gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gotstang? Newbie!

Default hhmmm 190 hp v6 vs 150 hp v6 v6's are better than gt's i.m.o.

Ok i have a question , i have found outthe 1994-1998 v6 makes 150 hp but the 1999-2003 v6 makes 190 hp

are the engines the same can i make my 1997 have the 190 hp @ 190 jp thats only 35 hp lower than the gt and if i used a vortech supercharger and added 45-50% more power i would be around 280 hp, i see that the heads are suppose to be different and the pistones are coated or something like that but are the heads interchangeable

add cai headers exhaust and inercooler should hit 300 + hp (1997 cobra 305 hp) and still be a daily driver get good gas milage dependable and low cost insurance.

my question is, would a cam increase the hp by 30+40 hp alone did they do some air to fule mods on the 99-03 is it just the computer tuning to do this , heads, i need to know 40 hp is almost 25% could i just pick up a 1999 232 and use all my curent intake exhaust ect and get the 190+ hp

this is serious i am in the process of deciding is i wanna spend 3500 dollars on a gt engine tranny and rear end

5000 on a svt engine tranny and rearend

or spend 3000 on the 232 be lighter, faster, and a sleeper

if they say you only drive a 6er tell them the the v6 vert model is 510 pounds lighter than a gt and almost 600 lbs lighter than a cobra

1997 v6 vert is about 2980 lbs
    1997 gt coup is about 3500 lbs

to those who think thats not alot of difference, think if it like this ther 97 v6 vert is almost 20% lighter than the gt

now take the gt vs the v6 if both make about the same hp and torque the v6 is lighter who would win in a race, with cobra brakes or brembo's who would stop faster who can corner better, for these reasons i chose to go with the v6

last reason i chose a v6 look for a used gt engine in good condition about 900-1500 depending on condition, now look for a used v6 in good condition , 350-500 dollars, i can blow up 3 v6's and be out 1500 bucks vs alot more on the gt ,

this is my opinion on the whole idea i know the gt,s can be suped uo but be honest the v6 has so much more room to work on it and its something different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY .02 cents

da greedy one

Louisville Kentucky United States of America

Thumbs down

That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever read. My brain hurts from reading that crap. I also don't see where you got the idea that a GT only has 225 Horsepower at the crank. it's 260 and 305 ft lbs on a Pi motor. Also with a supercharger and headers you're going to be hard pressed to make over 300 horsepower missing 2 cylinders. Also have fun pushing any power through the V6 7.5" one wheel drive rear end.

Also I think you've got this whole GT vs V6 thing wrong. Believe it or not even though the V6 weighs less... it will get rolled by the GT. stock for stock. I know this is astonishing for you, sit back and take it in.

I honestly hope you get the V6 and are hugely disappointed, because with the money you spend on a V6, you could of had a GT with much more power.

Also V6 vert curb weight 3069, GT coup curb weight: 3242
    Last edited by Joe Friday; 05-18-2005 at 03:27 PM.
    Imports: When Old School means 1991

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Jeez, that was rude...

Don't be mislead by just the HP ratings. Torque is what is going to get your 3300# car rolling, not HP. The 190hp V6 doesn't produce near the 300+ft-lbs of torque that the V8's do. Don't know about cammer motors, but my 95 put 280ft-lbs to the wheels stock. PI headed 4.6's should be close or better.

I sold a split port swap kit from my '00 V6 motor to a guy for $450. That included absolutely everything he needed. From what I gather, that is a typical going rate for the parts.

So, to answer your question, yes. You need the intake and heads from the 99 up six. You also need the emissions plumbing. A good kit will include all that for you.

Being realistic about street driving means that a 300hp V6 would probably fare well against a 400hp V8 car. By the time it made any real difference, you'd both be at speeds that would likely land you in jail.

A lightweight sleeper has some appeal...

A big ass cam in a V8 has even more...
    Last edited by NoSlo5.0; 05-18-2005 at 04:17 PM.

[

With you living in Cali with the smog Nazis, the split port swap plus supercharger is definitely the way to go. It's much easier and less costly. The results will be adequate.

[

Gotstang? Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday
    That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever read. My brain hurts from reading that crap. I also don't see where you got the idea that a GT only has 225 Horsepower at the crank. it's 260 and 305 ft lbs on a Pi motor. Also with a supercharger and headers you're going to be hard pressed to make over 300 horsepower missing 2 cylinders. Also have fun pushing any power through the V6 7.5" one wheel drive rear end.

