PDA

View Full Version : Door Panel Upgrade Installed.

crimsonblack
06-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Installed new driver side door panel and two pieces of trim to match the white of the car. Still got the passenger side to install, but it's over 120 in the garage right now. Maybe tonight.

I went ahead and painted a new set of door handles and dyed some original door handle pads black since new (refurbished) door panels were going to be installed.

J
06-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Lookin good crimson

Nicoleb3x3
06-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Tim, looks awesome!

did you write a how-to on this?

I removed the "frilly pockets" from my doors, but the vinyl needs to be glued back down from the torn bottom seem. -What do recommend to do this? (staple the seem to the back? or a glue and staples?) if you got any tips let me know!

crimsonblack
06-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Tim, looks awesome!

did you write a how-to on this?

I removed the "frilly pockets" from my doors, but the vinyl needs to be glued back down from the torn bottom seem. -What do recommend to do this? (staple the seem to the back? or a glue and staples?) if you got any tips let me know!

I took some pictures of the process but not so much when gluing down the vinyl. I tried a couple of staples on the backside but regular staples will come through wood and partially through the vinyl.

I used the 3M multipurpose adhesive spray. "Do Not" put to heavy a coat on the front side or the vinyl actually beads - found that out the hard way. On the back side I workd the corners first, then one side at a time. I sprayed the edge of both pieces - let them sit a few minutes and then mated them together. Very sticky business.

It was my first time laying down the vinyl stuff so I made some nice mistakes along the way. I am not big on the practice before doing it. I research it, figure out how I want to do and just go for it. Not the smart thing to do yunno. :-0

OH! When you pull the upper piece your left with some cloth on the door panel itself. I cut the old cloth out and filled in the area with black speaker carpet, which looks pretty nice - you actually don't even notice it, but you would if it wasn't there. You could also cut and glue vinyl in the area as well.

They make the one piece door panels now, but I kinda like the three piece units, which allow stang owner some room for a bit of custom work. Unfortunately these are getting hard to find at the junkyard. So many people just rip them off the door and damage them beyond repair, just to get at the guts of the doors. I pick them whenever I find them. Man, the wife gets torqued sometimes. I had three sets in the garage this winter.

Folks that do shows could actually have two sets of these with door handles. One set for daily use and another that's installed for shows only.

meneep
06-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Wow! Those look great!
Nice job!
Love the trim on the dash, too!

Frosty
06-05-2006, 03:30 PM
I like it, there's a classy feel to it.

Nicoleb3x3
06-05-2006, 04:27 PM
thanks for the info!
..yeah I've seen replacement door panels at latemodelrestorationsupply.com
they just recently started to carry them

mine are in perfect shape except for fixing the bottom seam (lucky for me with black interior- black is hard to match)

crimsonblack
06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
thanks for the info!
..yeah I've seen replacement door panels at latemodelrestorationsupply.com
they just recently started to carry them

mine are in perfect shape except for fixing the bottom seam (lucky for me with black interior- black is hard to match)

On many the upper rubber strip that goes against the window is broken. These single pieces are like $80 to replace, and then you have to fart with these huge staples. Cheaper then to create a custom set.

Redoing your bottom piece will allow you to customize it a bit. You could cover it and glue a chrome kick plate or add something special to the area.

baddroptop
06-09-2006, 09:57 PM
how did you design the pony

crimsonblack
06-09-2006, 10:09 PM
I took one of the running ponies I use for the signatures, blacked it out, turned is 90 degrees and printed it out full size to fill an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. Went to Joannes fabrics and picked out my vinyl. I dropped the vinyl and image off at the embroidery (sp) shop. Four hours later and $50 I had the left and right side done. But I only used the running pony on the drivers side to be different. They came out okay.

I actually got both door panels installed tonight (worked on the wife's interior some too. I'll post some pictures later. Wanted to wait until daylight to get some nice ones. I also found some black & white simulated leather seat covers I hope to install when I get done dying the blue seats I have black.

baddroptop
06-09-2006, 10:24 PM
looks real good to me man good job^^^ im debating to keep my vert or parting for a coupe