gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    Supreme Thread Hijacker stalker's Avatar

Default Turbo or Supercharge

Which is the best way to go, and Why?
    2003 Mustang GT
    It's a brick.

2002 Bonneville SLE Daily driver

Holy Shit that sig is old. Car looks nothing like that.

blower. hear bad things about the tuning with turbos
    2000 White Mustang GT Twin Turbo T/3 T/4 380HP 470TQ = Nuff Said

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Turbo, superchargers use a lot of engine power
    Roman

Its slow, but at least its paid for :crazy:

Quote Originally Posted by My Cobra
    blower. hear bad things about the tuning with turbos
    My mechanic would go blower over turbo anyday...
    "There are only two things I've ever been good at, racing cars and chasing *****." - Caroll Shelby

GSMC#29 Got Stang? Midnight Crew Baby!!!
    "Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting!" - Steve McQueen in Le Mans
    Gas is for cleaning parts...Alcohol is for Drinkin....Nitro is for Racing!!!
    When you drive a Ford you dont need a goodwrench!!

Gotstang? Regular

depends on what you want out of your car really. I like superchargers because they are easy to tune.

and turbos take engine power to run as well. They are quite an exhaust restriction.

you can make gobs of power with either one, you will get more low end with the turbo. but for that you can get a twin screw blower like a kennebell and not have the tuning issues associated with a turbo.
    GotStang??

Black 2001 GT 5-speed
    Does having a pair of 2.3L 4cyl's and something shaped like a snail bolted to my engine make me slow?
    Add a few letters to VTEC and it's pretty cool.... VorTECh

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.js...233&tstart=135

Take a look through that, I had this bookmarked
    Roman

Its slow, but at least its paid for :crazy:

Louisville Kentucky United States of America

Turbo any day of the week. Easier on the engine since it's not taking power to make mroe power. Turbos use energy left over from the compustion, heat and exhaust gas to make more power by forcing air into the engine. It's more efficient, plus if you want to adjust bost you simpley tab a button a few times instead of swapping out a pully.
    Imports: When Old School means 1991

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday
    Turbo any day of the week. Easier on the engine since it's not taking power to make mroe power. Turbos use energy left over from the compustion, heat and exhaust gas to make more power by forcing air into the engine. It's more efficient, plus if you want to adjust bost you simpley tab a button a few times instead of swapping out a pully.
    i agree with this 100% eventhough i have a s/c

Gotstang? Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday

Ok, people keep missing this... Turbos do take power to run. Your putting a big restriction in your exhaust with a turbo. They give more torque in the low end because of the added back pressure, but at higher rpm they take plenty of hp to run as well.

You don't get power for nothing. Turbos are a bit more efficient as far as the power to run them then superchargers are but they definitely take power to spin them.

stick some 1" exhaust pipes on your car sometime and see what it does to your high end horsepower
    GotStang??

Black 2001 GT 5-speed
    Does having a pair of 2.3L 4cyl's and something shaped like a snail bolted to my engine make me slow?

The turbo doesn't restrict the exhaust nearly as much as the S/C pulley adds parasitic drag to the drive belt. Pound for pound (of boost), the turbo makes more power, and more torque - plain and simple. But the initial cost is more expensive than a supercharger (for mustang kits). If you've got the money to do it right, the turbo will make more power than the supercharger.

Read this http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm
    -Ryan D.

-sig by crimsonblack

Quote Originally Posted by MachGT
    Ok, people keep missing this... Turbos do take power to run. Your putting a big restriction in your exhaust with a turbo. They give more torque in the low end because of the added back pressure, but at higher rpm they take plenty of hp to run as well.

You don't get power for nothing. Turbos are a bit more efficient as far as the power to run them then superchargers are but they definitely take power to spin them.

stick some 1" exhaust pipes on your car sometime and see what it does to your high end horsepower
    That's just rediculous. Who in the hell would run 1" exhaust pipes? Part of the requirements for a good turbo kit would be the larger diameter exhaust tubing. Any time you forcefeed your engine with boost, you need to run a more free-flowing exhaust setup. A 1" exhaust setup would hurt a supercharged stang just as much as a turbo car. Either way the engine air has to escape before more can be forced in.
    -Ryan D.

