PDA

View Full Version : Question for all..

johnnysstang
07-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Keep the tail pipes or put turndowns on ?????? :hmmm:

viciousxstang
07-23-2005, 10:47 AM
if you have chrome tips i say keep the tips but dumps will make your stang sound alot louder and on your body style i'd say turn downs.

NoSlo5.0
07-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Keep the tips around just in case. I didn't want to drive my car with dumps. It was beyond obnoxious both inside and outside the car.

HerNastyNotch
07-23-2005, 12:03 PM
I lost the tailpipes and I'll never go back! My lil 5.0 sounds so freakin mean now (even if ya don't know what that darned whistling is)... LOL

It is definitely a little louder inside the car now (but not obnoxiously so) and my husband can hear me comin before I turn the corner to our street, but man, you just can't beat that raw throatiness...

NoSlo5.0
07-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Proof that exhaust choices are totally subjective. There is no best choice, but rather just what fits your goals best. If you are sitting at a light and can't hear what the guy next to you is saying, or you have to turn off the car to place an order at a drivethru and that doesn't bother you, then dumps are great sounding. I prefer the civility of my bassani at cruise and it's ability to get really loud under acceleration.

My guess is that dumps with LT's are probably not as loud as they are with shorties.

sublime302
07-23-2005, 11:22 PM
turn downs.... lose the pipes.. for thos fox's only tho...

roadhugger79
07-24-2005, 04:49 AM
turn downs.... lose the pipes.. for thos fox's only tho...
I 2nd that.. :beerchug:

05Classic
07-24-2005, 09:53 AM
dump it.

MIB
07-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Ya can have the best of both worlds.. Worked for me, Leave on the chrome tips (weld em up), and then cut out the middle and have the dumps.
Looks and sounds great :thumpupn:

HerNastyNotch
07-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Another thing to note is the rest of your exhaust system. For example, someone above pointed out shorties against long tubes... that makes a difference in sound. Also, X-pipe or H-pipe. I have shorties and an x-pipe and my opinion is that the sound can't be beat. But if you have an H-pipe, the exhaust will be louder than an X-pipe.

Your best bet would be to try to find other stangs with the different set-ups mentioned and try to find one you like by listening to them...

NoSlo5.0
07-24-2005, 02:31 PM
I have shorties and an x-pipe and my opinion is that the sound can't be beat. But if you have an H-pipe, the exhaust will be louder than an X-pipe.

That's funny, I think LT's and an X can't be beat :thumpupn:

Actually, I've been listening to blower cars at Streetfire.whatever and I'm aching for some blower or turbo whine.

BaD$NaKe99
07-24-2005, 03:02 PM
dump it, sounds great

johnnysstang
07-24-2005, 03:36 PM
MAC longtubes with Dr.Gas 3" x-pipe to 2 chamber flows...

HerNastyNotch
07-24-2005, 06:26 PM
That's funny, I think LT's and an X can't be beat :thumpupn:

Actually, I've been listening to blower cars at Streetfire.whatever and I'm aching for some blower or turbo whine.
LOL That's what my first comment above was about the whistling coming from my car... That unmistakable Vortech whistle is much, much louder than my dumps any day!

NoSlo5.0
07-24-2005, 06:49 PM
LOL That's what my first comment above was about the whistling coming from my car... That unmistakable Vortech whistle is much, much louder than my dumps any day!

I used to think power adders were a lame way to make power (I was a naturally aspirated purist). I've come full circle, I want to hear some whistle and a blowoff valve between shifts. Already planning my next motor...

HerNastyNotch
07-24-2005, 09:13 PM
I used to think power adders were a lame way to make power (I was a naturally aspirated purist). I've come full circle, I want to hear some whistle and a blowoff valve between shifts. Already planning my next motor...
It never pays to be a purist... LOL

You miss out on too much.

yellowclone
07-25-2005, 08:40 AM
I'd say dumps with any 5.0, not just the fox body because my 94 sounds great with equal length shorties, off road X-pipe, flowmasters and turn downs.

storm7127
07-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I left the tailpipes (welded em up) and dumped the 40 series flow masters. Sounds great! There is a sound clip on my page if ya wanna listen.