gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Token Camaro Lover ClintEastwood's Avatar

Default Drove a 5.0 today....need Feedback please.

Its pretty badass, loud as hell, black leather, fun to drive. Mach system. They will give me $6000 for my 98 V6 5 speed. I forgot i had my car running behind it, and when i went to move it i ground the starter because i couldnt hear it running when the salesman started up the 5.0, lol. So what do you guys think?

$8,995
    8 Cylinder Engine, 5.0, Automatic Transmission, 2 wheel drive, 88K Miles, Exterior Color: RED, Interior Color: BLACK, 2 Door, Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control, AM/FM Stereo, Cassette Player, CD Player, Premium Sound, Fold Down Rear Seat, Dual Air Bags, ABS, Leather Interior, Power Seat, Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Alloy Wheels, CUSTOM EXHAUST, HEADERS, AFTERMARKET DISTRIBUTOR, AFTERMARKET TORQUE CONVERTER, 3:08 REAR END (GOOD MILEAGE)

Last edited by ClintEastwood; 05-26-2005 at 10:02 PM.
    White 1998 V6 Mustang
    Mods: Gotstang? stickers

I dont want to be reduced to driving some sort of econobox trash while my blown Mustang waits at home in the driveway - Jim Campisano, editor of MM&FF Magazine
    THANKS TO HMONGS SISTER FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!!!

8 > 6
    2002 GMC Yukon

Pair of Cadence Triplex 2-ohm 12” Subwoofers
    Custom “Built To Spec” Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure
    Cadence Amadeus 1000w Digital Mono Block Subwoofer Amplifier
    Orion 4004 4-channel Amplifier
    Set of Cadence Ultrashock 5.25” Component Speakers
    Set of Focal Access 165A Component Speakers
    Cadence Ultrashock 1.2 Farad Capacitor
    Cadence Fuseblock
    Cadence In-Line 100 Amp Circuit Breaker
    Kenwood AM/FM/CD/MP3 KTC-SR902 Head Unit w/ SIRIUS Satellite Radio

1999 Mustang GT Vert 5spd

4.10 Gears
    CAI
    FRPP "King Cobra" Clutch

1. The GT is WAAAAAY overpriced

2. The bra usually ruins paint so you cant take it off without having a difference

3. Automatic GT? What a waste of a sports car, its as fast as my stock v6

4. 3.08 rear end? WOW That needs to be changed asap.
    Roman

Its slow, but at least its paid for :crazy:

gas mileage > 1/4 mile time, at this point in my life anyway. I drove it and it still pulls really hard, id bet money it would still beat your car no prob because this car has everything done to it. I couldnt even feel it shift. I know the tech at this dealership(hes a huge mustang guy) and he drives all the cars home(he lives in the same town as i do) to see how the ride over long distances...and he said the gas guage barely moved on it. That means a lot to me when i drive a 90 mile round trip to work every day. Plus the exhaust note plus black leather interior is a huge selling point to me. Its worth 9 grand with all the mods done to it, the paint is perfect, the tires are new.
    White 1998 V6 Mustang

I dont want to be reduced to driving some sort of econobox trash while my blown Mustang waits at home in the driveway - Jim Campisano, editor of MM&FF Magazine

Brass tacks, what EXACTLY is done to it? They are giving you a lot for your car, I bought my '00 V6 for $6500. Now, if that GT has heads, intake, cam, MAF, TB and some other goodies like a shift kit and gears...I'd consider it a steal for the additional money. Just remember, it's modified therefore it's been beat on. Parts may break in the near future, they might not. My stock T5 is still living large after a hundred 1/4 mile passes and some pretty serious abuse. The only other thing to ever fail on my car has been the pickup in the distributor.

Get us more info, please!

[

On the auto vs. stick arguement. I used to race a nearly identical GTS in Hawaii. My car was stick, his was auto. Bone stock I'd go 15.2 or so at 95mph. He'd go 15.7's or so. He got 3.73's and a shift kit, I got some exhaust. He started going 14.7's and I went 14.9's/15.0's. There's a bunch of et in a shift kit and some electronic tuning.

[

What i noticed is the aftermarket distributor, stainless headers, full exhaust, underdrive pulleys, torque convertor, i couldnt tell it was shifting at all as i went down the highway. It sounded great all the way through the powerband. It accelerated a lot harder than my V6 and i didnt even push it hard, it got to 60 in no time, i had it at about 3/4 throttle and it was just roaring. The cool thing was that at 60 mph i was at about 1600 RPMS. It was fun lookin at the 150 mph speedo and knowing that i could probably hit that speed.
    White 1998 V6 Mustang

t can't make too much power if the stock heads are on there. If there is a set of aftermarket heads on the car, take the plunge. If not, you're well over a grand from real fun.

[

i wouldnt know the difference, but i could feel that it had a ton more than my 150 hp tired ass boring yawn job of a V6.

Maybe i should go back there tomorrow and ask if i can take pics of the engine bay and whatever else. What else do i need to know about this car?
    Last edited by ClintEastwood; 05-26-2005 at 08:42 PM.
    White 1998 V6 Mustang

Can you take pics of the engine? or ask the tech?

