gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First mods for the GT? Need opinions.

Post what ya have and if you like it or not!

Exhaust setup?

K&N or full CAI?

Tri-ax or Pro 5.0?

3.73's or 4.10's? (I know the general rule is 3.73s for 5spds and 4.10s for autos, but I've heard that 3.73s arnt a big enough difference.)

Accufab or Other TB/Plenum combo?

What brand company chip do you have and how good/streetable was your tune?

Personally I was thinking of flow 40's with a Mac offroad H, a tri-ax, accufab tb/plenum combo and a SCT chip, and just sticking with the K&N, but obviously I'm new to the GT scene, what do you guys think?
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

Performance: 2.5" Magnapacks / MGW Shifter (Blue Handle) / H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs / 4.10 Motive Performance Gears / MAC Offroad H-Pipe
    Appearance: Mach 1 Chin / Mach 1 Grill / 17x8 Chrome Bullits / SS Inserts / Tint

Louisville Kentucky United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by Aerosi665
    Post what ya have and if you like it or not!

Exhaust setup?

K&N or full CAI?

Tri-ax or Pro 5.0?

3.73's or 4.10's? (I know the general rule is 3.73s for 5spds and 4.10s for autos, but I've heard that 3.73s arnt a big enough difference.)

Accufab or Other TB/Plenum combo?

What brand company chip do you have and how good/streetable was your tune?

Personally I was thinking of flow 40's with a Mac offroad H, a tri-ax, accufab tb/plenum combo and a SCT chip, and just sticking with the K&N, but obviously I'm new to the GT scene, what do you guys think?
    Exhaust: Long tubes are the way to go here, when you see the stock manifolds you'll laugh. If you want to keep the stock headders for a while a nice bassani mid pipe will sound very good with whatever muffler you chose. Just a warning the flowmasters sound good but the highway drone is outa controll. I have a pro dump setup is it's quieter in my car now than it was with the flow masters.

A nice upper plenum is a good upgrade, your stock throttle body is more than enough, but i'd get one that matches your plenum

Gears: 4.10's for manuals and 3.73's for autos. Since you have a 5spd I'd reccomend the 4.10's I just had them installed in my GT and they are nothing to be afraid of. on the interstate at 75 you'll be under 3 grand. 85ish will put you right at 3 grand. Nothing to worry about,

Pro 5.0 shifter is the win

For teh cAI any brand is really gonna be alright, as long as it dosen't have the 90 degree bend into the fender well. This will mess with your mass air sensor and negate any (it's not that much of a gain) of the CAI. If you have to remove the mass air sensor make sure not to tuch the electronics, the oil on your fingers will mess it up.

I have a hypertech tune on mine right now, I got it cheap just to fix my spedo when Ihad my gears put in. But I plan on getting an SCT X-Caliper with a mail order tune. they can reset your spedo so you dont have to buy one of those spedo-correct things (the name escapes me right now) And can deactivate the rear o2 sensors so you won't have to buy mil eliminators. You get a mail order tune with it. just list the mods on your car and they have a whole libary of tunes for diffrent setups, 99% of the time one similar if not the same as yours will be in thier libary.

just my .02 cents
    Imports: When Old School means 1991

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Awesome. Thanks for all the info. I guess my thing is just I dont have a whole lot of money to drop here, arn't longtubes typically a pro job?
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

Performance: 2.5" Magnapacks / MGW Shifter (Blue Handle) / H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs / 4.10 Motive Performance Gears / MAC Offroad H-Pipe
    Appearance: Mach 1 Chin / Mach 1 Grill / 17x8 Chrome Bullits / SS Inserts / Tint

Yes, it's a big thing. you have to drop the K=member to install them. If you're not looking to do that yet i'd just get a nice mid-pipe and get some new mufflers welded in. that will give you a good sound, and better performance. the factory exhaust piping is more than enough, so you can save a few bucks by just buying the mufflers you want.

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Sounds great, at what point is the 2.25" piping too small?
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

I don't think you'll have to worry about that for a while, unless you plan to go big blower or big nitrous. Since this is your dailey driver I don't see you trying to make outregious power out of it. I don't know the exact point that your 2.25 exhaust is to small, but i doubt you'll ever absoultley need a larger diameter exhaust pipe

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Gotstang? Newbie!

go with 4.10 gears just did it on my car and its great car drives much better

Gotstang? Newbie!

i love my densechager intake with nice big k&n filter along with the SLP loudmouth sound is meaner and deeper.my Tri-ax help for quick shift and never miss the 3rd gear anymore.next will be the magnaflow X-pipe catted plus the Eibach sportline for the drop.

deff. go gears and shifter then exhaust. gears will give u a more noticeable (sp?) kick in the pants than exhaust obviously, if that's what your looking for

So it's been a while what did you decided to go with?

