gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Life begins at 8 psi... EddieGT's Avatar

Cool I go through cars like women go through shoes...

After realizing i was paying way too much money to insure the Cobra, I decided to take the plunge and go German.

I picked up a 2001 Audi S4 6 speed. For those of you not familiar with it, it's a 2.7L 30 valve (5 per cyl) twin turbo V6, all-wheel-drive.

When it comes to power, it's no Terminator Cobra... But it is still fun as hell. The peak torque comes at 1850 RPM, and stays with ya til about 3600... At 5800 RPM you still got over 250 ft-lbs of torque (peak is 258), so it's a pretty ample power band. It does go through the gears very quick.

Handling is amazing for how soft the suspension is compared to, say, an M3. Being AWD I was expecting lots of understeer, but it actually lets you toss it around almost like a RWD. The Electronic Stabillity Program (ESP) does a great job of countering understeer AND oversteer for you in the event that it detects a little too much for the faint of heart, but there's always the option of turning it off completely, for when you're feeling brave. I prefer that last option.

Here are pics of the actual car:

The decsion was mostly financially driven. My insurance dropped over 500 bucks for 6 months (over 1000 per year) by switching from the Cobra to the S4... That is just insane. My car payments are also 180 a month lower.

I want a house so that I can finally have a garage and park a Shelby GT500 and a big driveway for an F350... For that I need to save money, so I figure I get it started now.

The S4 should keep me happy until then...

<- My favorite smiley.
    Last edited by EddieGT; 04-08-2005 at 01:31 AM.
    1997 SVT Cobra Vert (Black)
    2001 Audi S4 6-speed (Silver)
    1992 Subaru SVX LS-L (Silver/Black)
    History:
    2004 SVT Cobra Coupe (Black) - 2004 40th Anniversary Limited Edition (authentic...) Mustang GT Vert (Black with Arizona Beige stripes) - 2000 Mustang GT Vert (Silver) - 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Red) - 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Red) - 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (Silver) - 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (Red) - 1999 Mazda Protege ES (Silver) - 1990 Undisclosed Ford Vehicle (dark blue) - 1985.5 Toyota MR2 (Red)

"Eaton" F-Bodies since 2004... (But 'til 2005...)
    GSBMC #999 (Got Stang? Black Mustang Crew)

You traded in the Cobra!?
    -Ryan D.

-sig by crimsonblack

Quote Originally Posted by Droptop2001GT
    You traded in the Cobra!?
    yea, I'll eventually get another. The Cobra should not be a daily driver. It belongs in a nice, warm garage, and out on the road when it's nice and sunny out.

I gotta save up for a house. Once I get a house, I'll get more toys.
    History:
    2004 SVT Cobra Coupe (Black) - 2004 40th Anniversary Limited Edition (authentic...) Mustang GT Vert (Black with Arizona Beige stripes) - 2000 Mustang GT Vert (Silver) - 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Red) - 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Red) - 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (Silver) - 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (Red) - 1999 Mazda Protege ES (Silver) - 1990 Undisclosed Ford Vehicle (dark blue) - 1985.5 Toyota MR2 (Red)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieGT
    yea, I'll eventually get another. The Cobra should not be a daily driver. It belongs in a nice, warm garage, and out on the road when it's nice and sunny out.

I gotta save up for a house. Once I get a house, I'll get more toys.
    I know it's smart thinking and careful planning, but it would be really hard to get rid of a stang that nice.
    -Ryan D.

-sig by crimsonblack

Quote Originally Posted by Droptop2001GT
    I know it's smart thinking and careful planning, but it would be really hard to get rid of a stang that nice.
    It was... It was hard not to look back my rearview mirror as I drove off the lot...
    History:

"Banned from the track" blown93feature's Avatar

I commend your actions,looking towards the future is a good thing. I personaly will be letting go of my 93 if opertunity arrises so that I can have that 07 gt 500. I think your on the right road especially the buying of the home and all, good luck my friend.

P.S. That audi is a real nice ride I'm quite sure you will enjoy it.

Gotstang? Regular

Yep, it's good not to be throwing money away with rent! A house is an investment and you can always get new toys in a few years
    GotStang??

Black 2001 GT 5-speed
    Does having a pair of 2.3L 4cyl's and something shaped like a snail bolted to my engine make me slow?
    Add a few letters to VTEC and it's pretty cool.... VorTECh

I Gotstang!! Right Here!

After realizing i was paying way too much money to insure the Cobra, I decided to take the plunge and go German.

I picked up a 2001 Audi S4 6 speed. For those of you not familiar with it, it's a 2.7L 30 valve (5 per cyl) twin turbo V6, all-wheel-drive.

When it comes to power, it's no Terminator Cobra... But it is still fun as hell. The peak torque comes at 1850 RPM, and stays with ya til about 3600... At 5800 RPM you still got over 250 ft-lbs of torque (peak is 258), so it's a pretty ample power band. It does go through the gears very quick.

Handling is amazing for how soft the suspension is compared to, say, an M3. Being AWD I was expecting lots of understeer, but it actually lets you toss it around almost like a RWD. The Electronic Stabillity Program (ESP) does a great job of countering understeer AND oversteer for you in the event that it detects a little too much for the faint of heart, but there's always the option of turning it off completely, for when you're feeling brave. I prefer that last option.

Here are pics of the actual car:

The decsion was mostly financially driven. My insurance dropped over 500 bucks for 6 months (over 1000 per year) by switching from the Cobra to the S4... That is just insane. My car payments are also 180 a month lower.

I want a house so that I can finally have a garage and park a Shelby GT500 and a big driveway for an F350... For that I need to save money, so I figure I get it started now.

The S4 should keep me happy until then...

<- My favorite smiley.

I definately commend you on your tough choice. I had a 96 Firehawk and when I got married, I realized that something had to give, so got rid of it, saved to buy a house. Now, I have a house, wife, son, one on the way, 2 snowmobiles, and the SALEEN. So, yes the smart thing sometimes is the hardest thing, but the results will be GREAT!!! And, it's not like you bought a POS. The Audi is a nice ride. Enjoy and good luck.....

I think he looks better in the Audi anyways.

GSMC#10 (Got Stang? Midnight Crew)
    GSBMC#10 (Got Stang? Black Mustang Crew)

Quote Originally Posted by EdditGT
    dude you're like the only online friend I have that I actually consider real cuz I've met you, hahaha lol
    and cuz you're a sexy bitch....yeah!

Well man you are a trader!!!! ha ha ha i love you man. you better get a new stang some time.
    2000 White Mustang GT Twin Turbo T/3 T/4 380HP 470TQ = Nuff Said

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

queer

j/k
    I'm too stupid to plan ahead

Gotstang? Regular

wow thats a tuff thing to do , but sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward...

Quote Originally Posted by J
    I think he looks better in the Audi anyways.
    admit it, I look good in anything, specially silky lingire
    History:

Quote Originally Posted by 04Saleen
    I definately commend you on your tough choice. I had a 96 Firehawk and when I got married, I realized that something had to give, so got rid of it, saved to buy a house. Now, I have a house, wife, son, one on the way, 2 snowmobiles, and the SALEEN. So, yes the smart thing sometimes is the hardest thing, but the results will be GREAT!!! And, it's not like you bought a POS. The Audi is a nice ride. Enjoy and good luck.....
    See, that to me is being "rich". You got everything a man could ever dream of.

That is why I made this "investment towards the future".

Thanks to everyone who's expressed positive support towards my decision. Deep inside, I'm a Mustang guy all the way.

Like J would say... Mustang Love....
    History:

You did WHAT?

ok buddy, who are you and what have you done with Eddie??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim03svt
    ok buddy, who are you and what have you done with Eddie??

Funny thing is, when I made this thread, I was actually hesitating a bit before clicking Submit.. Thinking, what would Jim do when he found out...

I can just see it now...

"You did WHAT?"

History:

(hanging head) ok, ok..some positive reinforcement.

strut tower braces? cross frame connectors?

Eddie, I'm happy for the side of you who's trying to be responsible.. I tip my hat to that side!

But, my heart's broken for the 'rebel without a cause' side of you too..

AND, just between you and me (don't you EVER tell anyone I said this) AUDI'S ROCK!

Jim

I need a drink....

I agree with Ryan. That's got to be a very hard decision to make, but all-in-all it's the mature decision. One I might not be able to make myself...

(hanging head) ok, ok..some positive reinforcement.

strut tower braces? cross frame connectors?

Eddie, I'm happy for the side of you who's trying to be responsible.. I tip my hat to that side!

But, my heart's broken for the 'rebel without a cause' side of you too..

AND, just between you and me (don't you EVER tell anyone I said this) AUDI'S ROCK!

Jim

I need a drink....
    Hey man, I'm still down for that road trip down to the Cali/OR border if it ever happens! Sad that the 2 black snakes won't be able to meet, but we could still go for a few drinks!
    History:

I'll leave u in the dust

nice s4 there quick u should hook that thing up

1990 GT 25th Anniversary

S4 was a nice choice...they are sweet cars.....but you sold the cobra....I think I would sell my house before I sold a cobra .....Glad to see you have your priorities straight though....my next vehicle will most likely be an F250 so that I can go fishing, hunting and camping without worrying about scratching the paint etc on a car....I can guarantee I will be one of those 50 year old guys with a nice sports car that everyone goes "look at that rich old bastard"

Hey man, I'm still down for that road trip down to the Cali/OR border if it ever happens! Sad that the 2 black snakes won't be able to meet, but we could still go for a few drinks!
    I'd like that! My friend still hasn't decided on the date for his wedding! It'll be in August, but I don't exactly know when yet.. I decided not to drive the beast out there anyway.. By August it'll probably cost me 10K in gas!

A chevrolet cavalier, a used mini van, THOSE are hard decisions! lol You wait till I see you! You're in deep S.. my friend! ha ha

I'd like that! My friend still hasn't decided on the date for his wedding! It'll be in August, but I don't exactly know when yet.. I decided not to drive the beast out there anyway.. By August it'll probably cost me 10K in gas!

A chevrolet cavalier, a used mini van, THOSE are hard decisions! lol You wait till I see you! You're in deep S.. my friend! ha ha
    hahaha... damn, tuff choices indeed... I'd say minivan just cuz I got beat off the line by a minivan a few weeks ago... it was pathetic... Goddamn Oddysseys, hahaha...

Keep me posted on the plans. As a coinsidence, I have a wedding to go to tomorrow. I'm one of the groomsmen! Man, I've only wore tuxes twice in my life... My sister's wedding and my prom!
    History:

Sorry about the Cobra, but i guess its for the best....i sure as hell couldnt do it! i bet that Audi is quick though, but im sure that it is prolly nothin like the Cobra! Hope your dreams come true!

bret
    -Black '03 GT

Thread Information