PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have Dell Coupons?

drummerstang98
07-16-2005, 08:48 PM
I am looking to purchase a Dell XPS desktop ASAP. I know that there are 40% coupons that exsist....Im trying to find one. Does anyone have one? I already have a 30% but an extra 10% would put me where I need to be with my budget. Please PM me with any information you may have. I could pitch you a couple bucks for the help.

Rwest75
07-16-2005, 09:23 PM
I thought we had a dell magazine but couldnt find it anywhere around the house. I tried to do a search on google but couldnt find anything specific or exact. Sorry. does the 40% off equal about $750? if so, i would wait til the last few days of the month to buy the computer online from dell and they will sell it cheaper to meet sales goals and prevent overstock of the product. Each month they have to estimate there projected # of units they will sell and if they fall short, then you can snag a good deal.

Ryan

ITLRUN
07-17-2005, 01:25 PM
:fu: Dell lol I have fixed more dell computers than you have seen Dell LOL the computers suck and that's why they have to have 24/7 support lol. There ok for just looking things up and word processing but if you decide to play any high rez games good luck. The problem with Dell and Gateway and others is they build there own components and buy the manufactures chip sets. I build custom Computers with manufacturers components and chip sets I only use Asus mother boards and only top of the line components unless otherwise specified. And to date I have had no complaints so if you would like a price quote e-mail me at mnlausburn@tampabay.rr.com and the computer you want and a price range and I will se what I can do but I will never be able to touch the $600 to $900 specials the yugos run lol but I can build them cheep if you want generic parts like the competitors are doing and you specify it. I build Cadilacs :devil:

My Cobra
07-17-2005, 09:10 PM
i built my own. any monkey can do it. but i did it as a job for a while if you want to buy the parts and let us help ya in putting it together your self we could do that. good parts fail bad parts fail. there will always be people that say good parts last longer and som epeopel that say that good parts are not worth the money that is your own choice to make pick a budget and decided what you will use the computer for the most then go from there

ClintEastwood
07-17-2005, 10:03 PM
yea i have a dell and it has some serious problems right now...i have no idea what happened but i think i caught me a virus. It needs fixed ASAP.

A message keep poppin up that says "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close."

ITLRUN
07-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Clint yea I fixed one of those too lol it's got spyware causing it I just fixed one the other day doing the same thing go to :

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/enterprise.htm

and do the free online scan and let house call do a complete scan and clean up all of the garbage. Also if your running Windows XP or newer go to

http://www.microsoft.com/

and get there Free Antispyware and I also run Spybot and Ad-ware 6 to protect my computer and all computers that I build.

Good Luck

ITLRUN
07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
i built my own. any monkey can do it. but i did it as a job for a while if you want to buy the parts and let us help ya in putting it together your self we could do that. good parts fail bad parts fail. there will always be people that say good parts last longer and som epeopel that say that good parts are not worth the money that is your own choice to make pick a budget and decided what you will use the computer for the most then go from there

Your right but the monkey needs to know how to configure it because it could drive someone :looney: . LOL and your right about parts failing but it the risk the one buying a computer needs to take but I will back up my Top quality parts over generic anytime. It's like comparing your Cobra to a Yugo :rofl:

ClintEastwood
07-17-2005, 10:35 PM
yea i run spyware doctor all the time...but i could run it all day long and it really doesnt get rid of it because it comes right back immediately

ITLRUN
07-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Well Clint try what I have suggested it might help ya :beerchug:

Rwest75
07-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Clint yea I fixed one of those too lol it's got spyware causing it I just fixed one the other day doing the same thing go to :

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/enterprise.htm

and do the free online scan and let house call do a complete scan and clean up all of the garbage. Also if your running Windows XP or newer go to

http://www.mirosoft.com

and get there Free Antispyware and I also run Spybot and Ad-ware 6 to protect my computer and all computers that I build.

Good Luck

Good advice. Let me recomend some other stuff too. For my anti virus, I use Trend Microsystems PC-Cillian Internet Security Suite 2005 in addition to the following.

Spybot search and destroy
Spywareblaster
Adaware Professional
ewido security suite
Hijackthis
and a host file that Limey from YMR made.

This host file ireplaces the host file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Basically its a list with nothing but URL's of known sites that are the cause of spreading spyware, adware, and dialers. It also helps prevent popups.

It works by resolving the urls on the list in the host file with your computer at ip address 127.0.0.1, instead of the actual url on the internet. When it doesnt find them on your computer, it doesnt display them on sites. Instead you will see parts of sites that have pictures with little red X's or parts of sites that say" this page can not be displayed"

Finally, I use Firefox as my browser. because most spyware is written to expoit flaws in MS Internet Explorer. It is free to download and there are a ton of extensions you can download to add more functionability to it. It looks and functions a lot like internet explorer too. My system is spyware, adware free and I have no problems at all. Nothing gets thru and if i do get something i can definately get rid of it.

