PDA

View Full Version : WTF Flag at Half Staff?

ComputerGuy
01-01-2005, 03:18 PM
After serving in the US Military for 23 years, the flag being flown at half-staff has always been a thing of honor for those who have fallen, served, or contributed to our great country in the time of their death.

To be honest, to fly the flag at half-staff for the victims of recent events is a slap in the face and President Bush should reconsider.

Yes it is terrible that many people died, but, to take OUR NATIONAL SYMBOL and to make it subservient to all others is wrong.

J
01-01-2005, 03:22 PM
After serving in the US Military for 23 years, the flag being flown at half-staff has always been a thing of honor for those who have fallen, served, or contributed to our great country in the time of their death.

To be honest, to fly the flag at half-staff for the victims of recent events is a slap in the face and President Bush should reconsider.

Yes it is terrible that many people died, but, to take OUR NATIONAL SYMBOL and to make it subservient to all others is wrong.
the tital waves?

ComputerGuy
01-01-2005, 03:25 PM
the tital waves?

Correct

J
01-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Correct
Flags are at half staff because of that? or was it because of the loss of troops just recently?

ComputerGuy
01-01-2005, 03:35 PM
For the Tsunamie victims

J
01-01-2005, 03:37 PM
wow thats ridiculous......... of course its a great loss... and it is a sad event... but are we gonna have the flags at half staff after every earthquake... etc. Ill have to agree with you on this.

Roush2960
01-01-2005, 04:16 PM
the loss of life is what is being remembered. War or by wave is dose not matter. People died and should be remembered. Lower a flag to half staff..easily done.

ComputerGuy
01-01-2005, 04:20 PM
the loss of life is what is being remembered. War or by wave is dose not matter. People died and should be remembered. Lower a flag to half staff..easily done.

No Offense. Lower your standards.... Easily done... That is what is wrong today. Some things, standards, morals, etc should not be altered at a whim.

J
01-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Lives are lost everyday.. at that thinking wed have the flag at half staff 24/7

Hockeyb0y3
01-01-2005, 04:40 PM
well were some Americans killed in that horiffic site? there was a HUGE loss of life, somthing the wholr world is going to feel, to me the flag at half staff is just a symbol for respect, weather is be US millitary in Iraq or US citizens in an far away land, a loss is still a loss.

Hmongstang
01-01-2005, 04:48 PM
2 me the flag at half staff is just a symbol for respect.

:thanks:

ComputerGuy
01-01-2005, 05:03 PM
well were some Americans killed in that horiffic site? there was a HUGE loss of life, somthing the wholr world is going to feel, to me the flag at half staff is just a symbol for respect, weather is be US millitary in Iraq or US citizens in an far away land, a loss is still a loss.

There are other ways to show respect. I am sure all our money and help is one way. Taking our NATIONAL SYMBOL and placing it down is not one way, or might I say, not the correct way.

Roush2960
01-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I was not suggesting that it be lowered all the time. But for New Years Day to lower if for the 120+ K that lost their lives in the Earthquake /Tsunami and to pay some respect to the service men that have lost their lives this last year in service of their country/goverment.

I may not agree with why they are there as much as I respect that they are there for our country doing a tough job. So to lower my standards and pay respect for there sacrifices, No Problem with that for me.

./M@

My standards come from being a former Airborne-ranger. I also spent ten years after service making device for our (three letter branch's) country to monitor the aggressors that seeked to do harm to this country of ours and our allies.

95mustang302
01-01-2005, 05:35 PM
yea i think that is right we should remeber the people no longer here!!

ComputerGuy
01-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Thank you for serving. As an Airborne Ranger then you should know down in your gut, that lowering something you and I have served for, that some of our friends have died for, is wrong in this instance.

BTW, ever in Vicensa Italy with the 325?

Not attacking your patriotism, Nor am I attcking you feelings, just your reasoning.

The flag should only be lowered for those who have paid a significant sacrifice, or a significant service for OUR COUNTRY.

Fastest302
01-01-2005, 05:48 PM
It shows respect and it shows that our country cares!

Roush2960
01-02-2005, 09:14 PM
No never did time there in Italy. I am not lowering my standards. When you lower the flag for a tragedy like a 9.0 Earthquake and the following Tsunamia and to honor all the soliders that last their lives the year before. I feel thats a valid reason...By the same token you would suggest that the victoms of the 911 attack did not deserve the lowering as well. They were all civilians and did nothing heroic?

./M@

Yes I like discusing a diffrence of opinions and I am in no way hurt or upset with your comments. I just have my feeling on the subject, As do you.

outlandishstang
01-02-2005, 10:13 PM
FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure" (e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President, etc.).

GOOD-FAITH MISUNDERSTANDINGS: Although the code is actually pretty clear, confusion continues to occur. For example, U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno recently ordered the American Flag flown at half-staff on all U.S. Department of Justice buildings, in honor of several DEA agents who had died. While NFF understands this gesture, the Flag Code does not give Attorney General Reno the authority to issue that order. Closer to NFF's Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania home, Mayor Tom Murphy ordered all flags flown at half-staff to honor the victims of a plane crash. Here again, a well-intentioned gesture, but one for which no authority exists. NFF points out these "good-faith misunderstandings" not to criticize or embarrass anyone, but rather to head off a growing trivialization of this memorial salute, and to preserve the dignity and significance of flying the U.S. flag at half-staff. To any readers who may think that NFF is insensitive for raising these breaches of etiquette, please be assured that our motives are pure. We grieve these human loses deeply; however, we believe proper respect for our flag must be maintained - no matter the circumstances.

04redmach1
01-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Our money shows we care... It didnt happen on our turf so our flag should stay high. Ya its bad that,that many peeps lost their lives, but like forest gump says "$hit happens" But in all honesty its the bombing in Iraq causing the falt lines to shift more often. Couple months back they recorded over 500 small quakes on Cali-Nevada border. I say pull us out and level them fuckers!! :cussing: :devil:

232stang
01-03-2005, 12:24 AM
whats wrong with it being at half staff, a goliath amount of people were killed. the flag should be at half staff, it is a tragic event.

BruntzySVT
01-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Only if i was not lazy and read all this!

Snake
01-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Being ex service myself,I think some of you should pull in your horns and stop being so arrogant,
I think there is nothing wrong with running the ensign or flag or whatever at halfmast to say we care that people have died and some of them are ours.
Who knows,some of your ex servicemen and women could be in amongst the dead.
Just remember,you are not the only person on this planet.

My Cobra
01-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Pretty touchey subject here :) I would say that it should be at halfmast but for how long i dunno. I would say not as long as if a person in our armed forces was killed. We shoudl show some respect for them but at what point do we stop showing respect for everythign and taking the meaning out of the things that have a meaning to us.

J
01-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Maybe we should fly the flag at halfstaff when michael jordan dies.

04redmach1
01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
When carrol shelby dies we need to go to half staff :j: