PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Still Cruise?

BLWN66
07-19-2007, 07:49 PM
No seriously!

Okay "cruising" here on Saturday nights happen in two places on the opposite sides of town (30 minutes apart). In each place there are 400 cars every saturday night. Pretty awesome.

Here's the problem. . .they just SIT there and show their cars. WTF? That's not cruising! Yeah can't leave. . .lose your parking spot.

Back in the day we use to cruise Central Avenue, it was about a 3 mile stretch up and back and parking up and down the street. Cops closed it down. . .and now we have this kind of "cruising".

So tell us about your cruising. ..is it old style or is it a mini car show where no one fires up unless they are going home.

Squid
07-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Most of the places I've seen have actually banned "cruising." I hear you -- cruising was actually driving up and down the street, but the parking lot meets are much fun too.

Any time I can get the cars out and hang with others with the same love is good for me.

BLWN66
07-19-2007, 11:51 PM
I agree about the cruise shows. . .but nothing better than this. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFgTMYEaWlc

01FR500
07-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I used to cruise where I live. On Stateline Ave., a road that "is" the stateline between Tx and AR. Now, it seems that there are only college dropouts that I graduated with and people with beat-up land yachts with huge chrome rims. It annoys me to go out there anymore so I don't cruise. In Shreveport, a little over an hour away, there used to be a road that people cruised on alot, probably same type of people as here. They passed some laws that banned it and they say almost no one cruises there either. I perfer get-togethers with friends and talk cars now.

Nicoleb3x3
07-20-2007, 06:03 PM
If you want to cruise, go to woodward dream cruise in detroit MI!
we drive there each year just so we can cruise this awesome strip with 20+ mustangs in a line and side by side! with michigan lefts and 4 and 5 lanes!

check out this blog and take a look at the video that I posted!
http://www.gotstang.com/blog/2045#jump

electricgreen
07-26-2007, 07:24 PM
You only have two cruise nights?? On the same night?? wow, that would suck. We've got at least two per night...

And yes, cruise nights really mean parking nights. We drive our car without a real reason, like cruising, but not in the old school way....a local mustang club just had a scavenger hunt (had to miss, working on the mach). But mostly, just shows and "cruise nights" which are basically like a show without the awards and entrance fee...

wildthing
07-26-2007, 08:39 PM
like everything else the actions of a few have ruined things for everybody else. the main cruise areas in all the towns near me have banned signs posted. we still have many cruise inns , one gets over 400 cars on most saturday nights. but you had better be gentle when you leave there are always cops in the area.......

skispony
07-27-2007, 04:04 PM
i actually went on a real cruise the other weekend we had about 8 cars not a real good turn out but the mix was good. we had a 52 ford pick up, 69 charger, a hotrodded ford fairmont which was cool, a 72 chevelle, a 65 chevelle my 2 mustangs and a new gt 500. we went about 40 miles then had lunch and cruised back. we went up 95 so we got a lot of looks from other drivers which is always cool. i just figured i would put my two cents in.

AmericanMetal
07-29-2007, 02:43 PM
There's been a long-running get-together at the shopping mall every Friday night with 50+ cars on display and a bunch more passing through. Looks like a casual gathering of friends, until you get a closer look at what they've brought. A couple of weeks back we saw a '40 Ford, nicely restored El Camino, a red Terminator, lots of polished classic muscle and a lone ricer. It's sponsored by a local hot rod club, which would explain the caliber of exhibits.

My father-in-law was transfixed by a particular car from the 1950s, claiming there had to be only a few left in existence. A Nova, Boss & Chevelle drove around slowly for kicks, reveling in their own gorgeous cacophony. I couldn't take my eyes off them.

"You think they get together afterwards and line 'em up someplace secret? It would be hard not to, with those cars." I asked him mischievously. "No way," he said. "Those are strictly for show; too nice to risk messing up."

glowstang93
07-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Way back when I was in high school (grad in 1989), we used to cruise from one end of town to the other for hours each night. On one end was a parking lot that we would park, talk, and try to find some women.

I actually met my wife cruising that town and parking lot. These days cruising is almost dead. Life is tough for kids these days

We have car cruises, but they are like miniature car shows. We go through town as a group, but heck, there is never anyone out to even see ya now.

BLWN66
08-09-2007, 12:41 AM
ELECTRIC "You only have two cruise nights?? On the same night?? wow, that would suck. We've got at least two per night..."

I'm sure what that means or who it is for. . .but to clarify. We have a dozen cruises a week. (parking none trophy car shows) Two of many on Saturday night are the best with 400+ cars each. . .at each location.

We have a "cruise" twice a yr (april/October) that someone puts on and we get 2,000 cars on those nights.