gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Default Serious Car Question

Hey guys, I've just got a job today that will net me about 1,500 a paycheck (every two weeks). As most of you know currently I drive an 04 v6 auto, but Ive been dying for the v8 roar and a manual trans, should I look into the 99/01 cobra option? The v6 is totally paid off, and with only 10.8k miles on it, I should have some resale value left. The question for me is, should an 18 year old really trade in his pefectly good v6 for the 99/01 cobra? I'm a total motorhead and this is a dream for me, I just dont know if I should do it. Give me some of your opinions / ideas!!!!!!
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

Performance: 2.5" Magnapacks / MGW Shifter (Blue Handle) / H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs / 4.10 Motive Performance Gears / MAC Offroad H-Pipe
    Appearance: Mach 1 Chin / Mach 1 Grill / 17x8 Chrome Bullits / SS Inserts / Tint

Token Camaro Lover ClintEastwood's Avatar

do it....im lookin for a low miles 99+ GT for an almost even trade for my 98 V6. I found a yellow 5 speed GT with 46000 miles for about 9 grand....gonna have to think about if i wanna go through with buyin it. This is a good time of year to do deals on sports cars where i live so it might be time for an upgrade.

Heck yea i would go for a 99 cobra. I got my cobra when i was 18. You will love it. you have to know how to drive them. People say they are slow but they do not know how to drive a 4 valve car that loves the RPM's You are lookin in the range of 14gs up for a 99 or 01 cobra. They have some good deals on e-bay. Make sure that the 99 has had the fix. Like 98% of them have had it so should be no worries there. But if i were you i would check about insurance. That was a major deal for me but with no wrecks and multi car policy it was not that bad for me. Get a beater also.
    2000 White Mustang GT Twin Turbo T/3 T/4 380HP 470TQ = Nuff Said

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Make sure you consider the insurance jump when going to a cobra

LOL

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Aerosi665
    Hey guys, I've just got a job today that will net me about 1,500 a paycheck (every two weeks). As most of you know currently I drive an 04 v6 auto, but Ive been dying for the v8 roar and a manual trans, should I look into the 99/01 cobra option? The v6 is totally paid off, and with only 10.8k miles on it, I should have some resale value left. The question for me is, should an 18 year old really trade in his pefectly good v6 for the 99/01 cobra? I'm a total motorhead and this is a dream for me, I just dont know if I should do it. Give me some of your opinions / ideas!!!!!!
    Where are you working now? Sounds to me like a tough question. Not having a car payment sure is nice. Not having the V8 rumble when you really want it isn't so nice. I'd almost be inclined to build decent V6 power instead. It would cost less in the long run, handle the curves better, and surprise the crap out of every Gt you pulled in front of. You can have Cobra brakes for $400 (Baer for $650), a new suspension that will drive circles around the Cobra for $1500. Ask Mysteed how much it costs to make some real power with a V6, guess 5k total investment in the engine. Better gas mileage, lower insurance, it's all there but the V8 lope...

If you're really a gear head, none of that would scare you...If you haven't really learned to turn a wrench, go buy the Cobra, or just a decent GT and supercharge it.

[

Well I love my car, its just the Cobra 4v and everything associated with it. At the carwash today I saw a flawless 99 in red with an SLP exhaust and almost died. I guess the insurence will be a bitch, but I have 0 speeding tickets and the good grade / under my parents discounts. Also I probably wouldnt be able to do much to the cobra, i'd be blowing it all on insurence but, who the hell cares?! Its a cobra... :dream:
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

Performance: 2.5" Magnapacks / MGW Shifter (Blue Handle) / H&R Super Sport Lowering Springs / 4.10 Motive Performance Gears / MAC Offroad H-Pipe
    Appearance: Mach 1 Chin / Mach 1 Grill / 17x8 Chrome Bullits / SS Inserts / Tint

I'll leave u in the dust

Keep the V6 and get the corba!

1990 GT 25th Anniversary

lol I wish, I dont have the space nor the $$ to afford both.
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

I still think there's more satisfaction in building your own car. Comparable cost, better results. Why buy a stock Cobra, get strapped down with insurance, gas, and car payments? Will you have enough money left over to modify it? It's not a slow car in stock form, but it's not going to blow the doors off a Gt with some bolt on's. Especially considering an '05 makes just about the same power but probably has a fatter torque curve to boot.

You've got cheap insurance, no payment, and some steady cash about to roll in (still want to know what an 18yr old student can do to earn $27 an hour?) I'd supercharge the six and trick out the suspension and brakes. What a blast that would be to drive...

[

I'll leave u in the dust

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlo5.0
    I still think there's more satisfaction in building your own car. Comparable cost, better results. Why buy a stock Cobra, get strapped down with insurance, gas, and car payments? Will you have enough money left over to modify it? It's not a slow car in stock form, but it's not going to blow the doors off a Gt with some bolt on's. Especially considering an '05 makes just about the same power but probably has a fatter torque curve to boot.

You've got cheap insurance, no payment, and some steady cash about to roll in (still want to know what an 18yr old student can do to earn $27 an hour?) I'd supercharge the six and trick out the suspension and brakes. What a blast that would be to drive...
    Thats a pretty good idea!

1990 GT 25th Anniversary

I totally agree with you guys, I decieded today to stay with the six. Thanks a ton for all your input. NoSlo5.0, you totally sold me. I dont know, sometimes right now I get a TON of shit for having a 6, for some reason at my school there is an abnormally large % of rich ass pricks that are into cars, and ALL of them have sick rides, like z28's, ws6's, cobras, procharged GT's, cammed notches, an 05 GT and even a cammed 02 corvette. Then again, I cant wait to buy one of justin00v6's twin turbo setups and make 399rwhp on the stock engine. :evil:, those #'s are even through an auto...

Cant wait to see the looks on their faces when the "pustang auto v6" blows their doors off...
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

Oh and as for the job, I recently got hired at MCI but I do NOT work on the phones, I route calls on the computers and such. I work a crap load of hours (everyday from 3-8) but I make $8 an hour plus a cut of what everyone else in my "bay" (25 people) that I am overseeing, sells. Luckily, I got put in the second best bay and I actually got to talk to the guy who I am replacing, and he said he makes roughly 1,500 a week, I called BS and he pulled up his past paycheckes on the computer. His highest ever was 3,100 for 2 weeks, and lowest was 1,200. Lets just say I'm looking foward to starting thurday.
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

sounds good. If you will be making that kinda of scratch i would go for the cobra. Screw the v6 deal. but i would find a deal on one and work as much as you coudl to pay it off then worry about mod money. Also once you pay it off you do not have to carry as much insurance on it. My payments now are like 185 a month for my cobra. (I got a sweet deal) and my insruance is around a 100 (Geico) so you are lookin probley 400 a month for a car. if you say you make 1500 a week why do you worry about 400 a month? The way i see it is that you can do nice things to a six you can save on gas and insurance but lets face it you can only go so far with each engine. And if you take a v6 to 400 hp from 200 that is nice but when you take a 320 hp car and break the 500 mark that is a whole diffrent ball game. Also you shoudl think about resale and valve of the car. When it comes down to it the cobras will hold value a little bit better. You are getting a hand built engine and a nice suspension and breaks. You can do what you want to and i have seen some very nice 6ers i have seen ones that woudl run circles around my cobra but we all got to have somethign to work for in life that we enjoy.

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

You're not going to be in school much longer. If you're not rich, you'll never be able to hang with the rich. You may build a nice car, but you'll go home to your shanty because you spent every dime you ever made on your car. What sense does that make in the real world? You've got a gift in the form of a paid for NEW car. With minor engine mods, it will perform as well or better than a box stock GT. IMO, and this is not what I would have done at your age, but what I wished I would have done...You've got some bank, maybe not too steady, but decent money anyway. Drop some of it in your car, enough to satisfy your need for speed and newness every few months, open an IRA, or participate in the company's 401k program if it is available. I'm having to sock away almost a grand a month now because i wasn't smart enough (that's not true, disciplined is more like it) to put away a measley $150/mo when I was 20.

Here's a possibility to consider, you get the Cobra, you enjoy it for a few months, maybe a year, then your extremely volatile new position disappears after the company merges with some other big name company. That paid for V6 would be looking pretty sweet right about then.

Kenny Brown built a bad ass V6 a year, maybe two ago. He's got the parts to make your car handle like it was on rails. It would be even lighter too. I've driven both V8's and V6's hard, there is a huge difference due to the weight difference. I know what I'd do, but then, playing NFS2U makes me want to buy a Focus and build the crap out of it

[

Get in,sit down,buckle up BossHoss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aerosi665
    I totally agree with you guys, I decieded today to stay with the six. Thanks a ton for all your input. NoSlo5.0, you totally sold me. I dont know, sometimes right now I get a TON of shit for having a 6, for some reason at my school there is an abnormally large % of rich ass pricks that are into cars, and ALL of them have sick rides, like z28's, ws6's, cobras, procharged GT's, cammed notches, an 05 GT and even a cammed 02 corvette. Then again, I cant wait to buy one of justin00v6's twin turbo setups and make 399rwhp on the stock engine. :evil:, those #'s are even through an auto...

Cant wait to see the looks on their faces when the "pustang auto v6" blows their doors off...
    I have a 90 fox with a 4 cyl,I know about getting shit from people for
    having a 2.3...but sometime this summer
    I'm swapping in a 2.3 turbo out of an 88
    turbocoupe....I'm doing suspension mods now..then..I'll have some fun.
    The car will handle as good if not better than a 5.0,have alittle hp and
    get 25mpg to boot.......

"Cant wait to see the looks on their faces .."
    That's what makes it all worth it.....good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BossHoss
    I have a 90 fox with a 4 cyl,I know about getting shit from people for
    having a 2.3...but sometime this summer
    I'm swapping in a 2.3 turbo out of an 88
    turbocoupe....I'm doing suspension mods now..then..I'll have some fun.
    The car will handle as good if not better than a 5.0,have alittle hp and
    get 25mpg to boot.......

"Cant wait to see the looks on their faces .."
    That's what makes it all worth it.....good luck
    It will drive circles around 5.0's. It won't have the same balls (until you hop it up) but it will be fun to drive just the same.

[

V6 Guru

Did I hear my name mentioned? IMO, the V6 platform is a great platform to build on, not as good as a 4.6, but there's potential there that few people choose to tap into. Check the V6 thread b/c I recently had the same basic question asked (but Acid wanted a N/A setup).

http://www.members.aol.com/andylittleton/tma.htm
    Here's a Turbo setup run by Tux-Mask Andy from 3.8mustang. He specializes on TT setups for our V6's. If you go TT with the 6, you're looking at 350-375 easily on low boost (about 4.6psi). I wouldn't recomend going higher than than untill you get some forged internals and the other heavy internal work done.

Have you done any appearence (interior or exterior) stuff yet?
    1994 v6- Project car
    1997 v6- M112'd, SSM 2+ powerpack- In process of being a track car
    1998 GT- Daily Driver
    2001 GT- Vortech supercharged plus a few bolton's
    Sponsors for the 97 V6:
    VMP Tuning
    Super Six Motorsports
    Autobadges.com

Gotstang? Moderator

It's worth the jump to the V8 Cobra or GT. While many of the V6 units here are awesome looking the resale value for them just isn't there. I know you have looked at the prices. It isn't just the V6 that brings down the value it's the engine, tranny rear end and breaks. They just aren't up to the V8 level. The cobra will always maintain a higher value than any GT or 3.8L hands down. You have a great job and if this is your dream, do it. Do it while your young and can do it.

Token Camaro Lover ClintEastwood's Avatar

he already got the GT quite a while ago, lol.
    White 1998 V6 Mustang
    Mods: Gotstang? stickers

I dont want to be reduced to driving some sort of econobox trash while my blown Mustang waits at home in the driveway - Jim Campisano, editor of MM&FF Magazine
    THANKS TO HMONGS SISTER FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!!!

Haha who dug this old thread up? :-p, thanks for the input though
    Black 2002 GT 5-spd

i was reading the thread and looking at your sig like wtf is up with this dude lol

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by My Cobra
    i was reading the thread and looking at your sig like wtf is up with this dude lol
    same here
    -Black '03 GT

Thread Information