Also I think you've got this whole GT vs V6 thing wrong. Believe it or not even though the V6 weighs less... it will get rolled by the GT. stock for stock. I know this is astonishing for you, sit back and take it in.

I honestly hope you get the V6 and are hugely disappointed, because with the money you spend on a V6, you could of had a GT with much more power.

FIRST OFF i gave my opinion, and if you dont like it you didnt have to read it,

as for why i am going to a v6 its for several reasons, i am not trying to beat gt's i am only comparing the 2
    and why some people would actually consider fixing up a v6
    and btw YOU ARE WRONG about the hp rating for a 1997-98 gt it was actually 215-225 hp (the 1999-2003 has 265 hp)
    now as for the money lets see i can get a good quality 1997 v6 vert (under 80,000 miles) for bout 3500 dollarsthe gt is 8500-9500 dollars, my insurance would be 225 a month instead of 130 (savings of 1140 a year), my gas would cost me 45.00 a week instead of 30.00 a week ( 780-800 a year savings for the v6)

so lets see with the purchase price and the savings for gas and insurance i saved $6400 dollars,
    now even if i spend 3500 dollars on my v6 for new heads a supercharger and a 8.8 rearend, i am ahead of the game by 2900-3000 this dont even inclued the next few years savings i will have,
    no my v6 will not smoke a gt, but it will be sporty fast and scare the shyt out of most gt's when they dont leave me in the dust i may not beat them but they will find me on their a$$

i would like to know where you got your weights, for the 1997 vert and coupe, mine were from the dealer your gonna tell me the hard top and 1/4 of an engine (2 cylinders heads intake block ect) only weights 200 pounds!

i didnt get into torque as i dont know what the ratings would be with any mods on the v6 i know it would be less than the stock v8

if you would like to see the hp differences between years and models

go here---> http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/history_eng.htm

****** AND BTW Joe Friday ITS NOT WHAT YOU GOT ITS HOW YOU USE IT, and bigger is not allways better. If that was true you wouldn't keep hitting your fat head on the top of dah car when you get out ****
    Last edited by greedy; 05-18-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Gotstang? Newbie! Duncan McDougal's Avatar

Can you link where you got those numbers cause a v6 vert weighs around 3300 lbs. A v6 manual weighs about 3100. It is also not hard for a single port to break 300 hp, but you do need about 13 lbs of boost (which is not so great on an engine the age of most single ports. Now a split port is easier, their are guys making 300 rwhp with just 7 pounds of boost with a turbo.

Gotstang? Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan McDougal
    Can you link where you got those numbers cause a v6 vert weighs around 3300 lbs. A v6 manual weighs about 3100. It is also not hard for a single port to break 300 hp, but you do need about 13 lbs of boost (which is not so great on an engine the age of most single ports. Now a split port is easier, their are guys making 300 rwhp with just 7 pounds of boost with a turbo.

I got the weight from the ford dealer,

i want to swap on the split port heads i dont care to break 300 hp it was just an example of what could happen if someone wanted to spend about 3500 bucks,

thanks for dah v6 support pepes

i dont want to beat gt's i wanna eat dem up

Quote Originally Posted by greedy
    I got the weight from the ford dealer,

i want to swap on the split port heads i dont care to break 300 hp it was just an example of what could happen if someone wanted to spend about 3500 bucks,

thanks for dah v6 support pepes

i dont want to beat gt's i wanna eat dem up
    For 3500 you could easily put a stage 3+ set up from Supersix for that amount.
    Oh and they lied to you at the dealer. Here is a good website for the weight info. http://www.v6stangs.com/index.php?pa...ight/index.php

And here is a link for the ford service manual.
    http://www.jonheese.com/fordcds/

Gotstang? Newbie! youngyetangry's Avatar

first off, this guy was just askin a question and second what tech school did you graduate from??? because u must be a genious to realize a six vs an 8 would win wow my hats off to you buddy but lemme ask you this show a gt that can beat mine?? i have a 6 and unless its boostin its not gettin past me! think im blowin smoke?....well beside's whats on my webpage i now have ported upper and lower intake's super heads and a cam from super six motor sports...i also have a upgraded to the 18 pound pully(max) and have the boost cooler from snow performance ... so before you start talkin make sure you know what your talkin about....and o yea thats all with 1 wheel spinn'n when i go up to the track and get my new time...ill be sure to post it so you can see what a real 6 can do ...... dont mean to get all braggy but i hate dicks!

