gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Hybrid View

Gotstang? Newbie!

Default 91 mustang AOD issues

I have a 91 fox with a brand new 427 stroker in it, rebuilt trans, and a 2300 stall converter, get my engine fired up and my trans wont shift out of first when i drive, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it? any help would be great, also, if anyone has tips on smoothing out the idle, my idle surges right now, and ive run out of idea on fixing it, any help woudl be great.

S.O.B !!! I NEED GAS !!! 91GT347's Avatar

Is the TV cable hooked up, and adjusted ? Is it aftermarket ? Some aftermarket cables will allow the valve in the tranny to push in farther than it should, and it gets stuck in the high pressure position. Surging could be a couple things. TPS voltage is off, IAC, Vacuum leak. Make sure your upper is good and snug to the lower too. I did that one time. lol
    Last edited by 91GT347; 12-15-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Gotstang? Regular

I had the same problem with mine when we put the rebuilt AOD back in mine. The problem was that the ball that holds the governor in place (in the tailshaft) sheared allowing the governor to spin on the shaft. This will only give you first and reverse. To fix it, you need to pull the tailshaft and governor. Make sure there is a check ball in it that fits into a slot in the governor. If its gone, get another one. Otherwise you won't get the line pressure. The other issue I ran into was replacement of the governor. If you choose to do this, make sure you have one from a car, or get an upgrade kit for the one you have. I used a truck piece to begin with. The valving is different and you won't get the shift you want, or expect.

Gotstang? Regular

The TV cable didn't make the car not shift. I upgraded mine to lokar and initially ran it out of adjusyment on the first run before and after the governor change. That wasn't related to the shift issue, although I can't say on the surging.

Thread Information