gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker help

Default Speaker help

I am looking in to getting some new speakers for my car. I found some kenwoods that look decent. I am looking for some speakers that have some decent bass and do not get distorted when i crank it up. i have the stock speakers in there now and they have like zero bass or too much and they get distorted. I have run all new wires to the head unit. to each speaker. I am also lookin in to getting some tweeters for the doors. i found these speakers on e-bay let me know what you guys think. I am looking to spend about 150-200 tops
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
    2000 White Mustang GT Twin Turbo T/3 T/4 380HP 470TQ = Nuff Said

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Louisville Kentucky United States of America

For the door speakers:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday

Good ole Joe Friday is going to clue you in on what you should do. Pay very close attention.

#1. Pick up a set of MACH 460 front door tweeter housings

#2. Pick up a nice set of components:
    Infinity Reference 6800cs would be an excellent choice, the woofer will fit your stock speaker mounts.

#3. Remove stock 460 tweeters from MACH 460 tweeter housing and install the tweeters from the components.

#4. Install

#5. ??????

#6. Profit
    For the back speakers imagine won't be that important because all the sopund reflects off the rear glass anyhow, so just pick up a nice 2 or 3 way speaker. It's like sex, the more ways there are the better PD Pioneer has a 4 way speaker out now I believe, but i'm almost 100 precent positive you wouldent notice a diffrence over a good 3 way speaker.
    Last edited by Joe Friday; 12-11-2004 at 12:26 PM.
    Imports: When Old School means 1991

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

ok so i should pick these up? The two woofers go in the door? then i replace the tweeters in the mach 460 spot? Run the wires to the head unit? Pick up some basic pioneer speakers or somethign like that and be done with it? I want somethign that has some good bass to it. With out killing the sound.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

I would go with a set of 6.5" component kenwoods or kickers for the front... about $100 for the kickers and less for the kenwoods. And a good set of 3 way 6x9's for the rear, any brand will do. You will have to make adapter plates for the speakers but they will sound a bizmillion times better. LOL I put 3 way 6.5" sony Xplods up front and 3 way sony 6x9's in the rear and it sounds bad ass. But I have them aplified too with a Kicker rx460. People swear they are MB's or components. Just shows you if you wire/run correctly and choose some solid equipment you don't have to spend a ton of cash. Although the sony's look like crap.
    253rwhp (not great I know but it's an AODE)
    13.7702s 1/4 (again not great but it's AODE)
    @ 103 MPH
    Crystalworks Performance Website
    AIM: CrystalworksPerf

ha ha ha ha yea. thanks for the input. I woudl liek to stay with all the same brand with the speakers. a componet system woudl be nice that way i know it will sound decent. I do not mind spending some money on somethign if it is worth my while. Like speakers i will get a lot of use out of.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

gonna order here on thursday or so. Was wondering what speakers to get for the back. and gonna order the ones for the front that we talked about above.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

ok i placed a order for the fronts. hopefully they sound good. I have never hooked up a compnonet system. kinda wish more people would talk in here.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Louisville Kentucky United States of America

you won't regret it. the sound imaging is so much better. you will be suprised how much better your system sounds with just the componets in the front. I'm thinking of doing it my self one day. after I get all the other mods I want.
    Imports: When Old School means 1991

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

i have componet speakers and tweeters, i love em. one thing i highly recongmend is amp your speakers they will sound cleaner and if you want louder, also i might be wrong but i thought i heard its harder to blow amped speakers. just an idea

my set up is:

Dragster compents in front, Pioneer 6x8s in the back al amped by a 600w 4 channel Kenwood amp along with a 10" sub powerd by a Cerwin vega amp, my system wont kick any competiton worthy systems asses, but it sounds super clean.

nice thanks for all the help. I should have them soon and hopefully they sound nice. i am goign to get some infinitys 6X8' for the back also.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

I over did it with my subs, I had 2 12's volvenhags and a 1600 watt volfenhag amp. Shattered my back window. So i sold it all. now i am tryign to get back to a set up that sounds good and does not blow shit apart.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Okay, here's some "tech" for you.

The comment about amped speakers being harder to blow...

Yep, when you turn up the volume on your head unit, you'll reach a point where the output amp built into the deck cannot increase the amplitude of the signal any higher. What ends up happening is the top and bottom of the waveforms get clipped.

