gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Thread: Intake?????

Gotstang? Newbie!

Default Intake?????

can someone tell me the benefits of me adding a gt40 intake? is there going to be a horsepower and torque increase? if so, how much roughly? my 5.0 motor is fresh with forged pistons, e303 cam, 24lb injectors, underdrives, off road X pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, cold air. the guy wants $150 for it, the serial # says its an 1996 explorer/gt40. What do ya think? is it worth it?

He's already got it setup for a Fox? The Exploder intake will put up numbers just about dead even with the real GT40 or Cobra intake. It's good for something, it has more volume, bigger runners, Through stock heads, it won't matter too much though. $150 sounds like a decent buy. Lowers go for about $125 by themselves.

[

Gotstang? Newbie!

thanks for the info. what do you mean by "through stock heads it wont matter much? will it help me with horses or torque?, high end or low?

You'll have a power peak that is a few hundred rpm higher than the stock intake. Your low end torque probably won't be noticably less, just a tad, but not measurable by the seat of your pants. The top end gain will more than make up for it.

To explain my comment about it not mattering much...Back in the May '95 or May '94 issue of Super Ford (before it joined 5.0 Mustang), they did a bolt on car with dyno runs between each mod. The goal was to build 300 hp at the flywheel. Without going into specifics, the article clearly pointed out that no one part is a magic 80hp gain. The only thing there is to take away is that your intake may only add 10 or 15 hp, but if you were adding it to a set of AFR 165 or 185 heads, it may add almost 35 hp. All the parts work together. Whichever part happens to be the bottleneck to airflow at the time will seem to produce the biggest bang when it gets upgraded.

[

Thread Information