gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    Gotstang? Newbie!

Exclamation missing above 3500 after warm up

I've had my 351 in for about 4 years now and recently developed a miss at higher rpm's. I noticed a slight "tick" in the upper engine about 3 months after switching to 5w-20 motorcraft synthetic that has gotten progressively worse but only after the car warms up. my first thought was the thinner oil was causing a lifter to collapse(hydraulic flat tappet) since when it was cold it didn't make noise. changed the oil back to conventional 10w-30 with a bottle of lucas additive and no difference; no noise when cold, noise when hot. I took the valve covers off and checked the push rods and rocker assemblies and all looks good. I hit 6800 rpm a couple of times so I wanted to make sure nothing was bent. I also noticed the afore mentioned miss or hessatation all around the same time so figured all the symptoms are related. Checked the timeing, TPS, Changed the wires and the spark plugs all look good but did not change them. A seperate issue I noticed today is from idle in neutral, if I goose it the fuel pressure DROPS until it returns to idle. Never noticed it before and I don't know if I'm noticing it now cause everthing is F'ed up or what!!I've had the same adj fuel pressure regulator(vacuum controlled) and 255lph fuel pump for years with no problems. adj pressure to 45psi without vac which translates to 40 with vac. A/F ratio looks good through out rpm range so I'm stumped. Bad fuel pump? Bad lifter? Bad spark plugs? Bad coil not producing enough spark? I need some ideas cause I can't just throw money at it....HELP!!!
    thanks,
    Brad\ GTNBY2

hmm have you checked injectors? I know injectors can make ticking noises.. of course a bad lifter may do that as well.. when was the last time you changed fuel filter?

GSMC#10 (Got Stang? Midnight Crew)
    GSBMC#10 (Got Stang? Black Mustang Crew)

Quote Originally Posted by EdditGT
    dude you're like the only online friend I have that I actually consider real cuz I've met you, hahaha lol
    and cuz you're a sexy bitch....yeah!

Gotstang? Newbie!

those are two things i didn't really think about...injectors i can check real quick with a wiggle test to see if a miss occurs but I think its deeper in the engine. As for the fuel filter, its been a while since I changed it so it is a good candidate for the fuel pressure issue. good frickin' idea dude!!! it's like 30 degrees outside right now but we got some warmer weather coming so I'm goona change the filter...(I already have one in the shed!!!)
    Thanks J!

Gotstang? Newbie!

UPDATE 4/5/09
    found the tick, the miss, and a buch of teeth in the bottom of my oil pan!!! The whole story is on my page....Destroyed the cam!!!
    Thanks,
    Brad
    GTNBY2

Thread Information