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

So far I've done the MGW Short throw shifter with the blue handle (shortest shifts ever and a rock solid feel) and the Magnapack catback (got it used with about 300 miles on it, installed for $300). Next if I can get up the cash some VT Stage 2 cams with new springs and a dyno tune or if I cant afford that, at least some 4.10's and an O/R H.
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

Quote Originally Posted by Aerosi665
    So far I've done the MGW Short throw shifter with the blue handle (shortest shifts ever and a rock solid feel) and the Magnapack catback (got it used with about 300 miles on it, installed for $300). Next if I can get up the cash some VT Stage 2 cams with new springs and a dyno tune or if I cant afford that, at least some 4.10's and an O/R H.
    Yeah you're gonna want to get the gears before the cam's VT reccomends at least 3.73's when installing the stage 2 cams

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

My third post here.... I'm a nooB here but not to mustangs. Here's a free mod you'll like... Or almost free...

Remove your Idle Air Control (IAC) and trace out your gasket on a sheet of aluminum to include all holes. Of the to center 5/8" holes... make one 9/32" and install the plate with this smaller 9/32" furthest away from the IAC solenoid. It'll make your RPMs drop down faster like a carb car. Believe me it works.
    8800 Views on this thread... check it out if you like...
    http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=18330

Yeah. thats really not gonna help anything other than starve the car of air at idle. waste of time IMO

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Oh but the thread has almost 9000 views and hundreds of guys have done this to include me and the car just drives better. Try it... it's just two bolts and almost FREE. Don't like it... 2 minutes is all it takes to remove it.

Last edited by Bullitt3055; 05-24-2005 at 01:41 PM.

I'm good. I dont care if it has a million views, In my openion it's a waste of time. My car idles just fine and I have no problem between gears with RPM's

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

OK...

Quote Originally Posted by greenbullitt
    i love my densechager intake with nice big k&n filter along with the SLP loudmouth sound is meaner and deeper.my Tri-ax help for quick shift and never miss the 3rd gear anymore.next will be the magnaflow X-pipe catted plus the Eibach sportline for the drop.
    I had a densecharger on my v6 prior to the blower and really liked it. Now I want one for the GT, does anyone know what the name changed to? I can't find them now and forgot the name.

NM found it. demolet.com or tunableinduction.com

Gotstang? Newbie!

Default long tube headers

just to let you know you do not have to drop the k-member to do headers unbolt both motor mounts and jack up the motor so who ever told you that does not know what they are talking about,and for what they cost it's not worth the money go with shorty's.
    Last edited by john panizo; 05-29-2005 at 05:16 PM.

Put Up Or Shut Up!

I say do the exhaust first. Come listen to mine. I think it is on page 6. Just 40 series flowmasters and mac prochamber mid O/R H. sounds great! All done at about $500. Well worht the investment.

Put Up Or Shut Up!

I am wanting to get 4:10's done but was told I would need to get a chip (diablo etc) or thestang would not run right. Is that true? I have been holding off as I can't afford to do the gears and the chip at the same time.

it will run fine. however your speedo will be way off. I picked up a hypertech for a hundred bucks to caliprate mine. they are on ebay on the cheap because everyone wants the SCT (including me) or the diablo. or a speed cal will work too. but it won't make the car run bad, just make the miles roll over faster and the speedo be way off.

-Adrian
    -2000 Black GT

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday

Gears: 4.10's for manuals and 3.73's for autos. Since you have a 5spd I'd reccomend the 4.10's I just had them installed in my GT and they are nothing to be afraid of. on the interstate at 75 you'll be under 3 grand. 85ish will put you right at 3 grand. Nothing to worry about,

just my .02 cents

Joe you have the gears backward! Its 3.73's for manuals and 4.10's for automatics.

For Sale: My 2001 Mustang GT 10,500.

Updated 12/17/06 http://01GTType.gotstang.com

Put Up Or Shut Up!

will the hypertech fix my milage rolling over faster too?

Thread Information