[

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlo5.0
    Can you take pics of the engine? or ask the tech?
    yea maybe ill go back tomorrow with my camera. I could give the tech a call, he lives in the same town i do.
    White 1998 V6 Mustang

I would not pay over 6,500 for that car. Look on e-bay dude. you will find what you want there are cars out there for you, if you look. why have one tomorrow that you will not be happy with when you can wait a week or two and have one that you really like and are not paying way too much for.
    2000 White Mustang GT Twin Turbo T/3 T/4 380HP 470TQ = Nuff Said

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

i have one right now that im not happy with....
    White 1998 V6 Mustang

The cars just not worth that with that kind of mileage. I wouldnt touch it.
    Roman

yea it books at $6640. But mine books at $4450 for trade-in value. They will give me $6000 for my car(same price as i payed for it over a year ago). So thats $1550 more than its really worth. And they want $9000 for the 5.0, which is $2360 over what its worth. So if you think about it were $1080 away from an even deal. So if they go down $1080 on it, that should be a fair trade.
    White 1998 V6 Mustang

88k miles is NOTHING on a 5.0. If there's a possibility that the car has a boatload of aftermarket parts, it's a great deal. WTF pay for a car on Ebay or wherever else so that you can get it for 2Kor 3k less just to turn around and dump 5k back into it to get it to the same level? Gotta look at the big picture, but we don't have it because we don't have an accurate laundry list of parts. If it's stock heads/cam/intake, then I'd walk away or start talking them down, way down.

[

Yeah you are lucky they are giving you $6000, hell I only paid $4000 for mine
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by ClintEastwood
    yea it books at $6640. But mine books at $4450 for trade-in value. They will give me $6000 for my car(same price as i payed for it over a year ago). So thats $1550 more than its really worth. And they want $9000 for the 5.0, which is $2360 over what its worth. So if you think about it were $1080 away from an even deal. So if they go down $1080 on it, that should be a fair trade.
    You're maybe a thousand away from a straight up stock for stock trade. The MSD is worth $225, the headers are $225, catback $300, H/X-pipe ~$200, etc...

Bottom line, look at what's on the car before jumping to any quick decisions. If a V6 car like mine was valued at 6K, would you be willing to pay 10K for it if it had a 347 w/twin turbos and 5k in body kit/wheels, and another 2k in various mods? Seems to make plenty of financial sense to me.

[

You're maybe a thousand away from a straight up stock for stock trade. The MSD is worth $225, the headers are $225, catback $300, H/X-pipe ~$200, etc...

Bottom line, look at what's on the car before jumping to any quick decisions. If a V6 car like mine was valued at 6K, would you be willing to pay 10K for it if it had a 347 w/twin turbos and 5k in body kit/wheels, and another 2k in various mods? Seems to make plenty of financial sense to me.
    u have twin turbos???

"I use Castrol GTX on my girlfriend, and I use the high mileage Castrol on my older ladies. Its an excellent lube"

Life begins at 8 psi... EddieGT's Avatar

That is WAY overpriced! You can get a '98 for about that much and has more top end and better gas mileage (since you seem so concerned about that). The last iterations of the 5.0 weren't all that.
    1997 SVT Cobra Vert (Black)
    2001 Audi S4 6-speed (Silver)
    1992 Subaru SVX LS-L (Silver/Black)
    History:
    2004 SVT Cobra Coupe (Black) - 2004 40th Anniversary Limited Edition (authentic...) Mustang GT Vert (Black with Arizona Beige stripes) - 2000 Mustang GT Vert (Silver) - 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Red) - 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Red) - 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (Silver) - 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (Red) - 1999 Mazda Protege ES (Silver) - 1990 Undisclosed Ford Vehicle (dark blue) - 1985.5 Toyota MR2 (Red)

"Eaton" F-Bodies since 2004... (But 'til 2005...)
    GSBMC #999 (Got Stang? Black Mustang Crew)

thats a good point, it would cost way more than $3000 to take my car to the level that this one is already at. I might just go over there with $2000 in cash plus my car and see if they will take it.

Eddie: 5.0 has the badass factor working for it..4.6's dont really do anything for me, they dont scare me. When i started this 5.0 it sounded like it wanted to rip someones head off and shit down their throat...yum.
    Last edited by ClintEastwood; 05-27-2005 at 07:35 PM.
    White 1998 V6 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by EddieGT
    The last iterations of the 5.0 weren't all that.
    No they weren't as good as a PI headed 4.6. But those didn't show till 99. They were every bit as good as the old Foxes, the EEC just has some warranty cushion built in that cost a few tenths at the strip. Oh, and too much low rpm/medium load timing. All curable with a chip/Tweecer.

A 5.0 with a H/C/I upgrade is going to walk smartly away from a PI headed 4.6. For less dinero in just about every case. There's just too much aftermarket support for a 5.0, high power 4.6's come with a power adder and not much else is available. 10 years later and cam's and reworked heads are just getting mainstream support.

[

Louisville Kentucky United States of America

Way overpriced. I picked up my GT w 55K miles on the clock for 7k FOr that kind of money you could get a nice 99 or 00 PI GT. Auto or 5speed dosen't really matter that much IMO it's whatever you like more. I just perfer the 5spd plus it gets better gas mileage
    Imports: When Old School means 1991

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday
    Way overpriced. I picked up my GT w 55K miles on the clock for 7k FOr that kind of money you could get a nice 99 or 00 PI GT. Auto or 5speed dosen't really matter that much IMO it's whatever you like more. I just perfer the 5spd plus it gets better gas mileage
    I'll be the first to call BS on that price. Not at a dealer near me anyway.

[

Good price on that GT, I picked up my V6 for $4000 with 70k.
    Roman

Thread Information