PDA

View Full Version : 'WWE Smackdown!' Star Guerrero Dies

Hmongstang
11-13-2005, 09:07 PM
MINNEAPOLIS - Eduardo Gory Guerrero, a World Wrestling Entertainment superstar was found dead in his hotel room Sunday in Minneapolis, where he was scheduled to appear that evening in a WWE Supershow. He was 38.

When he didn't respond to a wake-up call, hotel security at Minneapolis Marriott City Center and Guerrero's nephew and fellow WWE wrestler, Chavo Guerrero, forced their way into the room, police said.

There were no apparent signs of foul play or suicide, police said. An autopsy was planned at the Hennepin County medical examiner's office.

:wow:

Hmongstang
11-13-2005, 09:36 PM
WWE wrestler found dead in Minneapolis hotel room
Chao Xiong, Star Tribune
Last update: November 13, 2005 at 2:55 PM
Printer friendly E-mail this story Local
Group fills growing need to feed hungry

Hennepin County hearing on bar-smoking ban should draw crowd

Violence ripples across Cass Lake

WWE wrestler found dead in Minneapolis hotel room
When World Wrestling Entertainment wrestler Eddie Guerrero didn't answer his wakeup call Sunday and didn't respond to a knock on his hotel-room door, security and Guerrero's nephew forced their way into his room and found the 5-feet-8, 220-pound superstar on the floor, said Minneapolis police.

Efforts to resuscitate the 38-year-old weren't successful and the WWE was suddenly thrust into the task of finding the delicate balance between continuing with tonight's wrestling show while paying tribute to one of its biggest attractions.

"This is a huge loss," said WWE chairman Vince McMahon. "Eddie was a wonderful, fun-loving human being. Eddie was a consummate performer."

"I know Eddie would want the show to go on," said his nephew and fellow WWE wrestler, Chavo Guerrero.

Chavo Guerrero said he found his uncle dead shortly after 7 a.m. in his room at the Marriott Hotel in downtown Minneapolis.

Police said there are no signs of foul play or indications that Guerrero's death was a suicide. His death is under investigation.

Chavo Guerrero and McMahon said Guerrero was open about his past drug and alcohol abuse but they said he'd celebrated four years of sobriety just days ago. Whether or not his past chemical abuse factored into his death is unknown, McMahon said.

Guerrero was in the Twin Cities with 60 to 80 other wrestlers to film "Friday Night Smackdown" at the Target Center.

Guerrero became WWE champion in February 2004, when he defeated Brock Lesnar, a former University of Minnesota wrestling standout. Guerrero lost the title four months later.

Guerrero was featured on the UPN series "WWE Smackdown!" and was the son of Mexican wrestler Gory Guerrero. He is survived by his wife Vickie and daughters Shaul, 14; Sherilyn, 9, and Kaylie Marie, 3.

In May 2004, UPN aired the special "Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story." The one-hour program chronicled his childhood and his struggle with drug addiction that almost cost him his job, family and life before his recovery and eventual capture of the WWE championship.

Guerrero was born into Mexico's first family of professional wrestling, and grew up in El Paso, Texas. He and his three older brothers were all wrestlers.

His drug escapades as an adult included flipping his car going 130 miles per hour while taking Ecstasy. Doctors told the family that it was unlikely he would survive. From there, he went numerous binges abusing cocaine, alcohol and pain killers. He was fired by the WWE, his wife filed for divorce, and the IRS seized his wages.

After recovery, he remarried his wife, reclaimed his job and became the second wrestler of Hispanic heritage to be WWE champion.

While a cause of death for Guerrero wasn't immediately known, the pro wrestling profession has seen numerous premature deaths in recent years, some tied directly to steroid use.

In a March 2004 report, USA Today said that at least 65 wrestlers had died since 1997 - 25 from heart attacks or other coronary problems. Many had enlarged hearts. In five of the 25 deaths, medical examiners found that steroids might have played a role. Excessive steroid use can lead to an enlarged heart. In 12 others, coroners cited evidence of use of painkillers, cocaine and other drugs.

Steroids played a role in the deaths of several pro wrestlers since 1997, USA Today reported. Among them:

Curt Hennig, 44, died of acute cocaine intoxication in 2003. His father said a lethal combination of steroids and painkillers contributed to his death.

Davey Boy Smith (the British Bulldog), 39,died in 2002 of an enlarged heart with evidence of microscopic scar tissue, possibly from steroid abuse, a coroner said.

Louie (Spicolli) Mucciolo, 27, died from coronary disease in 1998. Investigators found an empty vial of the male hormone testosterone, pain pills and an anxiety-reducing drug.

Richard (Ravishing Rick Rude) Rood, 40, died from an overdose of "mixed medications" in 1999.

(Flyin') Brian Pillman, 35, was taking painkillers and human-growth hormone when he died from heart disease in 1997, his widow said.

Staff writer Paul Walsh contributed to this report. Chao Xiong • 612-673-4391

ace184
11-14-2005, 01:09 AM
this sux. he was one of my favorite wrestlers. everyone is gonna miss him.

Terminator X
11-14-2005, 01:10 AM
this sux. he was one of my favorite wrestlers. everyone is gonna miss him.
Very sad

mustangfreak123
11-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Very sad
yes indeed, he always put on an awesome show :goodbye:

ace184
11-15-2005, 12:54 PM
from wwe.com

Vickie Guerrero speaks on Eddie's autopsy report
Nov. 15, 2005

After the untimely passing of Eddie Guerrero, WWE and the entire sports-entertainment community is still reeling from the devastating loss of a champion. The initial autopsy reports on Guerrero have come in. WWE.com spoke with Eddie’s widow, Vickie Guerrero, earlier today.

“It was heart failure. It was from his past – the drinking and the drug abuse. They found signs of heart disease. She (the examiner) said that the blood vessels were very worn and narrow, and that just showed all the abuse from the scheduling of work and his past. And Eddie just worked out like crazy all the time. It made his heart grow bigger and work harder and the vessels were getting smaller, and that’s what caused the heart failure. He went into a deep sleep.

As soon as they saw his heart, they saw the lining of his heart already had the heart disease. There was no trauma, and Eddie hadn’t hurt himself in any way. It answered a lot of questions. I knew Eddie wasn’t feeling very good for the last week. He was home and kept saying he wasn’t feeling good and we thought it was just “road tired.” So we thought he just had to rest. It answered a lot of my questions, too, because he was just so exhausted. She said it was normal because the heart was working so hard.

When he didn’t call me last night and the night before I knew it was for real, because he would call me every night. I miss his phone calls. I cried through the whole thing (last night).

I loved his laugh. His laugh was the best.

We just celebrated his four-year sobriety last Thursday. We just thought we had life by the handful. We thought we had it all figured out. He worked so hard to make a better life for us.

I’m just overwhelmed by how people are coming out. It’s touched my heart a lot.

Everybody was just in awe last night in how beautifully everything was put together.

All my life was wrestling. All he did was take care of them and live for that. And I don’t know what to do now.”

wldponi03
11-15-2005, 01:24 PM
R.I.P Eddie, he was one of my Favorite Wrestlers, I loved watching him come out in a Different Low Rider all the time..What a Shame!!!

1nasty96
11-15-2005, 03:05 PM
he will be missed :goodbye:

yosemiddysam
11-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Dang that relly stinks. He was an awesome wrestler. He will be missed. I just found out a few others that I have wondered where they went died too. Sad story. Thanks for the good gouge.