gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    Life begins at 8 psi... EddieGT's Avatar

Exclamation Cobra's tranny personalities...

Thought I'd share this old thread I read from svtperformance.com

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ad.php?t=16141

It should give you fellow Cobra owners a little piece of mind when it comes to all them strange noises and vibrations that our T45 and T56 transmissions make in our Cobras...

I particulalry liked the following statement because I said the exact same thing to a buddy of mine just yesterday...

"Does anyone notice the noise in first gear coming from the t-56. It sounds like a diesel!"

haha...

Cheers!
    1997 SVT Cobra Vert (Black)
    2001 Audi S4 6-speed (Silver)
    1992 Subaru SVX LS-L (Silver/Black)
    History:
    2004 SVT Cobra Coupe (Black) - 2004 40th Anniversary Limited Edition (authentic...) Mustang GT Vert (Black with Arizona Beige stripes) - 2000 Mustang GT Vert (Silver) - 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Red) - 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Red) - 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (Silver) - 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (Red) - 1999 Mazda Protege ES (Silver) - 1990 Undisclosed Ford Vehicle (dark blue) - 1985.5 Toyota MR2 (Red)

"Eaton" F-Bodies since 2004... (But 'til 2005...)
    GSBMC #999 (Got Stang? Black Mustang Crew)

I'll leave u in the dust

Thats weird!

1990 GT 25th Anniversary

heck yea the things are noisey and make weird sounds
    2000 White Mustang GT Twin Turbo T/3 T/4 380HP 470TQ = Nuff Said

Sold:
    1999 Chromalusion Cobra
    2000 Mustang GT

Black Wheels > You

I wouldn't know....

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmystang
    I wouldn't know....
    Maybe your brand new automatic will come with a new feature that adds Tremec T-56 noises at the push of a button!

just playing with you bro
    History:
    2004 SVT Cobra Coupe (Black) - 2004 40th Anniversary Limited Edition (authentic...) Mustang GT Vert (Black with Arizona Beige stripes) - 2000 Mustang GT Vert (Silver) - 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Red) - 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Red) - 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (Silver) - 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (Red) - 1999 Mazda Protege ES (Silver) - 1990 Undisclosed Ford Vehicle (dark blue) - 1985.5 Toyota MR2 (Red)

V6 Guru

When people bring in their Cobra's at the dealership and complain about weird noises, I just smile and shake my head.
    1994 v6- Project car
    1997 v6- M112'd, SSM 2+ powerpack- In process of being a track car
    1998 GT- Daily Driver
    2001 GT- Vortech supercharged plus a few bolton's
    Sponsors for the 97 V6:
    VMP Tuning
    Super Six Motorsports
    Autobadges.com

Newb!

466RWHP 490RWTQ
    Magnaflow Cat-Back, UPR O/R X-pipe, K&N FIPK
    2.76 Non Slip S/C Pulley
    4 Peice Idler Set 3 100mm 1 92mm
    Gates 74.5" Belt
    NGK TR6 Plugs
    SCT Multi Chip Package Custom Tuned By Herman

GSMC#1

I am a and I am definately a

There was a mention of a TSB for Cobra's related to their transmissions in 5.0 Mustang and FF's not too long ago. May want to ask the dealer to look it up for you.

[

Gotstang? Newbie!

Cool

Try the new bad oy TKO 600 thas next im tired of blowing world class T-5's one a year go me

Default noise? vibrations? Diesel??

I've heard of some isolated tranny problems as well as some early problems in the 03-04's that led to some redesigning of the heads, but I assure you it's not every SVT Cobra across the board. The tranny on my 03 is tight, and noise free. Though, I have to admit ever since I had the exhaust done the tranny could be falling out and I'd never hear it! I have a friend with an 04 who beefed up his HP like we all do and experienced wheel hop like we all do, but instead of listening to the voices of reason that told him he wasn't driving a straight axle anymore and that the IRS requires a different approach to launches, he kept trying to burn through it and developed some really good vibrations!
    All I can base my opinion on is, my own experience with my car and on the hours I've spent hanging out with hundreds of 03-04 Cobra owners at various car shows. I'd love to read some reports on this though.. My curiousity is definitely up now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim03svt
    I've heard of some isolated tranny problems as well as some early problems in the 03-04's that led to some redesigning of the heads, but I assure you it's not every SVT Cobra across the board. The tranny on my 03 is tight, and noise free. Though, I have to admit ever since I had the exhaust done the tranny could be falling out and I'd never hear it! I have a friend with an 04 who beefed up his HP like we all do and experienced wheel hop like we all do, but instead of listening to the voices of reason that told him he wasn't driving a straight axle anymore and that the IRS requires a different approach to launches, he kept trying to burn through it and developed some really good vibrations!
    All I can base my opinion on is, my own experience with my car and on the hours I've spent hanging out with hundreds of 03-04 Cobra owners at various car shows. I'd love to read some reports on this though.. My curiousity is definitely up now!
    I wonder if some of my problems are due to wheel hop damage slowly creeping up... I'd hate to know that's the reason.

If you lived near me I'd let you drive my '04 so you can tell me if what you feel/hear seems normal or not.
    History:

Quote Originally Posted by EddieGT
    I wonder if some of my problems are due to wheel hop damage slowly creeping up... I'd hate to know that's the reason.

If you lived near me I'd let you drive my '04 so you can tell me if what you feel/hear seems normal or not.
    Eddie, have you been letting it hop regularly?? If you have I suppose you might've twisted something, but without feeling it or hearing it I'd hate to guess. I wish I lived closer too! I'll be in California in August for a week. If you haven't had it diagnosed by then maybe you could drive it down there. I'm going to a friend's wedding in Sebastopol, CA, which is a little North of San Francisco, but I use to live at the foot of Mt Shasta (just south of the OR border on I-5) and I was thinking of taking a ride up that way to see the old place. That would mean you'd only have to drive through OR. Food for thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim03svt
    Eddie, have you been letting it hop regularly?? If you have I suppose you might've twisted something, but without feeling it or hearing it I'd hate to guess. I wish I lived closer too! I'll be in California in August for a week. If you haven't had it diagnosed by then maybe you could drive it down there. I'm going to a friend's wedding in Sebastopol, CA, which is a little North of San Francisco, but I use to live at the foot of Mt Shasta (just south of the OR border on I-5) and I was thinking of taking a ride up that way to see the old place. That would mean you'd only have to drive through OR. Food for thought!
    Man, keep me posted! My fiancee's been bugging me for a roadtrip, and that sounds like a nice central point to meet up! I think I can make it to the southern OR border in about 8 to 9 hours from where I live, and that's if I do the speed limit.

To answer your question, I don't let it hop regulalry, in fact, the last few times I've gotten wheel hop has been by accident when it's wet out and I take off in 2nd gear...

The first time I got wheel hop was when I tried a hard launch, and as soon as I felt the wheel hop I became disgusted by it and let off the gas...

Have been "babying" it ever since. The dealer checked my rear end and fonud no problems...or so they say! I have the service records in case it develops a problem so I have proof I tried to get it diagnosed already.

I love freeway racing, though... Since it's not as harsh on the drivetrain...
    History:

My friend hasn't set a date for his wedding yet, but as soon as he does I'll definitely let you know! Yeah, 8 hours isn't bad at all! I wasn't planning on driving out from Tennessee and put all those miles on my car, plus I can only take a week off, so I was planning on flying...NOW I want to take the cobra!!!! ha ha

Thread Information