PDA

View Full Version : speed..... how off???

Hmongstang
07-16-2005, 03:14 PM
205/65/15 and 235/55/17, and how off would it be, plus or minus................. anyone know a place where i can go get it calibrated "spelling error" was driving 65-70 and fucken CHP clocked me at 83mph................ Bullshit.

ClintEastwood
07-16-2005, 04:29 PM
tuner chips can make speedo corrections

Rwest75
07-16-2005, 07:39 PM
I found a calculator that if you know the stock tire size this will work. I checked out my stock tires from my first 99 and they were 225/55/R16's so i put in your tire size for the rear cause im assuming that your running the 235/55/17's on your rear and then i put your speed the speedometer shows as 70MPH and the magic calculator came back and said your would theoretically be going 71.43849 MPH. The 205/65/15's , if on the rear would register 69.31487 MPH if your speedometer showed you were doing 70 MPH.

you would have to be running 315/55/17's in order to go 83 MPH when your speedometer is actually showing 70 MPH

Keep in mind, this is all assuming that the stock wheels and tires were 225/55/R16's

You can check out the calculator at http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

Ryan

EDIT: Here is another tire calculator i found that might be helpful but still wont get you out of the ticket.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Hmongstang
07-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Thank you ryan

i'm 5mph off

any ideas on how i can fight this ticket???

Rwest75
07-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Thank you ryan

i'm 5mph off

any ideas on how i can fight this ticket???

You might be able to claim mechanical malfunction due to changing your tire size then do the math with the tire calculator to figure out what tire/wheel combo you could have on your car that would cause you to go 13 MPH over the speed limit. Then do what you do best. BS your way through it and through your self at the mercy of the court. lol

Another claim you can make is that (if you really were going 65 to 70 MPH on the speedo) that the officers pulled over the wrong person. Because with your tire and wheel change your speedometer would only be 5 MPH off. The other option is that the officers gun wasnt calibrated but then i ve heard that CHP doesnt use radar. they use some mathamatical calculation to determine your speed and its more accurate, but if it was a radar gun, you could have a chance.

My best advice though, is dont listen to me, get a lawyer cause im not a lawyer and i dont want to give you any bad info. If anyone can help you beat a ticket its a lawyer. It may be expensive now but it will pay off over time.

Good luck

Ryan

hrsepwrbrat
07-16-2005, 09:58 PM
If this is your first speeding ticket, you may get lucky and not have it on your record. My first speeding ticket I pleaded "no contest" (cause the judge told me to) and it ended up being a $90 parking violation that he said wouldn't go on my record. I was going 15 over the speed limit. Or so the cop said...

Rwest75
07-16-2005, 10:31 PM
If this is your first speeding ticket, you may get lucky and not have it on your record. My first speeding ticket I pleaded "no contest" (cause the judge told me to) and it ended up being a $90 parking violation that he said wouldn't go on my record. I was going 15 over the speed limit. Or so the cop said...

Its not his first. He got a ticket for 107 in a 55 or 65MPH zone.

Ryan

Hmongstang
07-16-2005, 11:50 PM
GOD!!! please be with me.................. how much would hiring a lawyer cost??? if my folks finds out about this.............. i'm dead. i'm wondering if traffic school will be an option........ 2nd ticket in like 4 months. this is it, i'm selling the stang. time for a 4 banger.

help me out guys

Rwest75
07-17-2005, 12:01 AM
GOD!!! please be with me.................. how much would hiring a lawyer cost??? if my folks finds out about this.............. i'm dead. i'm wondering if traffic school will be an option........ 2nd ticket in like 4 months. this is it, i'm selling the stang. time for a 4 banger.

help me out guys

I couldnt tell ya how much a lawyer in CA will run ya. around here they will run ya around $300 maybe a little more for a ticket, but they WILL get you off on it unless its a state trooper that issued the ticket. Those tickets dont usually get beat.

Traffic school may not be an option, if you already took traffic school with in a certain period of time. I dont know the laws in CA so you ll have to check on that. If you have never taken traffic school it may be an option but you still might have to pay the fine plus the school costs and then you get to waste 8 hours of your saturday getting treated like an idiot.

If your insurance rates increase though you will be paying a hell of a lot more in the long run over time as opposed to dishing it out for the lawyer, fine and/or school.

Dont be so hasty to get rid of the stang though. Just invest in a radar detector, or only cruise at 5 to 7 mph over the speed limit. Most cops should give you that much of a gap unless your going through podunk,(insert state here) USA.

Ryan

Ryan

Hmongstang
07-17-2005, 12:32 AM
I couldnt tell ya how much a lawyer in CA will run ya. around here they will run ya around $300 maybe a little more for a ticket, but they WILL get you off on it unless its a state trooper that issued the ticket. Those tickets dont usually get beat.

Traffic school may not be an option, if you already took traffic school with in a certain period of time. I dont know the laws in CA so you ll have to check on that. If you have never taken traffic school it may be an option but you still might have to pay the fine plus the school costs and then you get to waste 8 hours of your saturday getting treated like an idiot.

If your insurance rates increase though you will be paying a hell of a lot more in the long run over time as opposed to dishing it out for the lawyer, fine and/or school.

Dont be so hasty to get rid of the stang though. Just invest in a radar detector, or only cruise at 5 to 7 mph over the speed limit. Most cops should give you that much of a gap unless your going through podunk,(insert state here) USA.

Ryan

Ryan

thanks alot Ryan :beerchug:

hrsepwrbrat
07-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Its not his first. He got a ticket for 107 in a 55 or 65MPH zone.

Ryan

DOH!!! Slow down, man! Keep it on the track! Yikes.. maybe a seriously low rev limiter would help with daily driving!!

Hmongstang
07-17-2005, 01:22 AM
DOH!!! Slow down, man! Keep it on the track! Yikes.. maybe a seriously low rev limiter would help with daily driving!!

haaa yeah >owned<

rvlyssup
07-17-2005, 02:23 AM
this is it, i'm selling the stang. time for a 4 banger.
Like 2 less cylinders will keep ya from speeding? :hmmm:

Take the bus instead...:lol:

Hmongstang
07-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Like 2 less cylinders will keep ya from speeding? :hmmm:

Take the bus instead...:lol:

hahaa :loser: i plan on getting a classis bug..... top speed is only 90.. and yeah 40hp motor :devil:

Rwest75
07-17-2005, 04:22 PM
hahaa :loser: i plan on getting a classis bug..... top speed is only 90.. and yeah 40hp motor :devil:

90MPH is still speeding on any road. :rofl: maybe you should get a bicycle :lol:

Ryan

My Cobra
07-17-2005, 08:59 PM
i would not try to go the route of your tire size and what not. they will tell you that it is your fault for not fixing it. had a buddy do the same thing