gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Default Is an 87 a good 5.0 donor car for a 93?

ok, this winter(I hope) I'm converting my 93 2.3 LX to a 5.0 fuel injected GT and I planned to get a donor car for most of the needed parts. (computer, rearend, driveshaft, tranny if I'm lucky, motor if I'm lucky)

there's an 87 for sale for $500
    should I keep looking for a 90-93, or is the 87 worth my time?

I hear there were some modifications from 90-93, some related to final HP..but damn If I can remember now what those things were and if they really matter?

Could use any help on this! I think this 87 is a good deal!

Gotstang? Newbie!

The only real concern is the mass air meter.If your gonna swap to a bigger cam,heads,etc.You'll need a mass air conversion and a computer out of a 89-93...

thank you! I knew it was SOMETHING like that!
    seems this car is worth getting depending on the tranny.
    (I know I suck, but I'm going with an AOD for now; later I'll either rebuild the AOD and upgrade the torque converter, or; buy a performance tranny online.)

(YES, I know a 5spd C4 is WAY better; but I drive my car everyday in allot of traffic, I'd have more fun with a perfectly built performance automatic 5.0 -with one of those manual/auto shift upgrades!) -If anyone knows where I can get more information about this; or help me remember what it's called, please let me know.

so; regarding the 87; I left the guy a message about it and I'm waiting for a call back.

Gotstang? Moderator

The 87 302 engine is a bit different than the 88 - 93, besides just the mass air. I believe there is some difference in the engine block. It was something decent that ford changed in 88 when they began to offer the mass air system in the California models. In 89 all mustangs had mass air. A mass air system can be had used for $450 including computer or new at $500 complete. You should go for it Nicole.

Will the different engine block create headaches?

ok, so I talked to my Dad today and he says that he can help me swap to the 5.0 over this winter. I need to figure this all out and know exactly what needs to be changed over; He'll probably get pissed If I get him caught in a mess.

I'm a little worried about this swap...I need to know EVERYTHING ahead of time so I plan it right.

Does anyone think it's easier just to pick up the parts I need separately? How can I get like a list of what I'll need? I suppose the problem with this is cost...but If I end up spending $1k-or more on a donor car...

Gotstang? Moderator

Everything you need, with the exception of Mass Air will be on the 87. Engine, tranny, rear end, radiator, etc. You might want to consider picking up an electric fan from flex-a-lite. They are much better than the units working off the waterpump. The Mass air system will be a Density system removal and plug in of the mass air. I have some instructions for the install I can scan and email to you. A new mass air system from Ford comes with directions as well. If you get the parts car you should be good to go.

Does anyone know about the wiring compatibility? I heard the 90-93 should be the same? I'm not sure if the 87 computer and engine wiring harness will plug into my 93 dash wiring...??? I think that's what I'm most concerned about...

Not getting a call back on the 87...and it's not MAF so I'm not going to pursue it.

I do have a offer for a '89 with great motor 83k mi (it's a T5 tranny)
    $900 (extra $100 for delivery) may pay up to $1k
    He also will include a 90-91 harness (w/ automatic tranny) to make my swap easier.

If bought this car I would need to buy the following extra parts:
    AOD
    torque converter
    fly wheel
    transmission cross memeber
    (I may also want to change the rear gears since the std. is geared differently)

I'm still not sure if the 2.3 dash wiring harness will be compatible with any swap (I've read allot with people with a 93 having problems with the 5.0 computer even from another 93 5.0!) I just might need to just get creative to solve this problem; it seems I'll be dealing with it regardless of the donor.

So; have I got it straight?

Does this sound like a good deal????

correction: the 90-93 engine harness includes the ECM for that year also.

Thread Information