gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Default drag racing advice needed!!

This might sound kinda dumb. But I am going out the Saturday night drags tommorow, (legal drags at a track.) and am not sure about a couple of things that I want to do to prepair for it.

First question. My car is a daily driver with just the simple bolt ons, Bassani, 4.10's, etc. I will be running it with my 18" street tires and want some advise on tire presure, amount of fuel I should have in my tank and weather or not I should keep my single 12" speaker box in the trunk. Weighs about 30 to 40 lbs. With the 4.10's and low profile tires, I was thinking I might need the weight over the axel to help with traction.

Any advise? What have you guys done?

show up to the track with less than a 1/4 tank of gas, Take your wheels off ship them to me and buy some shitty ones. Take the sub box out and also the spare tires. Leave your cds and everything you keep in your car at home. Tire pressure does not matter that much. I would say no burn out. You do not need to heat cycle street tires. Go up back in to the water or just skip the water (Do not drive threw the hole) Come out and just give them a quick spin to get the dust off your tires. Launch at diffrent places to see what you like best. Don't drop your clutch ease it out so you do not spin at the line once you have mastered this you will be good to go. So just test it out a bit and have fun with it. Remember anythign you have done on the street does not mean shit. Cause the track is a lot diffrent as far as what you are racing on. Good luck let us know how you do.
    2000 White Mustang GT Twin Turbo T/3 T/4 380HP 470TQ = Nuff Said

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Thanks for the great advice. I'll Fedex the wheels out to you on Monday.

sounds good. you will have no problem winning. is that hyper black like chrome or is it like the smoked chrome or what? i have been lookin for some saleen wheels or bullits and have seen em in that. just wonderin.
    2000 White Mustang GT Twin Turbo T/3 T/4 380HP 470TQ = Nuff Said

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

This style Hyperblack is powder coated black then powder coated in a silver over the black, but they shoot a light coat so the black still comes through. Certain angles it is bright and shinny like chrome and other angles it turns black. I really like them alot.

If you really have the time to mess with it, This is what I do before I go to the track. Take out speaker box, spare tire, rear seat and passenger seat. Also depending on your style of intake, take out your passenger head light when you get to the track. I let my tires down to about 20 psi. Just my 2 cents.

Gotstang? Regular

The most important thing is to have fun with it! Understand that you probably won't do that well at first but with time and practice you will improve.

Most importantly, remember it's just a race for fun, if you start to get sideways then let off of the gas and let the car straighten itself out. Don't try to salvage the run and risk destroying your car or getting yourself hurt.
    GotStang??

Black 2001 GT 5-speed
    Does having a pair of 2.3L 4cyl's and something shaped like a snail bolted to my engine make me slow?
    Add a few letters to VTEC and it's pretty cool.... VorTECh

Thanks everyone for the advice! Great help.
    I'll try to post pictures and times when I get back.

Some very good advise here, but most of all have fun and a little warning, it is addicting once you start. Let us know how you did

DO NOT lower the tire pressure in your tires, unless you have some slicks.
    The only thing you could accomplish by lowering the tire pressure is ruining your sidewalls.

Low profile tires have a stiff sidewall. Slicks are super soft in the sidewall. The reason slicks work with low pressure is they wrinkle and leave a bigger tire-print. Your tires wiil not.

leave when you see the third yellow start lighting up.

Thread Information