PDA

View Full Version : cowl hoods

spiffy
06-10-2005, 09:51 AM
how much do they help out with under hood temps

Roush2960
06-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Cowl Hood do not help let air out as much as they are/were designed to force air into the engine bay. A 03 cobra hood isdesigned to let heat out. So in my functional cobra R hood.

Leo
06-14-2005, 08:10 AM
isnt ram air hood the same dam chit without the ram air kit?

spiffy
06-16-2005, 10:13 PM
well thats exactly what i asked i was try to determine if it was worth geting one

HerNastyNotch
06-16-2005, 11:32 PM
A true ram air hood system forces cold air through the hood vents to force feed cold air into the engine's intake under pressure. This delivers more horsepower to the engine, along with better fuel efficiency than a simple cold air intake. If you are not going to hook the ram air hood up to your air box or intake and instead just use it for overall increased air flow under the hood, then you would want a ram air hood with cowls (or heat extractors) in the back of the hood... that way the ram air inlets would force cool air in and the cowls in the rear of the hood would allow for the hotter air to escape...

The theory behind a cowl induction hood is that it will suck air in by negative pressure, rather than by scoop (positive pressure).

90LX
06-18-2005, 08:45 PM
A true ram air hood system forces cold air through the hood vents to force feed cold air into the engine's intake under pressure. This delivers more horsepower to the engine, along with better fuel efficiency than a simple cold air intake. If you are not going to hook the ram air hood up to your air box or intake and instead just use it for overall increased air flow under the hood, then you would want a ram air hood with cowls (or heat extractors) in the back of the hood... that way the ram air inlets would force cool air in and the cowls in the rear of the hood would allow for the hotter air to escape...

The theory behind a cowl induction hood is that it will suck air in by negative pressure, rather than by scoop (positive pressure).

see, now thats just plain HOT!!!!! :drool:

stone_turp
06-19-2005, 12:41 AM
I just love the look of a cowl hood. Makes the car look fast standing stil!!

crimsonblack
06-24-2005, 11:57 PM
I have been considering a 1.5" cowl hood for my convertible. Nothing dramatic, but it would be strictly for looks. For heat, especially in Vegas, I am planning on Flex-A-Lite's new 5.0 Monster electric fan and just maybe their new aluminum radiator with adjustable brakets. Turn on the AC and the heat goes up quick.

fastmustangs1
06-26-2005, 03:59 PM
As far as underhood temps with a cowl hood it might help a little if any.

kingsnake
07-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Aren't cowl hoods more to give you more engine clearence under the hood for larger intakes, power adders, etc... I don't think a basic cowl hood will do much for under hood temp unless it has heat extractor vents.