FIRST OFF i gave my opinion, and if you dont like it you didnt have to read it,

as for why i am going to a v6 its for several reasons, i am not trying to beat gt's i am only comparing the 2
    and why some people would actually consider fixing up a v6
    and btw YOU ARE WRONG about the hp rating for a 1997-98 gt it was actually 215-225 hp (the 1999-2003 has 265 hp)
    now as for the money lets see i can get a good quality 1997 v6 vert (under 80,000 miles) for bout 3500 dollarsthe gt is 8500-9500 dollars, my insurance would be 225 a month instead of 130 (savings of 1140 a year), my gas would cost me 45.00 a week instead of 30.00 a week ( 780-800 a year savings for the v6)

so lets see with the purchase price and the savings for gas and insurance i saved $6400 dollars,
    now even if i spend 3500 dollars on my v6 for new heads a supercharger and a 8.8 rearend, i am ahead of the game by 2900-3000 this dont even inclued the next few years savings i will have,
    no my v6 will not smoke a gt, but it will be sporty fast and scare the shyt out of most gt's when they dont leave me in the dust i may not beat them but they will find me on their a$$

i would like to know where you got your weights, for the 1997 vert and coupe, mine were from the dealer your gonna tell me the hard top and 1/4 of an engine (2 cylinders heads intake block ect) only weights 200 pounds!

i didnt get into torque as i dont know what the ratings would be with any mods on the v6 i know it would be less than the stock v8

if you would like to see the hp differences between years and models

go here---> http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/history_eng.htm

****** AND BTW Joe Friday ITS NOT WHAT YOU GOT ITS HOW YOU USE IT, and bigger is not allways better. If that was true you wouldn't keep hitting your fat head on the top of dah car when you get out ****
    o trust me you WILL beat gt's with those mods....boost is the best thing that ever happened to racing....dont listen to dicks like him just smile and laugh cause you can beat them with 2 less cylinders and save 5 bucks on gas....

I'll run you...

[

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlo5.0
    I'll run you...
    i did say a gt but if i ever take a trip down to there ill see what we can do....nice lookin ride though ...it would deff. be a honor to lose to u!

Personally I have been doing the debate of souping up the sixer engine with a blower, PP and what not...

But dollar for dollar it is just better to have those extra 2 cylinders....With the money I could spend getting half decent numbers out of my 6 I could have just bought a GT and had the exact same thing but with more torque, better sounding exhaust and a better base to build off of.....

I made the decision to sell my six when I turn 21 and pick up a Cobra if insurance will allow it...if not then I will be getting a used GT Drop top and doing a Saleen Speedster Conversion on it....Ive always wanted one but insurance has stopped me from building one, after I turn 21 I should be able to afford the monthly charge of insurance and be able to have my very own custom Saleen that will have my name on it

DO whatever makes YOU happy....you are the one who has to cruise around in it....personally I get pissed that I own a 6 everytime I hear a GT go down the road with performance exhaust on it....what makes me even madder is seeing a lady or guy driving a GT and they have nothing done to it to make it unique....YOU BOUGHT A GT, AT LEAST MAKE THE THING GRUMBLE

Gotstang? Newbie!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 02BlueStang
    Personally I have been doing the debate of souping up the sixer engine with a blower, PP and what not...

But dollar for dollar it is just better to have those extra 2 cylinders....With the money I could spend getting half decent numbers out of my 6 I could have just bought a GT and had the exact same thing but with more torque, better sounding exhaust and a better base to build off of.....

I made the decision to sell my six when I turn 21 and pick up a Cobra if insurance will allow it...if not then I will be getting a used GT Drop top and doing a Saleen Speedster Conversion on it....Ive always wanted one but insurance has stopped me from building one, after I turn 21 I should be able to afford the monthly charge of insurance and be able to have my very own custom Saleen that will have my name on it

DO whatever makes YOU happy....you are the one who has to cruise around in it....personally I get pissed that I own a 6 everytime I hear a GT go down the road with performance exhaust on it....what makes me even madder is seeing a lady or guy driving a GT and they have nothing done to it to make it unique....YOU BOUGHT A GT, AT LEAST MAKE THE THING GRUMBLE
    i am betting at 21 your rates wont change at all for the cobra, you dont get a discount until your atleast 23-25 and i am 31 with 1 speeding ticket and they are trying to give me the shaft on my insurance becuse i have the v6 i was told it it was a v8 i would pay 225,month if it was a cobra i would pay 300 per month. but i live in the city and traffic sucks here so rates are higher!!!

for the haters of the 6 check out www.v6power.net and see what guys are doing over there.

Quote Originally Posted by 02BlueStang

i disagree gt's cost 12000 for a 00 with decent miles u can pik up a six for half that and with all my mods i still havnt reached the 12000 mark ang there is kno way i stock gt would even come close ...i even blew by a 05 v6 and those are supposed to be like 260 hp or somthin and i toke it by 6 cars.....but i do agree that when i turn 20-21 when that 07 cobra comes out with 465 horse's...its mine...im down with the 6's and stuff and i love my car but you throw a new exhaust on that cobra some new pully's and your at 500 hp....its just to much to compete with...... but if i had a choice between a stock gt or a 6 with 6000 grand to work with....id take the 6.......and as for the sound...get duals and take them cats off and ull be fine

FIRST OFF i gave my opinion, and if you dont like it you didnt have to read it.
    Exactley!. #'s were obtained from autotrader.com in the technical spec section of the web site.

AND BTW Joe Friday ITS NOT WHAT YOU GOT ITS HOW YOU USE IT, and bigger is not allways better. If that was true you wouldn't keep hitting your fat head on the top of dah car when you get out
    I don't really understand that... but whatever I guess

YOU ARE WRONG about the hp rating for a 1997-98 gt it was actually 215-225 hp (the 1999-2003 has 265 hp)
    I think im my post it said the PI 4.6.. let me check... yeah it did..

your gonna tell me the hard top and 1/4 of an engine (2 cylinders heads intake block ect) only weights 200 pounds!
    Convertables are coupes that have the roof cut off. Ford beef's up the chasis to be able to meet goverment regulations and to stiffen up the chasis which was designed to have a roof. So yeah it weighs less, but the reinforcements add weight back into the car. The only mustang to be designed as a convertable from teh ground up is the 05' and thats where alot of the extra weight in the coupes comes from, it has much of the convertable chasis supports already built into the car.

In all you can fix up your V6 and make it pretty powerful, but the GT is a much better platform to start from.

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Gotstang? Regular

Exactley!. #'s were obtained from autotrader.com in the technical spec section of the web site.

I don't really understand that... but whatever I guess

I think im my post it said the PI 4.6.. let me check... yeah it did..

Convertables are coupes that have the roof cut off. Ford beef's up the chasis to be able to meet goverment regulations and to stiffen up the chasis which was designed to have a roof. So yeah it weighs less, but the reinforcements add weight back into the car. The only mustang to be designed as a convertable from teh ground up is the 05' and thats where alot of the extra weight in the coupes comes from, it has much of the convertable chasis supports already built into the car.

In all you can fix up your V6 and make it pretty powerful, but the GT is a much better platform to start from.
    now see how easy that is joe. informative and you did it in a way that you wer'nt rude as hell
    good info

passin with gas!
    www.autosoundandperformance.com
    www.spadekreations.com
    www.granddesignmats.com
    cadence audio

KromeandKolor.com

Me.. Rude.. never

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

still want a GT motor and tranny?
    2002 GMC Yukon

Pair of Cadence Triplex 2-ohm 12” Subwoofers
    Custom “Built To Spec” Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure
    Cadence Amadeus 1000w Digital Mono Block Subwoofer Amplifier
    Orion 4004 4-channel Amplifier
    Set of Cadence Ultrashock 5.25” Component Speakers
    Set of Focal Access 165A Component Speakers
    Cadence Ultrashock 1.2 Farad Capacitor
    Cadence Fuseblock
    Cadence In-Line 100 Amp Circuit Breaker
    Kenwood AM/FM/CD/MP3 KTC-SR902 Head Unit w/ SIRIUS Satellite Radio

1999 Mustang GT Vert 5spd

4.10 Gears
    CAI
    FRPP "King Cobra" Clutch

Gotstang? Newbie!

