gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Default Installed my springs.....

Came out a hell of a lot lower than I thought . It doesn't look bad or too much IMO, but it was more than I had as my ideal. This thing does look mean as hell though setting on the ground even with the stock rims. :evil:
    I really think that it will grow on me. and I did have a few places in town where I bottomed out and heard that wonderful sound of metal on pavement. But the mufflers make a nice ringing sound kind of like chimes or something when you ping them.

Here are a few crappy pics. I just got back from Abilene where I had them installed(90 min drive + all day jetting around town = me to damn tired to wash the car for pics, so just deal with it )

Still need to find an alignment shop that can handle the car. The front is so low that noone I could find in abilene can get it on their rack to align it.
    probably will end up having to take the front bumper off long enough for them to align the car. But me and the guy who installed for me put the shocks right where they were in the stock camber retainers and did a visual check on the alignment. Plus the car didn't track wierd on the way home and the tires look perfectly normal so I think it's fine.

oh, and update on rims. I have three rims so far, and two tires. When I was getting my springs installed, I went to check on them, found out I had two and the other two should be there any day. They let me go look at them in the back and I have never seen such a big ass tire in person before. I think I could squize one of my friends inside the thing.

nice work...looks a thousand times better....I had the same problem with getting mine aligned, easiest wa to do it is drive it on 2X4's then onto the rack...worked for me and mine sits at about the same height

looks awesome, i lowered mine 1.5 and 1.0, now i need new shocks struts, will lower it more, to about like yours... what kind of springs did u get... looks so good, cant wait till u get those rims on... your car is coming together very nicely

I make them all drive em on 2x4s then you can get the arms under them...

GSMC#10 (Got Stang? Midnight Crew)
    GSBMC#10 (Got Stang? Black Mustang Crew)

Quote Originally Posted by EdditGT
    dude you're like the only online friend I have that I actually consider real cuz I've met you, hahaha lol
    and cuz you're a sexy bitch....yeah!

Cody, the alignment is likey not "fine" bro. The camber is going to be too negative and the toe will have changed also. Bumpsteer is an issue because of the design of the suspension. Before you buy expensive cc plates, consider getting camber adjusting bolts ($30) instead. You'll probably need them if the drop is as extreme as the photos look. 5k miles from now the inside edges of your tires will be ground smooth if you don't get it taken care of. Can't wait to see the shots with the wheels on there.

[

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlo5.0
    Cody, the alignment is likey not "fine" bro. The camber is going to be too negative and the toe will have changed also. Bumpsteer is an issue because of the design of the suspension. Before you buy expensive cc plates, consider getting camber adjusting bolts ($30) instead. You'll probably need them if the drop is as extreme as the photos look. 5k miles from now the inside edges of your tires will be ground smooth if you don't get it taken care of. Can't wait to see the shots with the wheels on there.
    well, I already have caster camber plates installed. That is what we used to adjust them. bumpsteer really isn't a issue. at least there was no sign of it today, and if I can't notice it during city driving or hightway driving, than it isn't an issue now is it. I'm gonna have the car aligned before to long. probably within the next two weeks. just waiting for the new rims and tires so I can pile the rims in our truck and head to the nearest ford house to get it aligned. I might try the 2x4 thing. I'll just go to lowes and buy two 8 foots to take with me and then just give them to the shop to use next time. lol. and like I said, with the 90 mile commute I would have noticed the change on the tread when I got home, and there wasn't even a sign.

You obviously have no mechanical ability to go with your fabrication skills

[

you will have negative camber cody trust me.....my car was pigeon toed for about a day until I got it into the shop so my guy eric could align it....bumpsteer was not a problem with my car either, just aligning it

and you obviously have no tact to go with your mouth. You want to flame me, take it to PMs. I have no intent on locking my own thread for this.
    kthxby

Quote Originally Posted by 02BlueStang
    you will have negative camber cody trust me.....my car was pigeon toed for about a day until I got it into the shop so my guy eric could align it....bumpsteer was not a problem with my car either, just aligning it
    well, if I see any, I will adjust it, or get it aligned. as I said I am in the process of getting it fixed. about to call the nearest ford house and see if they can align it.

