao J/ K

Gotstang? Newbie! South NJ Stang's Avatar

I actually learned that in my European Cultures Class, I thought it was funny as hell, and I will still give them that salute.

Marriedtoaninternetjunkie Packer Backer's Avatar

Very Interesting! Is it still ok to use it on other than french people? Me being Irish and German and dutch and whatever else... Can I still use The Bird?

Thanks to CrimsonBlack for the AWESOME sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Packer Backer
    Very Interesting! Is it still ok to use it on other than french people? Me being Irish and German and dutch and whatever else... Can I still use The Bird?
    hmmmm...with you owning a chevy you must get people from all walks of life giving YOU the finger.........so i would think you would be ok to use it yourself...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    rice belongs in a bowl.... not on the street!!!!! ,thanx to crimsonblack...you the man!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lxexpress
    hmmmm...with you owning a chevy you must get people from all walks of life giving YOU the finger.........so i would think you would be ok to use it yourself...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Awww, KMA and where are those green stripes you promised you'd put on so I'd vote for you in face offs and tourney? LOL You fibbed...

Quote Originally Posted by Packer Backer
    Awww, KMA and where are those green stripes you promised you'd put on so I'd vote for you in face offs and tourney? LOL You fibbed...
    i never promised.....i said i would CONSIDER IT...and thanks for the votes...lol

here are your stripes .......... thanx to trikpony for this one..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lxexpress; 01-13-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Not bad... Would suggest a darker green when you paint it for real, and don't forget the white stripe in the middle to set off the forest green stripes. LOL Maybe a big 04 on each door... In dark green of course.

JUST NEVER HAPPY ARE YA???? HAHAHAHAHA but then again you are a packer fan...lol

Retired Trucker

Quote Originally Posted by lxexpress
    The History Of The Middle Finger

Well, now......here's something I never knew before, and now that I know it, I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified. Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without their middle fingers they would find it impossible to draw the renowned English longbow; and therefore, they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew!"
    Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TO THE FRENCH TODAY!
    Sorry,but Snopes says no way

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.htm

Thread Information