PDA

View Full Version : Help: automatic stalling

stangman190
10-19-2005, 02:12 PM
ok sometimes when im driving the engine will just kinda studder like it was stalling but then it just keeps going. that does not happen alot but maybe once a week. then today i was leaving school and i came out of the parking lot and my car just stalled and cut off. i just put it in park and cranked it back up with no problem. have any of yall had the same problem with there auto? i hope you know what im talking about

crimsonblack
10-19-2005, 02:45 PM
What makes you think it's the automatic transmission? If your alternator is dying this could be the cause as well. Stuff like coming up to a light and the car dying is a sign. My wife's Oldsmobile just had that problem. As long as you were reving the engine it was fine. As soon as she put it into gear and you start pulling from the alternator the car would cut off. Any problems with charging the battery yet? Another sign the alternator could be going out. Start the car and run to leads from the batter terminal with a meter and see what the voltage is. Then check with a shop and see what they tell you it should be. It only needs to be off by a few volts and the think is useless.

Black Stallion
10-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Something similar to that used to happen to me, i'd put in in reverse and my car would stall out, It wwas because I had like 2 month old gas in the car and it didn't run for a while since I bought it at an auction. I just ran it alot and now I have no problems.

04redmach1
10-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Check your vacuum lines as well. Or you can get a tuner hehe

stone_turp
10-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Start from the alternator and work your way out to the DIS.(Distributorless Ignition System)

stangman190
10-20-2005, 06:06 PM
ok thanks for all yalls replies