PDA

View Full Version : Caster Camber question

jason2004gt
01-10-2007, 05:58 AM
I put on H&R SS springs. I am adding 17x9 03/04 Cobra rims all the way around with 275/40/17 tires. My question is, can I get an alignment done without needing aftermarket C/C plates?

I had to on my 04 using Steeda sport springs, but using 18x9 rims in the front with 255/40/18 tires.

Please help!!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
-Jason

GirlzGT
01-10-2007, 06:39 AM
wheel/tire size dont really matter. well it does but it doesnt.
lowering the car in any way changes the caster/camber regardless of what size wheels/tires you have... so yes, get the cc plates. your tires will thank you.

tweety
01-10-2007, 08:59 AM
how much of a drop did you get. I have managed to not have to get CC plates for mine. I just drilled out the rivets and they have been able to get her close enough

jason2004gt
01-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Well the H&R SS' lowered the car close to 2". I am trying to avoid doing the aftermarket C/C plates due to $$$$$. I don't really have the money right now to do everything I need. I think I can get away without doing the C/C plates.

Thanks for the input BTW!

tweety
01-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Well the H&R SS' lowered the car close to 2". I am trying to avoid doing the aftermarket C/C plates due to $$$$$. I don't really have the money right now to do everything I need. I think I can get away without doing the C/C plates.

Thanks for the input BTW!
Welll if you dropped that low you are most likely going to need cc plates

Q-400
01-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Just keep in mind that any lowering over 1.4" is gonna require the use of caster/camber plates to obtain a proper alignment. I recommend getting the cc plates regardless of drop anytime you are gonna remove the struts anyways, just for the adjustablity you wouldn't believe what a little lowering and cc adjustments will do for you on the corners, add a rear swaybar to the mix and you can banging out some corners or autoX. Also be aware that there are differant spring ratings and some are matched for differant struts/shocks so not picking the right mix of parts is also key in the ride comfort.

some tech info i have in my forum here is the link.

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=1725&mforum=mustanggarage#1725

if you need more i can always get in touch with steeda, I no anything lower then 1.4 is cc plates time i did my sport springs and they were able to aline the car with no cc plates i just did them later down the road do to money, the car road great with no cc plates and sport springs.

goodluck
Luis

jason2004gt
01-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks Luis. I am definitely doing C/C plates down the road when I have more money. I am just trying to get my new tires and rims on the car without wearing out the new tires before I can get the C/C plates.

-Jason

yosemiddysam
01-11-2007, 04:53 PM
You will also wear out that ball joints without C/C plates. I think it is not a good idea to do this without getting them first. Just my .02

GirlzGT
01-11-2007, 10:13 PM
spend the $150 on cc plates now, or $300 on new tires later...trust me, they wear FAST when they are not used. and 2" is a big drop to not have them.

Q-400
01-11-2007, 10:26 PM
cool j but remember the sport springs from steeda dont go down that far so i was ok with everything but when you bring her down past that 1.4 alot is changing so i say cc plates to be safe if you can or just hold of and save money and do it all at one time which will coast you less since you will be there anyway with the springs.

you may spend more if you do it that way ok

Luis

jason2004gt
01-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I have seen may cars lowered as much as mine without having to go with C/C plates. I think I am going to get the tires mounted and balanced and ask the Manager at the store if he thinks they can get the alignment to work. If he says no, then I guess the C/C plated will be on order as soon as I sale my rims that are currently on my car (the guy is suppossed to pick them up this weekend). I will keep ya' posted on wht happens!

-Jason

jason2004gt
01-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, I went today and got my tires put on the rims and got the alignment done. They were able to drill out the rivets on the C/C plates and correct the alignment. I will post pics of Thumper later on when the sun isn't so bright out, so I can get some good pics.

-Jason

02BlueStang
01-14-2007, 12:17 PM
it still might be a good idea in the future to get a set, they can be spendy especially if you are not going to install them...but they work great when adjusting the car and setting it up for road and track use...I use Maximum Motorsports and they work great...love them