gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Default There's a bunch of power in LT's

Finally got around to installing some ceramic coated LT's on the car and a matching off road X pipe in place of MAC shorties and a Bassani catted X. Holy friggin cow what a difference! I saw a magazine article where they dyno tested a bunch of different LT's on a stout motor and the 3" collector made a whopping extra 30 or 40 peak HP over ball and socket designs. I gotta say, I'm a believer. evidently, my exhaust has been a bottleneck for some time. I can't wait to see where it all falls out after I retune for 13.1:1 a/f ratio.

Bottom line Longtubes kick ass and well worth the install headaches. Might have to hit a dyno in St. Loius next month...

[

Awesome stuff, I wouldnt throw LT's on my stock motor, but if I ever get around to buying those VT stage 2 cams I'll definatly invest in some.
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

Performance: 2.5" Magnapacks / MGW Shifter (Blue Handle) / H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs / 4.10 Motive Performance Gears / MAC Offroad H-Pipe
    Appearance: Mach 1 Chin / Mach 1 Grill / 17x8 Chrome Bullits / SS Inserts / Tint

Louisville Kentucky United States of America

long tubes are the win. I just had them put on my GT and have no t regretted it
    Imports: When Old School means 1991

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Do you have extensive mods joe? At what point do the LT's really become beneficial?
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

Performance: 2.5" Magnapacks / MGW Shifter (Blue Handle) / H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs / 4.10 Motive Performance Gears / MAC Offroad H-Pipe
    Appearance: Mach 1 Chin / Mach 1 Grill / 17x8 Chrome Bullits / SS Inserts / Tint

day 1.
    My mods arn't extensive. I have a CAI (worthless) Polished and ported plenum. Thats about it for my engine mods. Long tubes are going to make more power as soon as you put them on. But they are a supporting mod, so anything else you do to the engine, IE Cams, Blower, ECT will make that much more power because of the long tubes.

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

I swear they are quieter at part throttle and idle rpm even with an off road pipe over shorties and high flow cats. Any car would benefit as they are more efficient at scavenging exhaust than shortie designs. The amount of benefit depends on the size of the bottleneck. On my car, the exhaust was a bottleneck and it definitely showed with the new setup.

Kinda like a Tb on a 347, if you have all the supporting hardware for a 450hp motor and run a 55mm Tb, then it seems miraculous that going to a 75mm Tb could add 45hp, but when it is the single choke point, it is possible.

[

I see. Thanks guy for the info. Im still stuck in the 6er mind frame "dont buy longtubes with a poweradder"
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday
    day 1.
    My mods arn't extensive. I have a CAI (worthless) Polished and ported plenum. Thats about it for my engine mods. Long tubes are going to make more power as soon as you put them on. But they are a supporting mod, so anything else you do to the engine, IE Cams, Blower, ECT will make that much more power because of the long tubes.
    Couldn't agree more about the purpose for the LTs. Once I had mine installed, it felt like a whole different car. Not only did it sound mean, but i could also feel the extra added hp.

2002 Mineral Grey Roush Stage II -#8012

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlo5.0
    I swear they are quieter at part throttle and idle rpm even with an off road pipe over shorties and high flow cats. Any car would benefit as they are more efficient at scavenging exhaust than shortie designs. The amount of benefit depends on the size of the bottleneck. On my car, the exhaust was a bottleneck and it definitely showed with the new setup.

Kinda like a Tb on a 347, if you have all the supporting hardware for a 450hp motor and run a 55mm Tb, then it seems miraculous that going to a 75mm Tb could add 45hp, but when it is the single choke point, it is possible.

I put dumps on my car after the mufflers and I am also surpised at how quiet it is. Of course when I'm on it it's louder, but on the highway it's quieter than my flowmaster exhaust i had before was. It's nice not to have highway drone again

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Should I go back to dumps? Only if I go back to that totally stealth look. V6 bumper covers and all. Running shorties through a catted X with dumps on my car (almost 12:1 cr) was bad enough to make ears ring and everything inside the car was buzzing and vibrating. I can hear my right rear bearing going bad now...

[

lol my car vibrates a little bit at low rpm's in a high gear.but it's not really that bad for me. the dumps I have dump under the rear seats so most of the noise bouncesoff the trunk which has the sound muffleing material so it's not that bad for me. I love the sound of the flowmasters I had, but the highway drone killed me. out side of teh car i'm sure it's louder with the dumps, but inside its alot more pleasent

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Gotstang? Regular

Yeah, I may have to pick up a set of long tubes next year I wonder what sort of difference they would make with the blower
    GotStang??

Black 2001 GT 5-speed
    Does having a pair of 2.3L 4cyl's and something shaped like a snail bolted to my engine make me slow?
    Add a few letters to VTEC and it's pretty cool.... VorTECh

I love my magnapacks, they roar when I step on it but for some reason they are virtually silent in 5th gear so no drone, it's wonderful!
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

Thread Information