PDA

View Full Version : do you turn youre own wrenches

232stang
12-12-2004, 06:58 PM
well i have been inspired to ask you guys this because of another thread
i personnaly turn all my own wrenches, except when i have to do stuff like get the car aligned

Joe Friday
12-12-2004, 07:18 PM
I do everything my self, with the exception where psecilized equiptment is required, or somethign a professional should handle. IE gear Install or alignment

mysteed
12-12-2004, 07:26 PM
I turn my own wrenchs. Well my dad and I turn the wrenches on the stang.

Roush2960
12-12-2004, 07:27 PM
I have done almost all the wrench on my car excepth when the cears and Rear Brake conversion was done. Buddy with a shop gave me such a deal I could not pass.

He did the Rear brake swap over to Cobra size, Bullitt calipers, Rear Aluminum TA cover ,Aluminum DS install , 3.55 gears sold me and installed ...all for the normal cost of gears andinstall cost.

CODY2003
12-12-2004, 07:42 PM
I do all of mine except for oil changes. And that is only because I normally have a lot of crap to do at the same time as I need to change the oil. :cussing:

NoSlo5.0
12-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Nice thread...you know where I'm at on this one ;)

SDRMustang1
12-12-2004, 09:24 PM
I do what I can, but for major stuff I have a guy who specializes in mustangs, shelbys and cobra kit cars, never done me wrong and get to see some awesome cars when hes workin on mine!!!

NoSlo5.0
12-12-2004, 10:26 PM
I'll tell you how I got started. I wanted a Saleen spoiler for my '95. I was stationed in Hawaii at the time and Saleen goofed up on the shipping. After the fallout, I had a set of lowering springs and a foglight kit instead (my '95 was a GTS). Well, no fear with the foglights, but those springs sat in my closet for damn near a year., I was too scared to try and install them myself. A buddy of mine (who didn't know squat about turning wrenches either) convinced me to "just go do it".

Well, a few hours later at the auto hobby shop, it was done, and it looked great, and I was not afraid to try anything after that. Heads, cams, shortblocks, gears, whatever, you name it, I've done it.

When you're through learning, you're through...

jbarr668
12-13-2004, 07:48 AM
As much as possible. Since I dont have a big garage like I used to it has become more difficult, but the satisfaction you get when you turn your own wrenchs rocks!

thunderbolt64
12-13-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm prolly a 90 percent do it your selfer.

Usually if a mechanic does the job, it is because of time constraints, and then I kick my self for about 6 months after.

My Cobra
12-13-2004, 12:44 PM
I do almost everythign my self. Unless it is something like gears or a tune then i let a pro do it.anythign else its all me baby.

NoSlo5.0
12-13-2004, 07:43 PM
This is all good news, I was afraid that most people here were into wheels and stereos and that they paid someone else to install them...

Laguna Seca R
12-13-2004, 08:14 PM
I do my own work as much as possible... it's hard to afford a show car if you don't do your own work. Gears and other specialty tool items however I do have to take to a garage, but I stay there and help them out. I know them real well... Lethal Performance ROCKS!!!

NoSlo5.0
12-13-2004, 10:00 PM
I see a lot of people saying gears are out of their realm. They really aren't that difficult to do properly at home. The only tricky part is setting the pinion bearing preload, if you've felt the drag associated with one that has been set correctly, you can get pretty close from there on out even without the inch-pound dial indicating torque wrench. Usually the factory shims give a decent contact pattern, even with aftermarket gearsets.

232stang
12-13-2004, 10:28 PM
man almost all of us do, thats baddass we will have soem badass tech forums

Hockeyb0y3
12-14-2004, 05:31 AM
i don't do sterio and tuning cause my sponsers take care of that, and im with everyone else on doing my own work, i havent had extra cash for gears yet so i havent researched whats all involved with doing it yourself for those.

all i need is a damn engine hoist and free time so i can re-build my front sus from an accedent.