Ryan

ClintEastwood
07-17-2005, 11:56 PM
the trendmicro one doesnt work with firefox :(

ITLRUN
07-18-2005, 06:19 AM
Good advice. Let me recomend some other stuff too. For my anti virus, I use Trend Microsystems PC-Cillian Internet Security Suite 2005 in addition to the following.

Spybot search and destroy
Spywareblaster
Adaware Professional
ewido security suite
Hijackthis
and a host file that Limey from YMR made.

This host file ireplaces the host file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Basically its a list with nothing but URL's of known sites that are the cause of spreading spyware, adware, and dialers. It also helps prevent popups.

It works by resolving the urls on the list in the host file with your computer at ip address 127.0.0.1, instead of the actual url on the internet. When it doesnt find them on your computer, it doesnt display them on sites. Instead you will see parts of sites that have pictures with little red X's or parts of sites that say" this page can not be displayed"

Finally, I use Firefox as my browser. because most spyware is written to expoit flaws in MS Internet Explorer. It is free to download and there are a ton of extensions you can download to add more functionability to it. It looks and functions a lot like internet explorer too. My system is spyware, adware free and I have no problems at all. Nothing gets thru and if i do get something i can definately get rid of it.

Ryan

Good information yourself and my system is the same except for Firefox. I read about it in PCWORLD and figured I would try it when I first heard about it but I didn't like it and it's up to the user what they prefer but like Clint just said he is using FireFox and can't get Trendmirco to scan you have to help him on that one.

Clint if you can still accsess your IE try it that way I went back to using IE and I don't have any problems either as long as you have the right protection it's hard for any hacker or bug to get you. Also make sure all of your Windows critical updates are up to date.

Rwest75
07-18-2005, 10:22 AM
I still have IE on my system cause you need it in order to get the Windows Critical updates. Microsoft wont allow you to use another browser for windows updates. I had a problem getting the music to play on GS sites in fire fox but solved that problem by downloading and installing quicktime alternative. When i get home i will try the trend micro site and see if it works. i have a feeling it uses active X controls to do the scan over the internet, so you ll have to do something to get it to work in Firefox. I ll figure it out and let you know what that "something" is.

Ryan

Rwest75
07-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I checked out the trend micosystems online virus scanner and it does use activeX controls that you must download in order to do the virus scan over the internet.

So i did a quick search on the firefox knowledge base and found this page about using activeX components with firefox. Since im still at work i havent had a chance to test it out and see how it works.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/ActiveX

Anyone else using firefox?

Ryan

Rwest75
07-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Well im home and i tried out the trend Micro systems scanner with out trying the active x work around and it says only Microsoft Internet Explorer is supported. That figures, Most the crap you dont want is written for IE anyway. I ll see if i can get the work around using activeX controls in firefox and let you know if it works or not.

Ryan

EDIT.Well im S.O.L. I have the newest version of Firefox and no version that will host the activeX components is available for this version yet.

hrsepwrbrat
07-18-2005, 06:02 PM
I use firefox, and occasionally have a problem looking at stuff. When that happens I use IE. I run all the freebies on my computer and have had no problems with viruses or spyware. I have Spybot with Tea Timer enabled, Ad-Aware, AVG free virus scan, Zone Alarm free firewall, and CCleaner. Tea Timer lets you know when something wants to change anything in the registry. CCleaner is set on the Recycle Bin and when you run it, it gets rid of all the cookies and temporary internet files and all that happy crap. It's much quicker than Windows Disk Cleanup. Zone Alarm is nice too, it lets you know when an unwanted application wants to connect to the internet. Anyway, that's my set-up...

syscokid
07-18-2005, 06:10 PM
If only Ford made PC's!! Great looking and very fast

ITLRUN
07-18-2005, 08:03 PM
If only Ford made PC's!! Great looking and very fast

Well I consider mine a Ford then LOL Great Looking and Fast and one want to benchmark theres to mine ? LOL that is why I only use high end components unless otherwise informed or wanted >owned< I will do anything to help friends. The Southern way and Hospitality :j:

Rwest75
07-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Well I consider mine a Ford then LOL Great Looking and Fast and one want to benchmark theres to mine ? LOL that is why I only use high end components unless otherwise informed or wanted >owned< I will do anything to help friends. The Southern way and Hospitality :j:

What program do you use to benchmark your system? I ll download it and go system to system with ya!.......LOL.

Ryan

ITLRUN
07-19-2005, 06:07 AM
What program do you use to benchmark your system? I ll download it and go system to system with ya!.......LOL.

Ryan

It's called Burn in Test I'll look for the link later and get back to you or E-mail it. :beerchug:

ClintEastwood
07-19-2005, 06:23 PM
problem solved...my dad just got a laptop from work for $150...and might get a second one. Damn i hate the keyboards on these things but its still a nice computer.