gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    Gotstang? Newbie!

Default Wierd problem need help

So lately I have been having an electrical problem...Everytime I step on brake the instrument cluster resets and ALL my electronics go out.....One guy I trust said it was instrument cluster and Ford would have to replace it. SO took it to local Ford dealearship and they said all i needed was new battery.....Problem solved right? NO! Worked fine for about 2 weeks then started messing up again. So i bought a Simco intsrument cluster installed it and problem is still happening!! Any thoughts? My dad seems to think the brake sensor may be the cause of it all cause it only happens when the brake is pressed......

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Seems like something is loose to me... When did it start happening.

GSMC#10 (Got Stang? Midnight Crew)
    GSBMC#10 (Got Stang? Black Mustang Crew)

Quote Originally Posted by EdditGT
    dude you're like the only online friend I have that I actually consider real cuz I've met you, hahaha lol
    and cuz you're a sexy bitch....yeah!

Gotstang? Newbie!

Its been about 4 weeks now

Have the new battery tested. Sounds like a low/under voltage issue. Maybe a bad cell in the battery. The draw is the brake lights (7 extra bulbs buring)
    - Jim

sig by: Crimsonblack (Many thanks!)

Gotstang? Newbie!

well here is the thing Ford installed the $200 battery themselves so I would THINK they know what they are doing......am I right?

Gotstang? Newbie!

Ok so maybe it could be the voltage........but how would i go about fixing it?

Is the car running when this happens? If so; check the alternator, I've seen similar problems with a bad alternator, and yes they can be weak and still keep the car running. Symptoms possible like "ghosts in the electrical system doing wired things"

Also; for the hell of it, turn you ignition key 'on' and your lights on, then step on the brake....do it for 10 mins...is the cluster lights working ok? If you don't experience the problem with the car not running, then I seriously would be checking the alternator.

BTW: for those who don't know- when the car is running the battery is not being used. The battery is only for starting the car, and then the alternator takes over. You should be able to disconnect the battery and the car still run.

Gotstang? Newbie!

Thanks the second scenario is what is wrong. I would press the brake and the air bag light would come on AND the theft light would start blinking. Sometimes if the theft light was blinkin I could not even start the car. It would turn over but would not crank

Thread Information