gotstang.com forums logo
back to gotstang.com
    Gotstang? Newbie!

Default Under drive pulleys

I ordered a set of bbk under drive pulleys and have read that they take away from the performance of electronics like the radio. has anyone that has installed under drive pulleys had any problems with decreased performance from their car electronics?

IMO they are not worth the the time or money. They look nice and suppose to add a little HP but your charging system will be shot to hell. I had them on my GT and was not happy with them when it come to driving at night.

Gotstang? Newbie!

I had one on a 92 GT the HP gain was Noticeable but after about 6mo my alternator was shot.

damn that sucks, i just order some right before i got on here and read this stuff.

Gotstang? Newbie!

ok thanks for your input and opinions. im going to have to try to return them to summit.

Hey Bucket, the majority of folks I've talked with did not put them on a daily driver. With that being said none of them have had issues with the alternator failing. Don't know if that makes you feel any better. I will be putting a MotoBlue set on our stang before the end of summer.

The pulleys are fine and do free up some hp but I would recomend not putting on the pulley for the alternator unless you dont drive it much at night and dont have an after market radio. Mine was fine till I instaled a new radio amps and a sub alternator died about 2 weeks after.

S.O.B !!! I NEED GAS !!! 91GT347's Avatar

I have never heard of anyone having problems with pulleys on a 4.6. On a 5.0 there is alot of charging,overheating,ect,ect. I know a bunch of people with them and they have no issues at all. except on a fox. On a 5.0 you just dont change the alt. pulley and you should be good. If you have a serious stereo or something as above. You definately dont want to change the alt. pulley. Unless you get a higher output alt.
    Last edited by 91GT347; 04-30-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Thread Information