PDA

View Full Version : New Feature: GS HOWTO's - Need Feedback

J
10-30-2005, 12:56 PM
OK so alot of people are using their websites to display pics of their car and such, which is perfectly fine. But GS should be a little bit more of an informative site to help out fellow stangers... so I am developing this new feature.

Its called GS HOWTO's.

How it works.

Each user can setup as many howtos as they want, the interface will be just like the website creation.. but it will be a howto creation, and instead of pages, you create steps. You create a page with necessary tools... and then create a step by step instruction on how to do something. There will be GS howtos ( how to do something on GS) and also Mustang Howtos. You can upload images, files, etc. This is all to be determined.

To give people rewards on making howtos, because it can be an intensive process... Im thinking of giving out GS points for them.. somewhere in the range of 250-1000 points depending on the howto and how well the intructions were written up.

There will be a way to keep duplicate howtos from being created and also a way to search exisitng howtos. There will be a little icon displayed on your website for each howto you create. Kinda like the face-off and hunt icons.

Let me know what you all think.

crimsonblack
10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Yes! This great J. I would love to share my interior stuff with everyone. The persons doing their rear seat delete kits, battery to trunck conversion and so on can share in one area. This is awesome.

Hey Nicole3x3, you better be taking some good pictures of your V8 conversion.

crimsonblack
10-30-2005, 01:13 PM
OH, You should make sure that a how to can be duplicated if they are for multiple body styles. one is for a Fox body and another might for the SN95, and even another for the 05 style. A door panel coversion/restoration will be different based on body style.

J
10-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Generation of stang will be a selection when creating your howto.

MustangGirl850
10-30-2005, 02:37 PM
sweet

Crazzy_Al
10-30-2005, 02:49 PM
OK so alot of people are using their websites to display pics of their car and such, which is perfectly fine. But GS should be a little bit more of an informative site to help out fellow stangers... so I am developing this new feature.

Its called GS HOWTO's.

How it works.

Each user can setup as many howtos as they want, the interface will be just like the website creation.. but it will be a howto creation, and instead of pages, you create steps. You create a page with necessary tools... and then create a step by step instruction on how to do something. There will be GS howtos ( how to do something on GS) and also Mustang Howtos. You can upload images, files, etc. This is all to be determined.

To give people rewards on making howtos, because it can be an intensive process... Im thinking of giving out GS points for them.. somewhere in the range of 250-1000 points depending on the howto and how well the intructions were written up.

There will be a way to keep duplicate howtos from being created and also a way to search exisitng howtos. There will be a little icon displayed on your website for each howto you create. Kinda like the face-off and hunt icons.

Let me know what you all think.

Yes! This great J. I would love to share my interior stuff with everyone. The persons doing their rear seat delete kits, battery to trunck conversion and so on can share in one area. This is awesome.

Hey Nicole3x3, you better be taking some good pictures of your V8 conversion.

See PAGE 4 of my GS page...

1nasty96
10-30-2005, 02:59 PM
OH, You should make sure that a how to can be duplicated if they are for multiple body styles. one is for a Fox body and another might for the SN95, and even another for the 05 style. A door panel coversion/restoration will be different based on body style.
:thumpupn:

Black Stallion
10-30-2005, 04:16 PM
That would be awesome. I say go for it.

Nicoleb3x3
10-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Yes, I have a new mission to post all I've learned with my project including the swap! ...I wonder how many points that'll be worth??? LOL!

I hope to post a headlight and relay how-to for the fox body as my first

hrsepwrbrat
10-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Cool!

mysteed
10-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Awesome idea J.

wldponi03
10-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a Awesome Idea!!!

Legendary
10-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Sounds like a great idea, I would like the first how-to to be on making these banners everyone has. I want one too!!

MachGT
10-31-2005, 07:59 AM
well gosh, now I'm going to have to update my website :p

already have a couple how-to's

tobedeleted_blnpony05
10-31-2005, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a great idea, I would like the first how-to to be on making these banners everyone has. I want one too!!

I have a banner and a sig but I would like to know how to do it...and the movies that mysticcobra has...2 cool :beerchug:

crimsonblack
10-31-2005, 12:06 PM
I am willing to work on a how to create a "Signature" banner & it can be used for posters. But it would be image heavy, & somewhat generalized with comments towards software. Most people don't have the money to waste on Adobe Photoshop and cheaper software (Ulead PhotoImpact, PhotoPaint) can do the same quality with stuff this small. I have photoshop and don't even use it for internet work. But, I'll start on a how to. Most times it would be in a word document, but will have to be different to put it up on GotStang.com.

J
10-31-2005, 12:16 PM
OK, the interface should be done soon... you all should see the new link in the manage section on the right hand side.

lxexpress
10-31-2005, 09:33 PM
hey j this might be good with that thing that you and i were talking about????

Wrench
11-01-2005, 12:42 PM
I will be glad to do a write up on my 2v to 4v swap. Showing the extract and install of the motor, the changes that have to be made to the harness, pics with options on imrc delete, and even list of people on who to contact for part needs and who to have do your custom reflash so that your gt's eec will operate your 4v motor.

J
11-01-2005, 12:59 PM
I will be glad to do a write up on my 2v to 4v swap. Showing the extract and install of the motor, the changes that have to be made to the harness, pics with options on imrc delete, and even list of people on who to contact for part needs and who to have do your custom reflash so that your gt's eec will operate your 4v motor.
That would be excellent :)

MachGT
11-01-2005, 01:01 PM
I'll have one for a clutch swap, then maybe something with tips for the blower install, among other things

J
11-01-2005, 02:23 PM
OK, ive opened up the interface for those who want to be the beta testers... all your data will be saved.. its just a matter of tweaking the look and feel of it...

http://www.gotstang.com/maint.php?edit=howto

J
11-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Collection so far...

http://www.gotstang.com/howtos.php

crimsonblack
11-02-2005, 12:21 PM
When people do a how to, they gotta have photos. You can't give GS points if there aren't any photos. A how to needs, and should, have the images to also show people where to look for something, what it looks like, how to remove it, how to put it back on, etc. Just the verbage can be useless to most folks with out something showing you exactly what, when, where and how.

Most of the ones on there now for the beta testing are just lines and lines of information with the step by step process or even photos. It's useless like that. Good job by Nicole and 1FR500.

J
11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
No points are assigned untill I review them. Dont worry about that.

crimsonblack
11-02-2005, 12:39 PM
It's not just the points J. I want the "How To" area to really be useful to the folks here. What's the saying... "Image is everything". Gotta have them to do a how to.

onebad95
11-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Very simple to do. I apologize for not putting up pics. I usually just read stuff then do it. Never go by pics. Anyway, I put up some pics and if anyone has any questions about any of my how to's just drop me a pm.

Good Luck
Charlie

Roush2960
11-04-2005, 10:28 AM
J...this is a great idea. I just dont have time to go back and write up all the changes I did. I did photograph most of them though. I will give it a try...I hope you have enough server space.

;)

Matt

Nicoleb3x3
11-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Finally done my first How-To.
Took a while, I had to make sure I got all the details, and I needed additional pics:

Covers Adding Foglights to a fox body LX using a GT factory switch and relay to avoid overheating found in GTs:

http://www.gotstang.com/howtos.php?howtoid=3#jump

J, I think you should add a "rate this How-To" feature.
Allowing someone who has used the instructions to rate wether or not the instructions were useful to them. (oh yeah, and you need to add an option to delete or re-order steps :naughty: )

sicboy
11-29-2005, 10:24 PM
wow. that is quite detailed. im impressed..