PDA

View Full Version : Blew my motor

TrevX
12-30-2004, 02:13 AM
I blew the motor up in my stang yesterday night. We had just finished hooking up the Nitrous kit and decided to test it out with a 50shot...well it turns out it wasn't a 50shot...but my motor should have held up to a 100...it was a 75shot (wrong pill). Anyway....slammed first went sideways, hit second, held the button through second and shifted at 5grand didn't want to bring it to 5,500-6,000rpms untill i trusted myself with it...this was the first run & the last. It came to a slow stop, and backfired. I have no idea what went wrong...i've known many people to run a 100shot on a stock motor and no problems...I guess my car just doesn't like nitrous.

J
12-30-2004, 02:15 AM
Wow damn.. nice first post.

Was it a dry shot?

TrevX
12-30-2004, 02:17 AM
Yeah...we decided to run a dry shot and we made a bunghole right before the MAM so it would read it was getting alot more cold air and would fatten the motor up. (reason I ran a dry shot was to just test it). I was going to buy new fuel rails from an 2002 GT because the 03-04 models do not have a schrader valve so I couldn't hook up the wet shot yet.

Was it because it was a dry shot that it caused my motor to blow?

AcidKoolz
12-30-2004, 02:23 AM
man that sucks, sorry

TrevX
12-30-2004, 02:29 AM
Took all the nitrous off...unwired everything & had it towed to the dealership..hopefully they won't know it had nitrous on it. If they ask why it blew up or how...I'll just say I was going into 4th from 3rd and hit second and it pegged the limiter a few times and blew up.

Joe Friday
12-30-2004, 06:08 AM
Was this on your 04 gt. I was thinking of putting a 100 shot on my GT but you're making me re-think my self.... but if the motor blew it would leave room to drop in a 03-04 cobra motor with the kenny bell upgrade :D

Fastest302
12-30-2004, 08:28 AM
dam man that sucks.My cuz has a 1990 Saleen and ran a 100 shot on is car and he beats the shit out of that car when he racs and his car is fine.

TrevX
12-30-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm thinking it's because it was a dry shot....I'm not using it again till I get the 2002 fuel rails so I can hook the fuel solenoid up and run a 100 wet shot.

J
12-30-2004, 01:09 PM
I run a WET 65 shot all day on my stock internals...

A dry shot of that amount... wow .. no wonder it blew.

My Cobra
12-30-2004, 01:49 PM
damn, under warentee? lol that sucks for the dealer

Fastest302
12-30-2004, 02:08 PM
that dealer is gonna be like what the hell did he do to the car.lol hope u screw them over

NoSlo5.0
12-30-2004, 04:07 PM
post edited for being mean...

TrevX
12-30-2004, 05:45 PM
post edited for being mean...

...what exactly did this beasty boy say? :rofl:

TrevX
12-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Engine I'll be getting if ford doesn't replace the motor:

VT 2v GT Longblock:

Forged Diamond pistons
VT forged crank
Tri-metal bearings
arp main and headstuds
hi volume oilpump/pickup tube
rear seal plate
stage 1 CNC heads w/ ferrera oversized stainless steal valves
comp cams / valve springs

(vtengines.com)

mysteed
12-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Engine I'll be getting if ford doesn't replace the motor:

VT 2v GT Longblock:

Forged Diamond pistons
VT forged crank
Tri-metal bearings
arp main and headstuds
hi volume oilpump/pickup tube
rear seal plate
stage 1 CNC heads w/ ferrera oversized stainless steal valves
comp cams / valve springs

(vtengines.com)
Why? Just go out and get the 04 cobra engine/transmission combo for about 6grand from ford motorsports, then you've got about 390hp in stock form. They dont list it on their website so many people dont even know about it.

_eazy_
01-02-2005, 12:09 AM
what about the hole in your air intake pipe from the nozzle?.. cant take it to ford with that... :nos: :nos: :nos: :nos:

TrevX
01-02-2005, 12:28 AM
I did leave the stock intake..if they ask....I bought it used and the guy forgot to send the plug for it and it was used for dyno tuning to read the airflow. :thumpupn:

(it's a metal one so aftermarket)

AcidKoolz
01-02-2005, 02:01 AM
I did leave the stock intake..if they ask....I bought it used and the guy forgot to send the plug for it and it was used for dyno tuning to read the airflow. :thumpupn:

(it's a metal one so aftermarket)
pretty ingenious

FastRedPonyCar
01-18-2005, 04:44 PM
It blew up most likely because you ran the nitrous through the MAF sensor. That was a dumb move and if the kit came with instructions, It probably told you not to put it there. I've installed a few kits and every one says to put it in the tube between the maf and throttle body. If it didn't come with instructions then well...it wasn't something you should have been trying to do.

The computer most likely didn't know what to do with the A/F ratio and maxed out the injector fuel flow which would cause the backfire.

Ford aren't idiots and their scanning tools show a LOT more info than you realize. It shows how many times you've redlined and hit rev limiter for instance. They deny warranty work if it shows that you frequent that sort of behavior. I saw it happen twice at my local dealership.

They will most likely see that the A/F ratio was all over the place and know that something was wrong that a stock and/or lightly modified car should not show. If that's the case they'll laugh and tell you to take a hike. Or you could get lucky and they'll replace the motor. I've seen guys in both situations. The only thing you can do if they do turn you down is to take it to another dealership and hope for better luck.

Next time please read the instructions. If the instructions called for this install location then whoever designed the kit should be shot in the face.

FastRedPonyCar
01-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Why? Just go out and get the 04 cobra engine/transmission combo for about 6grand from ford motorsports, then you've got about 390hp in stock form. They dont list it on their website so many people dont even know about it.

Because then he'd have to go through the hassle of re-wiring the entire car to accept the new engine and ecu and electrical system. It's SOO much more complicated than just pulling one engine and dropping in another.

A VT engine is the best alternative. I've seen some of their cars with Tim's (cobrakiller) tune and they are some of the most ferocious 2V cars on the planet.

A friend of mine dave (GI Joe) has a daily driven GT with a built 2V motor with the 2.2L Kenne bell that runs 10's with a bad launch and lifting 3/4 the way down the track.

It also happens to make more power than the KB 03~04 cobras also.

mysteed
01-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I've seen both types (2v and 4v) at Tim's shop (I feel like I practically live there at the shop even though I've only physically been there a few times) and EVERYTHING that Tim builds is a beast. The fastest that I've seen is a TT bullitt that has 1,200-1,400rwhp. They should be done with it this week and are taking it Commerce (I think) on Sunday to run some times. That HP is good for 8's in the 1/4 mile.

IggyBiggy
01-22-2005, 10:00 PM
I'll just say I was going into 4th from 3rd and hit second and it pegged the limiter a few times and blew up.

:looney: :looney: :looney:

your valves and pistons are probably damaged from the nos, something an over accelerated engine couldnt and wouldnt be able to do.

im probably too late but i thought id just say that.

shifting from 3rd to 2nd doesnt blow up your engine. it can, but then the dealer would realize you were playing around. (u would have to down shift at red line for something to happen) if u got the stock gears, 2nd gear can get you into 60 mph+ (which is probably around 2.5k in 4th and still have a thousand or 2 rpms to reach the fuel pump shut off)
and unless you told/tell the dealer u were on the freeway, they'd/will laugh at you.

burntorangegt
01-24-2005, 06:30 AM
im going to say that u will prob. have to eat that motor cause ford will be able to tell what happened when they pull it apart. But next time you spray anything always go behind the mass air it will not lean out as bad that way. My stock 91 has 150 on it and have never had first problem out of it. But good luck with it. Sorry to hear that bout anybodys ride. :nos: :nos: :nos: