PDA

View Full Version : Cats, and not the fuzzy kind...

EddieGT
08-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Our '97 Cobra vert's in the shop... It developed a loud whining bearing noise on the rear end this past week so we took it in for diagnostic.

Not surprisingly, it'll need new bearings on the rear end... So that's that.

However, they checked up on the Check Engine Light that kept coming on, and it turns out one of the cats it bad. The other, it seems, had already been replaced at some point.

So, my question is, should I go with OEM, or should I get high-flow cats? It's strange it has stock OEM cats because this car has a Bassani X-Pipe and Borla exhaust... You'd think they'd change the cats in the process... Maybe the previous owner wanted to pass emissions. :looney:

What's a good online site to order these from, and around how much should I be looking on spending if I buy both brand new?

Thanks for any info!

Eddie

02BlueStang
08-26-2006, 08:27 PM
if you are going to put cats back on it then I would use High Flow cats.....however with the X pipe already on it, just weld up a piece of pipe to fill in the gap and cut the cats off :beerchug:

cats should run you like 79-119 depending on brand I would assume

EddieGT
08-26-2006, 08:30 PM
if you are going to put cats back on it then I would use High Flow cats.....however with the X pipe already on it, just weld up a piece of pipe to fill in the gap and cut the cats off :beerchug:

cats should run you like 79-119 depending on brand I would assume
I might weld straight pipes... What I don't get is that everywhere I've looked, Bassani X-Pipes come with high-flow cats... Either the guy that owned the car before got the X-Pipe used, or somehow manage to buy it without them (the car has OEM cats installed).

02BlueStang
08-26-2006, 08:36 PM
it might be an offroad X pipe, if thats the case it shouldnt have cats inside of it....guy could have been a complete moron as well and had 2 sets of cats on the thing, I dont see a muffler shop allowing someone to do that without mentioning something though....If the X pipe is an onroad pipe then it should have cats unless someone managed to remove them, which I doubt someone would do....just have the shop check, they will be able to tell you and might solve your problem eddie

EddieGT
08-26-2006, 10:04 PM
it might be an offroad X pipe, if thats the case it shouldnt have cats inside of it....guy could have been a complete moron as well and had 2 sets of cats on the thing, I dont see a muffler shop allowing someone to do that without mentioning something though....If the X pipe is an onroad pipe then it should have cats unless someone managed to remove them, which I doubt someone would do....just have the shop check, they will be able to tell you and might solve your problem eddie
Will do... :beerchug: