gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Hybrid View

Default Removing Tail Lights Need Help

alright so I have all the bolts (4) off the back of the tail lights and am ready to pull them out but it seems they are still stuck to the body of the car on the top bolt closest to the trunk opening....Its like there is this little black ring that is holding it on but everywhere else it is ready to come off....HOW DO I GET THEM THE REST OF THE WAY OFF? Does that little black ring just pop off or what cause Ive been trying to use a screw driver and some elbow grease and the bugger wont move

Its a 2002 please help

if you are talking about what I think you are, I used a razor to get under it so I could raise it and I think i screwed it off or just broke it.Is it really thin? I cut myself several times the first time I did it.Leave them off after you get it

yea thats it....Ill go to the pocket knife....I nailed myself with the screwdriver a couple of times, stupid Ford its not like the lights will fall off when you hit a bump, not all 4 nuts will fail at once..Thanks a ton Callaway

Im tinting my tail lights, ill post before and after pics when I get done later tonight, should take about 5 hrs total from start of painting to end of clearcoat

tinted = cool

thank god you werent putting some clear lights on it
    GSM#0004

cool, i put sequentials on mine

yea I was thinking of doing sequentials after I tint them....I love the look, some guys at the Pony cruise last year had em on their 98 Cobras that were Replica Saleens....Except instead of turn sequentials they wired them to the brake lights...so whenever they hit the brakes the lights would light up from inside out, was PIMP....First coat of paint is on now and I WOULD NEVER GO EURO lol...I got tired of my blackout covers, its too hard to see the brake lights during the day and I know im going to get rear ended again, not to mention the spray looks a lot cleaner

I'll post pics in this thread when Im done tonight, 4-5 coats of black then 2-3 coats of clear then 8 hrs of dry time before reinstall, so with 30 min between the coats of black and 45 between the coats of clear i'll be done in about 5 hrs then I'll reinstall them tomorrow morning, hopefully they come out looking sweet

PS: Thanks a ton for the help Callaway, I used a pocket knife then just grabbed it with pliers and it unscrewed off

Quote Originally Posted by 02BlueStang
    yea I was thinking of doing sequentials after I tint them....I love the look, some guys at the Pony cruise last year had em on their 98 Cobras that were Replica Saleens....Except instead of turn sequentials they wired them to the brake lights...so whenever they hit the brakes the lights would light up from inside out, was PIMP....
    my brakes do that too, i got a wiring kit from webelectric and it was a simple install.really awesome people to deal with, I would definitely recommend them.
    You are welcome on the help, anytime

some one tell j how to tint his it always seems to come out wrong

"Lick it up bitch"

its really simple....Ive done a few on friends cars

heres what you need:
    1600 grit wet/dry sand paper
    rubbing alcohol
    NITE SHADES spray tint (or similar, you can get it from Summit Racing or Ebay like I did, Hobby shops also carry the stuff)
    Spray Clear Coat (I got a big can of Dupont, dont get the little can it will shoot blochy for some reason, its like 5 bucks at Schucks or autozone)

1) Remove the tail lights from the car and tape off with masking tape wherever you dont want to tint
    2) Clean lenses with the rubbing alcohol making sure to get all the dirt off
    3) Take your sand paper and dunk it in water, lightly sand the lenses with the 1600 grit or higher so the paint will stick to them
    4) Wipe off lens and clean again with alcohol to get rid of any dust that might remain/water
    5) Shake the hell out of the NITE SHADES can and spray a VERY LIGHT coat on the lens....after the first coat you shouldnt even be able to tell you did anything, basically you just want to MIST the lens or else it will run, and it runs VERY easily and if it does, your screwed if you are on your 4 or 5th coat etc.....I am going to use 4-5 coats maybe more depending on how dark I want it, remember LIGHT COATS are better then 1 heavy coat.....and a tip is to start not over the lens but off to the side then continuously spray about 14-16 inches from the lens with fast even strokes to mist the lense....if you start over the lens the can has a tendency to spit at first and will leave big puddles which are visible when the lens is lit up by the brakes as the tint is transparent....
    6) Let the NITE SHADES dry 30 min between coats...so coat 1 30 min coat 2 30 min and so on....
    7) After you have your desired darkness (and it will go on clear and dry darker) switch over to the clear coat. You will need 2-4 coats of clear and dont worry if the lenses look bland and non shiny after the NITE SHADES, its supposed to, the clear is what makes it shiny again
    8) Again Shake the hell out of the can of Clear Coat and with the same small coats that you did with the NITE SHADES apply the clear....Let stand for 45 min before applying the next coat.
    9) After 2-4 coats of clear let the lens dry.....Usually it will take about 8 hrs or so for everything to set up and be able to handle....reinstall your lights and check to make sure you brakes and crap still work and your done.....

Or for J if he is incapable of following this, you can buy the pre-tinted lights online for $255 bucks

Here is what they will look like when you are done:

and the website:
    http://www.x2cmotorsports.com/cart/s...true&key=00884
    Last edited by 02BlueStang; 03-17-2005 at 01:19 PM.

THe problem wasnt me figuring out.. or following guidlines... everyone must remember, I learned this last night.. that the temperature / humidity is a BIG part.

Make sure the can is 70 degrees and the outside temp is near this.

If it isnt you can put the can in some warm water to heat it up

I was painting in a cold basement with a cold can.. and every clear coat came out "grainy" I will be trying to paint upstairs in a heated room tonight and I will be sure to post pics for everyone.

I am using paint numbers (for testors model master)..

2949 - Transparent Black Tint
    28139 - Ultra Gloss clear coat

I will do a complete write up so you will not ruin your tail lights.

Thanks for Jess for all her patience.

GSMC#10 (Got Stang? Midnight Crew)
    GSBMC#10 (Got Stang? Black Mustang Crew)

Quote Originally Posted by EdditGT
    dude you're like the only online friend I have that I actually consider real cuz I've met you, hahaha lol
    and cuz you're a sexy bitch....yeah!

thanks for that J....

Yea I forgot to mention that, it works a lot better if you are in a warm area, Im out in my heated garage so I just cranked the heat up....I'm still going to warm the can up though just to make sure, I just put on my second coat so I'll post pics of the lenses on the ground when I am done

yeah my black layer was even a little grainy.. it looks good.. but once you put the gloss on it looks like shit.

dude you're like the only online friend I have that I actually consider real cuz I've met you, hahaha lol

yea the clear coat is a pain in the butt to get right...I noticed the same thing after we did my friends celica last winter....most people do stuff in the summer so I never noticed anything with it until we did his celica and the can spit (hence why I said dont use a small can of clear coat, go for the big one) and the coldness of the garage was our problem as well, I think we did it 3 times before we got it right

and another thing to rememeber is not to take a shit if you mess up... just wait till it drys and wet sand it. If you can wet sand it out.. get some thinner (make sure its ok to use on plastic) and just start over. I removed all coats from my tail light and it still looks like new.

Ill be sure to write up all materials to use...

I just read what I wrote and need to add something....

ADD SOAP to the water you use to wet sand with...the soap will reduce friction and cause less scratcing of the tail lights....

After you are done spraying the NITE SHADES or similar paint let it dry completely then go over it LIGHTLY with some soapy water to remove any blemishes...

Now spray your clear coat and LET IT DRY FULLY, then go over it LIGHTLY with some more soapy water and lightly wet sand the lens again.....

Apply another coat of clear coat and LIGHTLY wet sand with the soapy water again and apply 1 more coat if desired followed by a final wet sand with the soapy water...The soap reduces the friction of the paper on the lens and will give you a clean finish that is smooth and a glassy appearance

Quote Originally Posted by 02BlueStang
    I just read what I wrote and need to add something....

ADD SOAP to the water you use to wet sand with...the soap will reduce friction and cause less scratcing of the tail lights....

After you are done spraying the NITE SHADES or similar paint let it dry completely then go over it LIGHTLY with some soapy water to remove any blemishes...

Now spray your clear coat and LET IT DRY FULLY, then go over it LIGHTLY with some more soapy water and lightly wet sand the lens again.....

Apply another coat of clear coat and LIGHTLY wet sand with the soapy water again and apply 1 more coat if desired followed by a final wet sand with the soapy water...The soap reduces the friction of the paper on the lens and will give you a clean finish that is smooth and a glassy appearance
    Great addition.

Thread Information