PDA

View Full Version : need serious computer help!!!

Stang Gurl
11-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Ok I really need someone knowledgable who can walk me thru a few problems, preferably over the phone. Here is why:

My computer is maybe a year old... I have dsl, not alot of files saved, I run ad aware often, scan for viruses, clean my disk, and defrag and somehow my computer is still extremely slow. When I run ad aware it says i have 31 running processes. I would like to turn some of those off but dont know which ones I can safely turn off. Someone also told me that its possible that some of the spyware that makes it to my computer is duplicating some of my files in various places and I just dont know it... I have no clue what this means... I need some real help here. I cant get a new computer so I have to figure out whats wrong with this one. Is anyone willing to help me out with these things over the phone? Im afraid help thru aim would be too confusing and time consuming... Im at my whits end with this machine and its about to end up in the yard lol... I really dont want to have to spend a wad for someone to come over for half an hour :(

SDRMustang1
11-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Ouch, im sorry, i wish i could help but I dont know much about what runs with DSL, let me ask around and ill be back!

Stang Gurl
11-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Ouch, im sorry, i wish i could help but I dont know much about what runs with DSL, let me ask around and ill be back!
awesome thanks... i think its just a matter of having shit on my hard drive that I dont know how to clean up... hell I dont know... lol its frusterating tho

SDRMustang1
11-29-2004, 12:58 AM
see, i had some of those geeky friends in high school that joked around about computer stuff, so give me a little bit and ill see if i can get one of them on the line...

CODY2003
11-29-2004, 01:00 AM
I'm not to savy myself, but when is the last time you cleaned out your temporary internet files and cookies? I know that that really slows down the processor when you use the internet.

Stang Gurl
11-29-2004, 01:09 AM
I'm not to savy myself, but when is the last time you cleaned out your temporary internet files and cookies? I know that that really slows down the processor when you use the internet.
I do that about every other day... I really am at a loss here with this pc of shit... lol...

SDRMustang1
11-29-2004, 01:21 AM
thats wierd, cause thats always the cause on most things, i dont know, ill even check with some people at work tomorrow that are computer guru's...dont worry, we will get through this!!!

Joe Friday
11-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Click Here (http://www.sysinfo.org/)

that is a good site with alot of start up programs. just hold down ctrl + Alt + delete to bring up your task manager and go to running processes. type them in the sear engine and it will tell you what they are. if oyu want to disable any of theme because they are ad ware or what not go to start > Run and type in msconfig
then go to start up and un select any program you do not want to run when your computer starts up. reboot and see if that helps :D

Dreaco
11-29-2004, 04:54 AM
You can also disable them in a somewhat better way by going into the control panel, click administrative tools, then click services, this will tell you what is running and a description of what it is. To turn one of these off click start up type and either disable it or set it to manual. Manual makes it come on only when you need it

Tyrone
11-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Hard drive consumption has nothing to do with speed. Most hard drives are quick enough to transfer the data to and from different parts of the PC. 7200RPM or even 5400RPM is fast enough for a hard drive. All the processes that are running is what is slowing your computer down. Memory is the key. Now and days you need at least 512MB or 1GB of Memory to have your computer running smooth. Most new computers are running DDR Memory so just throw a couple more sticks in and you will be good to go. If your PC is just a year old your CPU (Processor) should be fast enough for what you need to do. If you are into gaming then you may want to upgrade to the new age processors.

Also sometimes turning programs off in the Control Panel like Dreaco suggested can slow your PC down too. Some programs need other little programs to work correctly.

Just my 2 cents.

If you have any questions PM me.

01GTType
11-30-2004, 09:37 AM
I would tell you but your not online right now... :)

Roush2960
11-30-2004, 09:43 AM
OK..a quick hardware config would help. What were the last program you installed. What are you doing when it slows down. I will PM you my number shortly.
Also try Spysweeper from webroot.com..I always try to run two of them to get rid of spyware.

Stang Gurl
11-30-2004, 09:46 AM
hey guys thanks for all the responses... I think I have my computer fixed for the most part but now my AIM is fucked up... this is what it says when i try to reinstall AIM... (btw i installed it because it was messing up so i uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it like it told me to)
god dammit why cant i upload an image in my reply? :ranting:

Stang Gurl
11-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Ok i just tried again and its saying the application configuration is incorrect when I try to install the software.. wtf :ranting:

Roush2960
11-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Good to hear....AIM just bites.

Hope you can get it resolved.

SDRMustang1
11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Its a conspiracy from AOL to get people to pay for AIM, NEVER GIVE UP..NEVER SURRENDER!!

Stang Gurl
11-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Its a conspiracy from AOL to get people to pay for AIM, NEVER GIVE UP..NEVER SURRENDER!!
I heard something about this... that starting next summer they are going to charge like 15.00 to use AIM... what a crock... I wont pay for it... fuckem

Roush2960
11-30-2004, 02:43 PM
there are other free IM services out there...AIM will loose alot of people that way.

Hell they will probly loose them anyway.

01GTType
11-30-2004, 05:39 PM
At the bottom right hand corner of your screen how many things do you have running? Heres what you need to do... Goto start, run, type in msconfig, goto the Startup tab and uncheck the programs that you don't want to startup. This will speed your computer up when you turn it on, plus it will not let programs start that were installed without you knowing. What I usually tell people is to uncheck them all and hit apply and restart because the ones that need to start up will. Like your internet... etc.. Also instead of going in and rechecking them when you restart your computer just go into the programs you usually use and it will recheck them for you in your startup screen. This will take care of your computer speed and if there are any trojans this will not let them startup.Hope this helps you out.

Later, Tim