PDA

View Full Version : Job Question

93ramvert
08-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Alright, I value most people's opinion's here. So I'm gonna ask this question.

I started this Job about a month ago, I'm being outsourced as a Quality Engineer to a big aerospace manufacturing company. I'm making decent money, but the medical bene's are killing me, both on a per pay period and for co-pay's. This outsource job could possibly lead me to a permanent position (Someday) I did say (could) in the Big aerospace company (Awesome benes). The outsource project looks to be ending prob. in Aug of 2006 give or take a few months. Now this could mean that I could stay with this company I'm working for and they could find me another spot, or they could let me go.
I interviewed with another company yesterday, this one has been in the Turbine engine business for quite some time, certainly not as big as the one I'm outsourcing for, but they are set in the industry. They are looking to offer me a position designed just for me to bring on a new engine line for them, but old hat to me. They've already started bringing in the product, they just don't have the resource or the knowledge of it to bring it up to speed. As far as I can tell, they are offering the same pay rate, but the bene's are a little bit more affordable and the job is basically as long as I want it.
Then to throw a third one into the mix another outsourceing company want's to hire me for project engineering on a brand new engine for another Big engine manufacturer. This will be ultimately about 3-4 dollars an hour more, bene's are good, but again this job may have a time limit on it. Once the project is over, my job may be over, although there may be more potential to be retained here.

The question is what do I do. Basically the last two jobs are on the table, and I'm already working the first. Do I take the chance in the less stable jon and hold out, to see if I can get into the Bigger aerospace company? Do I go to the sure thing job with the second? Or do I go for more money, and still less stable job?

I look forward to you comments

sicboy
08-19-2005, 09:43 AM
ouit and go cruzin!

93ramvert
08-19-2005, 09:51 AM
ouit and go cruzin!

God do I wish. 30 some odd years before that can happen, unless I blessed withwinning the lottery, But then I would have to play to win.

1nasty96
08-19-2005, 10:55 AM
hmm. I would go with the more stable one cause you already know alot about what their wanting you to work on...If you take the third one and the job is over before you know it, the second job position might be already filled and then your outta luck. You mihght be gettin the same pay for the second as the first, but with time at the second job i'm sure you'll eventually get a raise. WTF is it you do anyway???

93ramvert
08-19-2005, 11:20 AM
hmm. I would go with the more stable one cause you already know alot about what their wanting you to work on...If you take the third one and the job is over before you know it, the second job position might be already filled and then your outta luck. You mihght be gettin the same pay for the second as the first, but with time at the second job i'm sure you'll eventually get a raise. WTF is it you do anyway???

Well What I've been doing is reviewing First Article Inspections, on Jet Engine Fuel Control parts (F-15's F-16's, 747, 737 to name a few). Basically what this means is Hamilton Sundstrand is outsourcing to smaller companys to make parts, This will be the first time that these companys have made these parts, so I have to review there package to verify that the proper material was used, that the specs were followed and how they were followed, I will review there work processes to see how they made the part, I will be reviewing cut-ups of the part to make sure the grains and the hardness of the material is per spec. If everything is o.k. I sign-off and they are approved to make that part for Hamilton Sundstrand.

What I've been doing in the past Quality Manager of FAA Turbine Engine Overhaul Repair Stations. What I've done here is develop an FAA Approved Quality System. I developed repairs of turbine engine components and approved components for return to service. The aircraft they are used in are small commuter planes, lear jets, crop dusters. Stuff like that. I've been fairly heavily involved with the two businesses, one I started from the gorund up and developed the facility, the first I came in when it was already a mulit-million dollar company.

This new company called Global Turbine, is an FAA Repair Station, they repair engine components for Hueys, and other small commuter planes, Honeywell engines. They want to get into the Pratt and Whitney Canada engines, (Which is my niche). They have dumped a substantial amount of money into developing this already, but it's all new to them so the money is more or less just sitting there, Take it from me it's very hard to develop a new engine line when you know nothing about it, and you trying to keep production going. Which is where I come in. They want me to take over the whole program, from repair and development, sales, project management and so fourth.

Sorry If I've confused.

ITLRUN
08-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Bro Stabililty and my Future is all I have ever used in my Job searches, Only would I ever take an unsable one unless the money where so outstanding that it wouldn't matter and in knowing I would land another stable job or good paying job when this one is done. Bro the choice is yours it'a hard to pic but this is my opinion. Good Luck