gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com

Default 4nomore's overhaul project

I know not everyone keeps up on blogs, so I decided to post here in the forums my latest overhaul on my 4nomore daily driver.

For those who don't know me yet;

Back in June of 2006 I swapped my 4 cyl engine for the 5.0 from a 93 donor car, this was by far the most rewarding project I've ever done in my life. But; due to the complexity of the project I dropped the 85k mile engine in the car with basically no internal changes (to preserve an engine I know ran so i could eliminate it as a variable to getting the car running as an EFI v8 powertrain)

So; 2 1/2 years later in 2008 I came to the realization that the 85k mile engine was maybe really 185k miles; it needed rings pretty bad; it ran awesome; but towards the later part of 2008 the blow-by was fogging the windshield up in about 5 days! I had plans to put on a kennebell supercharger so I definately needed to fix this problem sooner than later.

So in November 2008 I took the 4nomore off the road for winter and began plotting my rebuild. I decided that if I could figure out how to make a 4 cyl car into a 5.0 then I could probably handle rebuilding the shortblock myself (after all, there are books, friends and the internet!)

I spared little thought to the price of parts and went all out with H-beam rods, hardened pushrods, comp cams semi-aggressive cam, AFR 165 heads, and a cobra intake. I built specs specifically for the KB with dish pistons and appropriate cam lift.

The project has taken me months....I'm just now wrapping things up and expect to turn the key this Sunday. I'll be glad to be finished the project so I can go back to a normal life of cruising instead of countless hours in the garage. I'm equally nervous of engine failure; I built the engine alone and unsupervised, besides measuring for pushrods and machine work to the block, noone else touched this engine start to finish except for me! That definately has me very nervous!

I hope I succeed...not only for me; but I really want to show people that you can really do whatever you want to do in life if you try. I didn't know very much about engines a few years ago..I could only diagnose common problems like a bad alternator, bad water pump, bad sparkplug and stuff like that. I definately was no mechanic; just an enthusiast that loved my mustang.

I'm greatful of J, without his support I wouldn't have gotten through any of these overhauls.

I hope you all will tune-in by the end of the week to see how things go, who knows; you may just be inspired to start your own project! (just don't blame me something goes wrong)

Last edited by Nicoleb3x3; 06-22-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Thread Information