gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    Gotstang? Newbie!

Default 1990 mustang no spark

Well guys and gals ice started working on my car again. It's a 90 7up lx with a fuel injected 351w. I bought the car when I was 16 years years old so have had it a long time. I put the 351w in about 8 years ago and haven't driven the car since September of 2006 and its killing me. I can turn the car over finally after working on the wiring harness and a new ignition switch. I replaced the wiring harness and have it ran inside the fenders and firewall. It stopped running and then I parked it in my garage and it hasn't run since. I am overly excited that it turns over on its own since it wasn't and want to get it back in the street.

I don't have spark. I have checked all the fusible links and they are good. The EEC relay clicks on when the key is turned over. I ran a jumper from the starter solenoid to the EEC relay bypassing the b/o stripe wire that provides power to the relay and can get spark but two wires that run from a connecter by the computer that go over to the driver side get hot and will melt. They are yellow with an orange stripe that go to a connector. One wire goes to the speed control amplifier. The fuel pump also doesn't prime. It's a new pump and new hanger assembly.

Any thoughts as to why no spark? Think it could be grounded out?

focus on the fuel pump first...did you check the thing in the back trunk/hatch to reset the fuel pump? it's meant to trigger if you're in an accident and prevents it from running, try resetting it and get your pump to work FIRST it should be priming and you should hear it for 5-6 seconds or so.

Gotstang? Newbie!

Why focus on the pump first? The inertia switch seems to be ok. The red button was still set in place. I'm thinking that the computer would need to be addressed first since the pump and distributor are controlled by the computer. Just my thought but I'm open to suggestions.

the inertia switch was worth checking first, but if you're certain that's all set then on with the next thing....when you moved your harness...did your issues start then? or was it before? I would be checking over your grounds and wiring job again... It's odd you have any wires that want to 'melt'.... I ran into an issue before where I missed one ground wire that cost me 2 days tracing the issue

Gotstang? Newbie!

I got the spark issue solved. Just a loose wire.

The pump I'm going to rewire. The relay had power coming in but it's not engaging the relay, I've used 3 different relays. The circuit has almost 500 ohms of resistance and I've gone through the whole thing and can't find the problem. The pump connector on the hanger assembly is good. I traced the wires all the way to the firewall and someone has spliced and diced the harness so I'm goin to rewire it and hope for the best lol

It did this before the new harness was installed and the reason why I installed a new harness almost 7 years ago.

sounds like you're making progress! keep us updated

Gotstang? Newbie!

Problem solved. The old girl will be going again soon!

AWESOME!!! What was the issue?

GSMC#10 (Got Stang? Midnight Crew)
    GSBMC#10 (Got Stang? Black Mustang Crew)

Quote Originally Posted by EdditGT
    dude you're like the only online friend I have that I actually consider real cuz I've met you, hahaha lol
    and cuz you're a sexy bitch....yeah!

Gotstang? Newbie!

It was a harness issue. Then the fuel pump went out and had to be replaced. I'm trying to stick with fuel injection but it's driving me crazy trying to get everything working right that I'm tempted to just stick a carb on it.

S.O.B !!! I NEED GAS !!! 91GT347's Avatar

Dont do that. You'll get it, and you will be happy you stayed EFI. If you do go that way, let me know. My coupe is carbed, and I'm swapping back to EFI. lol
    Last edited by 91GT347; 02-12-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Thread Information