PDA

View Full Version : Technology Blows

Black Stallion
10-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Ok, so I have an Emachines computer, cost me like $1200 I had so much stuff put into that computer and it was great, but it had Norton Antivirus 2003 on it, since it is about 3 years old. So a few weeks ago my computer starts acting up so i decide that it is about ttime to update my COmputer security, mainly get Norton Antivirus 2006, so I go to the website and I buy the 2006 package, and I proceed to install it and it says I have to delete Norton 2003, so I am like whatever since my computer will only be unprotected for like 2 minutes right? Wrong, I delete my program and restart my computer and install 2006, it doesn't go through, so I have to restart my computer again, and then I try it again, and it says a critical error has been found on my PC, so I am using some of my more colorful vocabulary right now. So it says restart my pc, AGAIN, so I restart it, and when it comes back on, nothing works, all the programs are there, but nothing will load, none of the icons do anything. I call Best Buy since I need this computer for school and I explain what happened, and they say I have to bring it in and they have to wipe out my computer because I have this insane virus that destroys EVERYTHING on my computer. :censored: So basically everything on my old computer is GONE, thats right all of my programs, pictures, files, everything, is gone. I am beyond pissed. This :censored: sucks. The person who invented the computer virus should be stabbed to death. :cussing:

BTW: I'm on my dad's work computer, so I still can get my daily GOTSTANG? fix. :thumpupn:

Redfire-01
10-08-2005, 01:57 PM
..Dude that's devastating..I feel for you bro... If that happened to me I don't know what I'd do since I use my computer to receive my work assignments each day...How damn inconvenient! Hopefully things get worked out soon....

crimsonblack
10-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Norton Blows.

ClintEastwood
10-08-2005, 02:23 PM
same thing, kinda, happened to my 1 year old desktop...theres so much shit wrong with it. I cant even Install norton from a cd on it...just has the error bullshit...sucks soo damn bad. Ive got a laptop now but still that computer was awesome and expensive and fast before all the viruses and adware bullshit.

Roush2960
10-09-2005, 02:40 AM
what O/S ar you running?

have you backed up your data?

Sound like an IT guy dont I...hehehe.

Never keep enough data that not backed up that i will hurt you. Computers are moving machines and they do go bad. Espically cheap ones, You should get ready to re-install O/S is needed.

Matt

ITLRUN
10-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Bro I'm sorry to here this Coputer Guru her to help. There are spacific instructions on removeing System works 2003 @ http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

And if that doesn't work you need to do it manually and here are the instructions : http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001091013435207?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

I have used the manual way many times and it works. These where some of the problems with eirlier programs. When I upgraded to 2005 I had no problems rmoving it.

Good Luck

YsOffcr
10-09-2005, 06:45 PM
I had a problem with Norton 05 and windows ME, found out the hard way that these two don't get along. Pretty much had to reformat, load XP, then Norton. Still not a big fan of Norton.

Nicoleb3x3
10-09-2005, 08:00 PM
BTW: I'm on my dad's work computer, so I still can get my daily GOTSTANG? fix. lol

That does suck though...I've been through it

...i'm scared now...I need to backup my shit

ITLRUN
10-09-2005, 09:42 PM
I had a problem with Norton 05 and windows ME, found out the hard way that these two don't get along. Pretty much had to reformat, load XP, then Norton. Still not a big fan of Norton.

All I have ever used is Norton's and I have never had any problem except what is explained here and I posted the ways to resolve it :beerchug:

stone_turp
10-10-2005, 07:54 AM
I use AVG. You can download it for free off of CNET and it is really OS friendly.

HerNastyNotch
10-10-2005, 08:42 AM
Norton sucks crusty ass! Get anything else but Norton.

When I upgraded to XP Pro and reloaded Norton, nothing worked right. Programs were crashing and that was even if I could get the operating system booted. I hadn't wired the Internet connection yet and it was a fresh install of XP Pro from Microsoft CD on a brand new hard disk. No way I had a virus. It was Norton not playing nice. I spent days working with Norton Tech Support only to have them tell me to reformat and reinstall XP. I guess he didn't hear me when I said I had just done that. Oh yeah... Norton Customer Service sucks crusty butt too.

:rant off:

Black Stallion
10-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Yea, I would love to try some of those ways to fix my computer, but nothing will load, so I have to sit on my hands until I can get up to Best Buy to get them to fix it hopefully.

ITLRUN
10-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Norton sucks crusty ass! Get anything else but Norton.

When I upgraded to XP Pro and reloaded Norton, nothing worked right. Programs were crashing and that was even if I could get the operating system booted. I hadn't wired the Internet connection yet and it was a fresh install of XP Pro from Microsoft CD on a brand new hard disk. No way I had a virus. It was Norton not playing nice. I spent days working with Norton Tech Support only to have them tell me to reformat and reinstall XP. I guess he didn't hear me when I said I had just done that. Oh yeah... Norton Customer Service sucks crusty butt too.

:rant off:

Sorry all I can say is all of you guys are not Computer wise I have XP Pro running on 5 computers networked and All I have ever used is nortons and know how to remove it and fix things. I Build custom built computers and don't need tech support and I offer help here but if not wanted I will never offer it again. Sorry I said a word.

Itlrun out !!! :closed:

HerNastyNotch
10-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Take it easy Mark... calling people computer stupid is not necessary. This thread isn't about that.

ITLRUN
10-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Take it easy Mark... calling people computer stupid is not necessary. This thread isn't about that.

I'm sorry again, I'm not calling anyone Computer Stupid I was just offering help and no one really liked or responded to what I offered. I have built several Custom Gamming Computers with no coplaints and all I have ever useed is Nortons, Adware, Spybot, Mircrosoft Anti-Spyware, & Xoftspy since 1999 and have never had a complaint nor any viruses for anywhere. I had a comment in private form Black Stallion in private in my guestbook that it's at Best Buy and they found a Virus that he downloaded from Lime Wire. I use Lime Wire and many others and mt suggestion to you all when ever you download anything from anywhere scan it before you execute it, and with Norton's all you need to do is right click the files and scan it before you execute it Good luck.