I have some specs here i would like to post here and would like some feed back please also a few questions

Coupe 3.8L 150 hp V6 torqe (lb-ft) 215 @ 2750 RPM

GTcoupe 4.6L 215 hp V8 torqe 290 @ 3250 RPM

Convertible 3.8L 150 hp V6 torqe 215 @ 2750 RPM

GT convertible 4.6L 215 hp V8 torqe 290 @ 3250 RPM

Cobra coupe 4.6L 305 hp V8 torqe300 @ 4800 RPM

Cobra convertible 4.6L 305 hp V8 torqe 300 @ 4800 RPM

this is 1997 specs for the mustangs

Coupe 3.8L 190 hp V6 torqe (lb-ft) 220 @ 2750 RPM

GTcoupe 4.6L 260 hp V8 torqe 302 @ 4000 RPM

Convertible 3.8L 190 hp V6 torqe 220 @ 2750 RPM

GT convertible 4.6L 260 hp V8 tore 302 @ 4000 RPM

Cobra coupe 4.6L 320 hp V8 torquqe 317 @ 4750 RPM

Cobra convertible 4.6L 320 hp V8 torqe 317 @ 4750 RPM

i got these specs off of

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...IP&tab=2&sub=0

my questions are as followed,

on both the v6 and v8 the improvement ids only about a 5% increast on the torqe but its like 30% increast on the horse power , now as a standard daily driver, what is more noticable the horse power or the torqe!

my real question is this of lets take the 1997 v6 mustang 150 hp 215 torque if i were to add a supercharger it would increast the hp by 45-50% ( i am estimating 200+ hp ) but what does it do to the torque ratings are they also getting the 45-50% boost or is it completly different, also since the v6 peaks at a lower rpm does it actually begin losing torque at higher rpms say 3500 to 4500 rpm( i am guessing it wouldnt pull as hard at top end) or is it consistant!

thanks in advance people

greedy

Gotstang? Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by _eazy_
    still want a GT motor and tranny?

if i did a gt swap it would cost to much right now, it would cost me 2500 + shipping i would also need the wiring, cooling system, ecu rearend and exhaust

would end up being well over 4000 dollars, + labor

sorry no thanks

I have some specs here i would like to post here and would like some feed back please also a few questions

Coupe 3.8L 150 hp V6 torqe (lb-ft) 215 @ 2750 RPM

GTcoupe 4.6L 215 hp V8 torqe 290 @ 3250 RPM

Convertible 3.8L 150 hp V6 torqe 215 @ 2750 RPM

GT convertible 4.6L 215 hp V8 torqe 290 @ 3250 RPM

Cobra coupe 4.6L 305 hp V8 torqe300 @ 4800 RPM

Cobra convertible 4.6L 305 hp V8 torqe 300 @ 4800 RPM

this is 1997 specs for the mustangs

Coupe 3.8L 190 hp V6 torqe (lb-ft) 220 @ 2750 RPM

GTcoupe 4.6L 260 hp V8 torqe 302 @ 4000 RPM

Convertible 3.8L 190 hp V6 torqe 220 @ 2750 RPM

GT convertible 4.6L 260 hp V8 tore 302 @ 4000 RPM

Cobra coupe 4.6L 320 hp V8 torquqe 317 @ 4750 RPM

Cobra convertible 4.6L 320 hp V8 torqe 317 @ 4750 RPM

i got these specs off of

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...IP&tab=2&sub=0

my questions are as followed,

on both the v6 and v8 the improvement ids only about a 5% increast on the torqe but its like 30% increast on the horse power , now as a standard daily driver, what is more noticable the horse power or the torqe!

my real question is this of lets take the 1997 v6 mustang 150 hp 215 torque if i were to add a supercharger it would increast the hp by 45-50% ( i am estimating 200+ hp ) but what does it do to the torque ratings are they also getting the 45-50% boost or is it completly different, also since the v6 peaks at a lower rpm does it actually begin losing torque at higher rpms say 3500 to 4500 rpm( i am guessing it wouldnt pull as hard at top end) or is it consistant!

thanks in advance people

greedy
    You should check the dyno graphs on the www.v6power.net website to give you an idea of what will happen when you supercharge. Also if you want specs on a mustang autotrader is not the most reliable source. Here are some good specs for the v6. http://www.v6stangs.com/index.php?pa...pecs/index.php

if i did a gt swap it would cost to much right now, it would cost me 2500 + shipping i would also need the wiring, cooling system, ecu rearend and exhaust

would end up being well over 4000 dollars, + labor

sorry no thanks
    It really cost almost 10k to make a v8 swap. Not worth it in my opinion.

Token Camaro Lover ClintEastwood's Avatar

i think eazy is givin you the ECU and exhaust with the engine and trans if i remember correctly

Thread Information