PDA

View Full Version : MY COMPUTER DIED!! and so did most of my pictures and work...

stolenheron
02-24-2006, 12:12 AM
yeah, my laptop died...I lost ever picture, movie, sound clip, word doc., PDF file, etc that I had created or edited since December 24th 2005...so I ask you GS, if you see any pictures of my car or w/e (other than what is on my GS page or Cardomain page) in the forums or on any other website I would appreciate a link to it so I can copy and paste it back into my computer files...thanks for your help in restoring my files on my NEW laptop.

(o btw, besides losing all of my car stuff, I lost over 2 months worth of class notes, reports, and study guides... so I don't know how often I will be able to be on GS!)

joekd
02-24-2006, 12:19 AM
Are you sure it was a hard drive crash?

I have had more then one grateful co-worker who thought they lost everything bring it in and I was able to slave the drive or use it in an external USB enclosure and get all their stuff back

stolenheron
02-24-2006, 12:21 AM
haha no my fans shorted out, and the harddrive physically FRIED!

EddieGT
02-24-2006, 01:34 PM
haha no my fans shorted out, and the harddrive physically FRIED!
It takes a lot for a hard drive to fry. They have thermal resetting capabilities that automatically park the heads and turn off the motor if a certain temperature threshold is exceeded. You should remove the hard drive from the laptop (you'll have to pry open the laptop per its tech reference docs), and use an external USB enclosure like suggested by joekd.

You'll be amazed at how hardy those laptop drives are.

02BlueStang
02-24-2006, 03:13 PM
I would have the hard drive looked at and see if you can hook it up to a regular computer as a slave drive and pull the info off of it....it may not have boot capabilities etc anymore, but there is a good chance that it still has the info you had on it and is recoverable....

just out of curiousity, was it a Dell laptop? they are renowned for hard drive problems...in fact, im on my 3rd and my friend is on his 4th in his laptop :lol:

crimsonblack
02-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Burn CD roms. Ya gotta back-up your stuff.

Black Stallion
02-24-2006, 08:00 PM
I had a virus whipe out my whole computer in November, I had to do the same thing.