gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    I AM THE DARK SIDE!!! steelfalcon29's Avatar

Default I Need Help with Mach 460 wiring.

Is there anyone out there that can help me with what I should do? I've asked 4 diff. stereo places and have gotten 4 diff. answers and prices on how to change out the head unit. Three places said that I need a harness and the prices are $20-$80 just for the harness and one place said the other three are trying to rob me and that there is no such harness that the new head unit will require splicing in. I want to keep everything just as it is, except with a new head unit. Before you ask I can't remember what the numbers are but the head unit is a KW. Any direction would be helpfull!!!

GS Dynasty

You can buy a harness.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOFDK9B
    and believe it or not, you can probobly find this part at wal-mart.
    They carry scoshe harnesses.

When i did mine, i had a heck of a time finind a harness, therefore, took the hard route...wired up the power to the stereo, and for the speakers, i ran speaker wire right from the head unit to each speaker. To be honest, this is probobly the best way to do it, but the most time consuming.

so this harness keeps everything as it is right? From what I could tell it's just what I'm looking for!! I want to keep everything running as it is I just want to change the head unit. Thanks GirlzGT!!!!

GS Dynasty

no problem. like i said, when i was looking, they never had this. and check wal-mart...if they have it, you can pick it up for like $6 or something.
    this should keep everything stock and as is....as far as wiring and speakers go.

What about the existing amps? I know you said wiring and speakers, does that cover the amps as well? Bear with me please, systems just confuse the hell out of me. lol If it's plug and play then I'm good to go. lmao

i did my 96. I switch the factory until for a Pioneer and got the harness from checkers and i did remove the amp as the poineer has a ok built in one. also hooked a 12 disc in the trunk. I will look for the instructions for the hook up and see if i can find yours for the kw. may take me a bit.. i did not find the instructions but did find the site i got them from. They are the best and i used the wiring instructions they can help with.. http://www.installer.com/ and they are down in you area. givem a call
    Wires= http://www.installer.com/wires/
    Last edited by tbird; 03-18-2006 at 04:38 PM.
    yep ..
    Click on the banner for more Lime

GS

Smile

There is no harness for the 460 system, you pretty much have to remove the amps and rewire some of the system. But Its not really recomended without replacing the speakers also because it may decrease your sound quality.

GS Dynasty

From the above link...

A Scosche wiring harness is an absolute must when installing an aftermarket car stereo. It provides easy connection of the car stereo to the factory wiring harness. Each harness includes both power and speaker wires, and each is labeled with its specific function. Any cutting of the factory wires is avoided so all connections are exactly right. All wires are color coded (EIA standard) for easy identification.

The FDK9 is used when replacing the Ford radio and retaining the factory amplifier in Ford and Mercury MACH Audio systems. Utilizes the low-power (10W x 4 max) speaker outputs of the stereo only. For high-power receivers (over 10W per channel), use the Scosche FAI-3 in conjunction with the FDK9. Ford Applications

With the 2 combined, you should have no problems utilizing the stock amp and speakers with your aftermarket radio.

Gotstang? Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by stangmanx
    There is no harness for the 460 system, you pretty much have to remove the amps and rewire some of the system. But Its not really recomended without replacing the speakers also because it may decrease your sound quality.
    I've done this. Removed front amp and added aftermarket headunit. Still using stock speakers (tweeters and mids/lows) and stock rear amps. The directions are on my site... HERE

But I already talked with steelfalcon.. lol anywho..
    Peace...

Thanks for the info!!! Went ahead and bought and installed the New KW-732. Built in HP recorder, G-force Recorder all kinds of little goodies that I'm still playing with. Thanks again for all the help!!

I messed with Texas boomdaddygt's Avatar

Default Read this

This should help. I followed this guide including buying the harness. Works good.
    http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...Head-Unit.html

Gotstang? Newbie!

ahhh but the harness wouldnt fit my 03 gt with 6 disc changer..i tried all the reccomended one's..finally gave up

Thread Information