Crap, here's how any amplifier works...Take my Fosgates. There is a DC-DC switching powersupply that takes the 12vdc car voltage and switches it through a transformer so that the voltage is stepped up. It then gets rectified back to dc, noiw at a higher dc voltage. Say now the power supply for the amp is +24vdc and -24vdc after the switching. That's the power supply section of the amp for you, now the audio amp portion. The audio amp gets to use the + and -24 volt power supply "rails" to amplify the signal. Basically, the tiny weak signal from your headunit can now be made into a 48 volt signal to apply to your speakers. Here's the problem, if you turn up the volume high enough, you overdrive the audio amp portion, this causes the signal to want to be greater than 48volts, the rails are ony at + and - 24volts, so the signal gets clipped once it reaches either the positive or negative rail. This translates into a dc signal being sent to your speaker. This builds a lot of heat in the voice coil of the speaker and eventually is what causes the speaker to blow. Your ears detect this clipping as distortion.

Now, speakers that have an ample power supply will typically play very loudly and cleanly until you reach a mechanical limit of the speaker. For example, my amps make more power than my speakers can handle, they don't distort per se, but the voice coils will bottom out in the speaker housing when driven too hard. Still results in distortion, but for a different reason.

What I'm getting at for your case, adding new speakers will likely not resolve the problem, you need more power. A 300 watt speaker being driven a 12.5 watt amp will not sound anywhere near as good as a 15 watt speaker being driven by a 300watt amp.

I could go into some deep theory. but my technical writing skills may not be up to par.

[

nice way of putting it but i am scared to hook up another amp to my car. after blowing 2 batteries,5 alternators and tons of wires.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by My Cobra
    nice way of putting it but i am scared to hook up another amp to my car. after blowing 2 batteries,5 alternators and tons of wires.
    if installed correctley i don't believe you should have those kinda problems, im not a sterio guy, my sponser is so i dunno a lot about sound systems but im learning, also i really do think amping speakers is a good idea.

yea i think i might give it a shot. hopefully not blow anythign up.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

What kind of equipment are you using? I uh, could definitely lend you some tech support, something you're doing is not right.

[

what do you mean equipment? I have a sony cd player pioneer XM, lighting audio wires (RCA, power and ground wires as well as remote wire and everything)

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

So you're trying to drive your speakers with the head unit's built-in amplifier? Do you have the Mach audio system? (were those standard equip on Cobras?) Just tring to figure out what you have and what you want/need to have to get to your goal.

[

Yes it has the mach 460 sound system. I took it out when i had my subs and amp and just ran the wires to my head unit like the guys at circuit city said woudl be best. So i did that. I do not want to do the sub thing again cause it caused so many electrical problems i blew like 5 alternators and 2 battieries. Blew the tops off of them. So i am kinda worried about adding more subs and amps to my car.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

cobra has anythign ford offers at the time. pretty much the best that ford has to offer. like leather seats mach 460 sound system things like that. that is the wya i understand it but i may be wrong.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

How do you blow the tops off of batteries? Hydrogen burn? Your starter draws many times more current than your typical audio system. Factory alternators are 130amp units beginning in '94, plenty for an amp or two and some subs.

Either way, if you want some good sounding components for the package tray and the doors, you're gonna need a decent amp to get the results you're after. Otherwise you'll end up with overdriven tweeters and no thump in your woofers.

[

yea i do not get it either. but it blew the op off the battery. acid all over the place. had to get all new caps for everything, had to get all new wiring, new battery, new alternator, the whole 9 yards. check out the pics on this page of what my system use to be. I took it out of my camaro and put it in the cobra. thinking it woudl work but man i have had nothign but electrical problems since. Sub page

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

V6 Performance

Wow, i have never heard in my life of someone blowing the top off of their battery. Wow.
    MODS:
    Stereo:
    Pioneer DEH-P4600MP MP3/WMA CD player
    Infinity Reference 6x8s All around
    Performance:
    Cold Air Intake
    215/65R15's BFGoodrich Traction T/A's
    Interior:
    Indiglo Gauges

yea it was pretty screwed up. Acid all over the engine bay. Cleaned it all off with baking soda an everything. It really sucked. They said my alternator overcharged way too much. was jumping from like 12 volts to 60. major spikes. I dunno what was wrong with it. The whole top did not come off liek you are thinking but the places where the I's are on the top blew off and acid was shooting out. pretty damn scarry. My lights got real dim then really bright then real dim then really bright. lol

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

So the alternator/regulator was the culprit. You probably had some arcing in the battery, which on high discharge/charge rates produces plenty of hydrogen. Little O2 with some H2 and you've got yourself a bonafide hydrogen burn (which is a lot like an explosion)

[

Thread Information