-sig by crimsonblack

Gotstang? Regular

Your not getting the point. I'm not saying that the turbo isn't more efficient then the supercharger. I'm just saying that it does take power to run it. It's not free power. the only power adder that doesn't take power to run is nitrous.

the point of the 1" pipe comment is that the turbo is a restriction. I'm not saying that you should run 1" exhaust lol
    GotStang??

Black 2001 GT 5-speed

stock as a rock
    Owensville IN USA the only one that matters

From what I have seen, and I am no expert on either one, a properly sized turbo will out power a centrifugal charger every time. And the torque numbers seem to be unattainable with the centri sc. The twin screw or roots seems to be the way to go with a 6000 rpm street car because it gives instant power. But if ya build an engine to rev a bit higher, the turbo will eat the superchargers.

Dont flame me here guys. This is just what i have heard from dealers and racers in my area.

TUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOO OO they take nothing away frome the egine its almost free horse hp added the fact you have the buy the turbo just get your self a intercooler
    4 bangin b*sterd
    I love BOOOOOST and turbos ..

http://www.turbomustangs.com/ http://www.toohighpsi.com/ http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...php?forumid=15 I HAVE A SMILEY IDEA SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE ONE HOLDING A TURBO OR A TURBO SUCKING UP A SMILEY
    Last edited by spiffy; 05-28-2005 at 12:03 PM.
    4 bangin b*sterd

Gotstang? Regular

A turbo is not free horsepower, to think that is the case is ignoring any semblence of common sense
    GotStang??

Black 2001 GT 5-speed

I say KB...But what would I know on that subject.

Turbo is just as good but you will have a hard time finding a complete kit and a tuner that will know how to tune one.

For the easy of install, reliability(Long term) and $$ go with a supercharger.

./M@
    2K Stg2 Roush Vert S/C 430/440
    I am not a Psycho...But I play one on a PC!

Legendary:
    It's like if a cobra and a saleen had a kid, it grew up, and kicked the sh*t out of it's parents, this is what it would look like.

Gotstang? Regular

I'd love to have a turbo setup but I wouldn't do it without a motor that's built to handle it
    GotStang??

Black 2001 GT 5-speed

i hear peopel saying that the average wait time on a turbo is around 9 months. for a complete turbo kit. but that is just waht they say on SVTperformance.
    2000 White Mustang GT Twin Turbo T/3 T/4 380HP 470TQ = Nuff Said

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Gotstang? Regular

Quote Originally Posted by My Cobra
    i hear peopel saying that the average wait time on a turbo is around 9 months. for a complete turbo kit. but that is just waht they say on SVTperformance.

A friend of mine got a Hellion kit in a week after ordering it on his 2000 GT.
    GotStang??

Black 2001 GT 5-speed

The turbo is going to be easier on engine parts for the same rwhp. That s/c adds a huge load to the snout of your crankshaft that the turbo doesn't.

Skip both and drop a high compression 408 in there instead.

[

Quote Originally Posted by MachGT
    A turbo is not free horsepower, to think that is the case is ignoring any semblence of common sense
    when i say free i mean it doesnt take any horse power away from the engine its runs of the exhaust flow the worse thing you get from it is back pressure with really itsnt that bad as far as i know
    4 bangin b*sterd

theres still only so much proformance you will get out of ether the turbo or s/c with out geting forged rods and pistons
    4 bangin b*sterd

Gotstang? Regular

Quote Originally Posted by spiffy
    when i say free i mean it doesnt take any horse power away from the engine its runs of the exhaust flow the worse thing you get from it is back pressure with really itsnt that bad as far as i know

Ahhh, I C. I was referring only to horsepower consumption.

Either way, boost is fun regardless of how you get it
    GotStang??

Black 2001 GT 5-speed

Thread Information