Not intending to flame you Cody, the way I read you is the way I assume all young people respond to some of us with a "little wisdom". I know a late model Mustang inside and out, I understand the geometry of the front end and the effects of lowering it with all else unchanged. Your response of I don't "see" anything wrong with it was the inflammatory comment. Do you still regard your father as the dumb old guy? There will be a day when he won't seem so dumb after all...

[

Token Camaro Lover ClintEastwood's Avatar

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    White 1998 V6 Mustang
    Mods: Gotstang? stickers

I dont want to be reduced to driving some sort of econobox trash while my blown Mustang waits at home in the driveway - Jim Campisano, editor of MM&FF Magazine
    THANKS TO HMONGS SISTER FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!!!

Not intending to flame you Cody, the way I read you is the way I assume all young people respond to some of us with a "little wisdom". I know a late model Mustang inside and out, I understand the geometry of the front end and the effects of lowering it with all else unchanged. Your response of I don't "see" anything wrong with it was the inflammatory comment. Do you still regard your father as the dumb old guy? There will be a day when he won't seem so dumb after all...
    I have never regarded my father as incompetent. an asshole yes, but never incompetent. and by see, I meant more than visual. I meant that there were no signs of misalignment. This is not my first car, this is not the first time I have worked on or with a car. I understand that you might know more about the subject than I do, but I have relied on people that do alignments for a living for this project. perhaps I should have mentioned that. The person that installed my springs has been doing alignments for many years, and he gave me his input, which is as I stated. Just as I don't assume people of age are not incompetent, you should not assume I am either. I see the value in your first comment, but the second was a direct attack on me. I understand your experience in the subject, so you should understand mine. Don't assume that because of my age I have no knowledge of these matters, and I shall do the same.

well stated cody

car looks great! I have been thinking about lowering mine. What kind of springs did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by cobradrew23
    car looks great! I have been thinking about lowering mine. What kind of springs did you go with?
    They are ford C-springs with a cut dead coil.

well they look good

"cut dead coil".......I could never trust a cut spring, regardless if it was a dead coil...I know that guys think this is the easy way to lower mustangs and to get the look you want without spending a ton of money but springs are designed to handle a certain load and by cutting a portion of the spring you always run the risk of throwing that off....I spent a lot of money to lower my car but I know that it was done correctly and I wont have any problems down the road....

Let me know how it goes though, I have heard some real horror stories with cut C springs but a I have also heard some really pleased people that haven't had any problems with them....

Did you replace your shocks and struts cody? if not you may want to save up for some new ones as the stock ones will go out pretty quickly with it sitting that low to the ground now...I have bilsteins and would HIGHLY recommend them...they may be a little more spendy but well worth it in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by 02BlueStang
    "cut dead coil".......I could never trust a cut spring, regardless if it was a dead coil...I know that guys think this is the easy way to lower mustangs and to get the look you want without spending a ton of money but springs are designed to handle a certain load and by cutting a portion of the spring you always run the risk of throwing that off....I spent a lot of money to lower my car but I know that it was done correctly and I wont have any problems down the road....

Let me know how it goes though, I have heard some real horror stories with cut C springs but a I have also heard some really pleased people that haven't had any problems with them....

Did you replace your shocks and struts cody? if not you may want to save up for some new ones as the stock ones will go out pretty quickly with it sitting that low to the ground now...I have bilsteins and would HIGHLY recommend them...they may be a little more spendy but well worth it in the long run
    ya, I concider this more of a temporary drop. I got the springs and c/c plates for $100, so I couldn't pass the offer. When I can afford it, I will go back with some H&Rs or something. I do need new shocks and struts though. these are really sloppy with the sport springs. They try to throw me out of the car when I hit a bump. lol. I think I will go with the next set of springs before I mess with the shocks though.

Thread Information