PDA

View Full Version : Electric Waterpump - Good, Bad????

crimsonblack
03-29-2006, 01:31 AM
I have been checking into an electric waterpump. Anybody got good or bad info on these?

Summit is advertising a unit by Mesiere strickly for the Mustang that cycles 55 gallons per minute.

Living in Las Vegas and the heat wave even my three row with electric fan (with adjustable thermostat) can run extremely warm in traffic. Shouldn't this item help? Or... is it too much circulation and the water will not cool? OR... is that much transfer a good thing keeping the water from actually heating up?

Any help is appreciated as I am a moron in this area. At nearly $500 before install your experience or knowledge kicks ass. There are cheaper units with about 35gpm transfer for $316.oo.

If it's a cooler viable option though I like the idea of using one. :nutkick:

Thanks.

HerNastyNotch
03-29-2006, 07:14 AM
what temp is the car actually running at?

are you gettig the reading off the factory temp gauge?

crimsonblack
03-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah, it's the factory temp gage. It hits about 250 degrees sometimes. This will be my first complete summer with the new thermostat, radiator and electric fan.

Thecarphotoguy1
03-29-2006, 11:52 PM
You might check with lilstinger on GS, he installed an Aluminum Radiator and filled it with a special product (never needs changing) that is guaranteed to drop your temps 30 degrees! I may try to use that product myself (can't recall the name of it) as my 66 runs 220 in Texas heat and would go higher if stopped in traffic (which I try to avoid)!

lxexpress
03-29-2006, 11:54 PM
its called water wetter..awesome stuff.made by redline..ever thought about going to a 2 fan set up?? p.s. read the mixture ratings on the bottle before you dump it in...

lxexpress
03-29-2006, 11:58 PM
something to also think about..get one of those infared gauges that takes the temp of your coolant with a click of a button..may not be as bad as you think if your guage is out..most good garages have them now

HerNastyNotch
03-30-2006, 07:36 AM
i wouldn't trust your factory gauge. my factory gauge always read 150 degrees. i know that wasn't right. i put an autometer temp gauge in and got the real story... my car was running about 220 on any given day with the temps here in florida and the traffic in tampa (UGH).

if you are running an aluminum radiator and a black magic (i assume) electric fan already, i do not think an electric water pump will help you.

flex-a-lite has come out with a new black magic electric fan called an X-treme. it covers more radiator surface and pulls 500 more cfm than the regular black magic. i had to get one of the these fans because the regular black magic fan wasn't keep the car cool enough.

i also have my thermostat hollowed out so it only acts as a restrictor to the waterflow.

amazingly, i have sat in traffic moving at a crawl or not moving at all for 45 minutes or more and never got over 200. with the a/c on it crawled up to 215.

i have never used water wetter but that may also be an option if it works.

crimsonblack
03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks to all for the info. Haven't seen to many resorting to the electric units. I'll check on getting autometer temp gauge installed. The stock units does move up and down alot.