gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    Gotstang? Newbie!

Default Any Suggestions on Carb Swap?

While I think my current carb (Grant 650 Speed Demon w/Mechanical Secondaries) is fine for racing, it seems to make the Dart Iron-Eagle 363 Stroker (Siamese Bore) Engine in my 66 very cold natured & not "street friendly". Since I no longer race, I'd like to swap to an Edelbrock Performer 600 Electric Choke or the new Thunder 650 cfm. My 66's engine is set up for torque rather than high rpm (Perfomer heads & intake vs. Performer RPM) with Torque Grind Roller Cam. I'd appreciate any thoughts from those who have run either carb on a performance (torque vs rpm) engine above 351 ci as to their ease of starting/idle/street manners & not leaning out below 5,000 rpms.

S.O.B !!! I NEED GAS !!! 91GT347's Avatar

My suggestion is a vacuum secondary Holley. I can name close to 10 people that bought Edelbrock carbs, and immediately switched back. I used V.S. Holleys on my daily drivers for years with no issues. The last was a 388Chevy. It will save you alot of gas over the double pumper too. You also need a 750 on there. What exactly wasnt "street friendly" about it ? Honestly it sounds like a tuning problem, IMO. I would still want to swap it for a vacuum model though. Its a good idea to get the kit to change the secondary metering plate to a metering block. So you can swap jet sizes on the secondaries.
    Last edited by 91GT347; 07-06-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Gotstang? Newbie!

Thanks, I have very little knowledge of Holley Carbs but I'll give that some thought.

Gotstang? Newbie!

I talked over my desire for more streetability with a local master mechanic who has used all the different carbs on his and other vehicles. He said the Holley was okay, but for my particular type of driving (he knows me, my 66 and how I drive it) he suggested the Edelbrock 1806 Thunder Series, 650cfm. He preferes the Edelbrock for ease of adjustment (if any is ever needed). I've had Edelbrock 1406's in the past with good results on stock and lightly modified engines. The 1806 will be on the Dart 8.2 Deck/Siamese Bore 363ci Stroker set up for Torque in my 66 and used for cruising vs. racing so I hope it's larger primaries will provide the added fule the stroker engine may need at low rpm's vs. a 1406. I ordered the 1806 from Atlantic Speed, 803-548-6991, as their $359.88 price was $10 less than Summit & they had free shipping vs. $12.95 from Summit. I'll let you know how the new carb performs once it is installed & I sell my Grant Speed Demon Carbs.

Gotstang? Newbie!

Got the Edelbrock 650 cfm Thunder Series Carb installed! My 66 now starts & doesn't immediately die & no more going back & forth between the accelerator and brake as I come to a light or stop sign! My wide ratio A/F Gauge used to go up and down between 11 to 1 all the way up to 17 to 1 and back with the Speed Demon, now it stays pretty much in the 11 or 12 to 1 and the engine still has more than enough "steam" for my purposes! I'm not knocking the Speed Demon carb, it is just for my "cruising" the Edelbrock seems to give me the "street manners" I wanted.

Thread Information