PDA

View Full Version : Optima Battery Advice

02BlueStang
01-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Ive been looking around at Batteries and obviously Im going to go with an optima...but which one should I go with...they have different sizes and I am thinking a D35 Yellow top deep cycle battery but Im not sure...\

What does everyone have on here? I dont want to get the wrong size and also want to make sure that it fitsin the compartment....I have been around to Sears, Autozone etc and everyone is out of them...so please let me know which one you guys run and how the fitment was etc...

2002 V6 with custom stereo, a lot of upgraded lighting etc

crimsonblack
01-04-2006, 06:46 PM
I believe the yellow top is the one you need. The blue is a marine battery and the red I believe is for motorcycles and such. You can put the posts in teh side or the top.

I like the gell batteries. It will be my next battery purchase when this one croaks. With the heat here in southern Nevada batteries don't last as they should. Good luck with your purchase.

A friend of mine at work purchased one recently and it had a bad cell, but his replacement has been awesome.

02BlueStang
01-04-2006, 06:50 PM
thanks crimson...any idea on which model number fits in the engine bay though....D34 is what I have heard but am not sure....from what it looks like though there is some kind of manufacturing shortage on the things...everyone is out....

I need a model number now, what are you guys running and did they fit right or need some adjusting?

crimsonblack
01-04-2006, 07:03 PM
No I don't. If you're ordering online or by phone you might try someone like Summitt Racing or something like that. They will be able to make sure you get the right style for the stang. Sears automotive has the samples on their shelves but they never have them in stock and I heard the guy there tell a customer they don't have one for his ford, which I thought was crazy.

I have ordered parts through Summitt Racing recently and they were great. Got my Ford Racing 3 row aluminum radiator and electric fan kit through them. No problems at all.

NOTE: I just checked the optima website and it shows NO MATCH for the 1997 to 2004 V6 3.8L engine. So, there may not be one for the Mustang.

coopdog21
01-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Ive been looking around at Batteries and obviously Im going to go with an optima...but which one should I go with...they have different sizes and I am thinking a D35 Yellow top deep cycle battery but Im not sure...\

What does everyone have on here? I dont want to get the wrong size and also want to make sure that it fitsin the compartment....I have been around to Sears, Autozone etc and everyone is out of them...so please let me know which one you guys run and how the fitment was etc...

2002 V6 with custom stereo, a lot of upgraded lighting etc
i have a red one,but you can use the blue marine one as well. i have afriend that put a blue one is his ford truck ,so i think you can use any of the three, just depends on how much cca you want

StangLaura
01-04-2006, 08:02 PM
red top is factory replacement I believe (at least that's how it worked for my sisters 02 camaro)

jason2004gt
01-04-2006, 09:27 PM
I have a yellow top, but not sure of the part number. I will check it out tomorrow and try to let you know!

jason2004gt
01-05-2006, 06:22 PM
My yellow top is model number 34/78, I hope this helps.

02BlueStang
01-05-2006, 08:31 PM
thanks jason, thats what I need to know...any issues with fitment on the battery?

D34 is what I was thinking I was going to have to get...

jason2004gt
01-06-2006, 06:54 AM
It fit perfectly fine, just make sure they give you the plastic bracket with the battery. It bolts down the battery so it won't move around! Other than that, it fit like a glove. LOL

02BlueStang
01-07-2006, 09:30 PM
awesome, now ill get one as soon as someone has the things in stock :beerchug:

21st bday present to myself...Optima battery, Saleen S281 rear and spoiler along with bigger exaust tips and the works :)

joekd
01-07-2006, 11:23 PM
FYI - the only difference between the 34 and the 34/78 styles is that the 34/78 has top and side terminals while the 34 has just top

The actual battery dimensions are identical

sicboy
01-07-2006, 11:34 PM
FYI - the only difference between the 34 and the 34/78 styles is that the 34/78 has top and side terminals while the 34 has just top

The actual battery dimensions are identical
thats good to know... i need two of them, a duel bat relay, and 200 bucks worth of 1 ga terminals and wire :hmmm: why dose it all have to be so spendy

jason2004gt
01-08-2006, 12:12 AM
02Bluestang, good luck on getting everything for your car.
Sicboy, all I can say is damn! You've got a lot of money tied up in your car.

Oh, by the way, my 03/04 Cobra front bumper will be here Monday and my Steeda spoiler will be shipped out Monday. I've already got the chrome STEEDA winglets.
Can't wait to get everything painted and installed!

02BlueStang
01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
^^awesome, def get pics up when everything is done and on the car :beerchug: