gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    Gotstang? Newbie!

Default Need a little help with mufflers.

I just got my 71 Mach 1 home. Now I need to add some mufflers as it has headers and pipe back to about mid car and cherry bombs on it now. They empty out right behind my front seats. I have to say they sound great but not legal for me to run. So I will be adding new pipe and mufflers. I would love to keep the sound if possible. So now I need the help from all the Mustang people to tell me what mufflers sound the best and work the best.

Here is what it sounds like now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zx4yMS47Qg

it's a preference thing....try listening to videos on you tube.

I honestly like flowmasters on any mustang, but the newest craze seems to be the SLPs. I think the slps are too slappy sounding when you really get on it- but I dont' think I've heard them on an older stang; they're popular on the modular engine stangs like 99+... so hard to judge if they would be what you're after and maybe sound good on your car.

Just pay close attention to the muffers if they're single chamber or 2 or 3. If you want to stick to what you kinda have now; then go with a single chamber style muffer.

As for being legal...well- I think anything less than 2 chamber likely will get the cops attention- however; 96 and older stangs tend to get forgiveness from cops these days- at least that's what I think anyways.

Here's my flowmaster force II -3 chamber mufflers- they're only loud when you get on them- and don't drone on the highway when cruising even at 2800 rpm.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdIVp...layer_embedded
    - I don't recommend my exhaust for those that want it loud all the time; this is a perfect system for those who want it loud when you get on it- but can coast fairly quiet by a cop. It's also not too great at idle unless you have a cam- which i do; so it's perfect for my stang.

--oh i should mention that with my cam- I can't do any drive-thoughs anymore unless i shut off my car while i order...lol

Gotstang? Newbie!

Yeah I have been thinking about the Flowmaster 40. They sound good on the cars I have seen them on. Also been looking at Borla and DynoMax

you tube is your friend!

S.O.B !!! I NEED GAS !!! 91GT347's Avatar

Why cant you keep what you have and just run new pipe ? Whats legal on a 71, and on something even 5 years newer can be vastly different. Why exactly are they illegal ? If its just because they dont go to the rear axle, then just run pipe,keep your mufflers,and save money. I know here something that old about anything is legal. Because they didnt come with cats or anything. I would check your local laws before buying something you didnt want in the first place. If your talking about the cherry bomb glass packs. You will gain some performance by going to a flowmaster, Borla, or something of that nature. I know you wouldnt think so. With the straight through design. They cause alot of turbulance inside. Which hinders flow.

some back pressure is GOOD for the engine
    unless it's pushing 500+ hp...then it starts to change

for example; putting long tube headers and staight pipe exhaust on a v-6 will HURT it's performance. I think this may also be true for a stock 5.0

I vote get some Mac flowpaths welded in. MAC FLOWPATHS FTW!!!!!

I like the Macs myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoleb3x3 View Post
    some back pressure is GOOD for the engine
    unless it's pushing 500+ hp...then it starts to change

for example; putting long tube headers and staight pipe exhaust on a v-6 will HURT it's performance. I think this may also be true for a stock 5.0
    Yep. SOME is the keyword there. lol

Gotstang? Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by 91GT347 View Post
    Why cant you keep what you have and just run new pipe ? Whats legal on a 71, and on something even 5 years newer can be vastly different. Why exactly are they illegal ? If its just because they dont go to the rear axle, then just run pipe,keep your mufflers,and save money. I know here something that old about anything is legal. Because they didnt come with cats or anything. I would check your local laws before buying something you didnt want in the first place. If your talking about the cherry bomb glass packs. You will gain some performance by going to a flowmaster, Borla, or something of that nature. I know you wouldnt think so. With the straight through design. They cause alot of turbulance inside. Which hinders flow.
    I guess I don't really have to go and buy mufflers ro make it legal but I would like to add them as with as you said the cherry bombs aren't really helping at all. So far after looking and watching on youtube I am even more confused than I was before because they all sound so dang good. I am going to car shows now and listening in person to see what I like. I wish to get something with a nice deep growl.

yep. In person is the only way to know for sure. Too many variables listening online.

Gotstang? Newbie!

something that old shouldnt have too many restrictions on exhaust. i mean depending on the state you live in, and how they are with classics, i just had straight pipes on my 71 mach before i sold it. uhg.... but anyways like i said just straight pipes, no mufflers, no cats, just out the headers and straight to the back. they were pretty sweet. here there is no emissions for cars that old and not really any restrictions on much past say 1979 i think.... so yea check out the laws there where u live before you go getting something u really dont need. have a good one.

Thread Information