PDA

View Full Version : What made you get a stang?

My Cobra
05-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Figured this would be a cool convo. So why did you get your stang and not another car?

the reason i got a stang:

I had worked on a camaro all threw highschool. It was a 96 polo green v6. The time i got done with it, it was over 400 hp in a LS1 crate engine. I went for a ride in my buddies 01 GT and fell in love with the way they hooked up and the over all feel for it. So i moved to FL and it was time to pick out a new car. So i said i wanted a Saleen and before long i was getting that feeling i had from that one ride every day. Even though i wish i had another camaro and i come from a die hard chevy family (Would not let me park my stang in the drive way) I love my stang and hope i always own one.

Your turn.......

04redmach1
05-26-2005, 12:16 PM
I WANTED A REAL CAR LOL :devil:

V6SSTANG
05-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Drove my brothers 1996 248a GT with no power options v6 seats and bolt ons. Was very fun to drive so I started looking for one too. Looked at a bunch of 1994-1998 GT's and most were beat. Went online did some research and realized 94-98 GT's ran the same 1/4 times as 99+ V6s so I started looking for v6s. Found this one for $4000 in a bank repo lot. Went to look at it and it looked like new. No mods ran perfect. 70k miles at the time. Picked it up and paid cash (no payments rock). Bought blackouts on the way home, had some rock chips on the bumper from highway use so i bought a cobra r front. Modding it ever since. Last year decided to sell it and go for a v8 but couldnt let it go to a 16 year old kid. FL =any sign of street racing is now a felony so I kept the v6 so I wont even be tempted. Raced on a few dead ends thought and beat 3 94-96 GT's. 2 verts 1 coupe. Coupe was auto, one vert was manual one was auto. Hung with the manual vert. Hopefully keep a mustang in the garage for ever, id like to explore the TT route with the v6 one day.

SDRMustang1
05-26-2005, 12:26 PM
I had an 89 ford ranger, custom painted in high school, loved that truck, swore i would never get rid of it, then I went on the Mustangs Across America cruise from LA to Nashville for the 40th anniversary celebration with my dad in his 2000 mustang, somewhere between LA and Nashville I decided I absolutely had to ditch the truck and get a stang, hunted for two months for a good deal on a mustang I really wanted and ended up with my 2002

93ramvert
05-26-2005, 12:40 PM
I was a huge Camaro fan 69-80 Era, had three, one 75, Hit a telophone pole, one 79 that I sold for $100 before leaving for Boot Camp, and another 79 that I got tired of and sold for $400. Cobra94 had been all over me for years about getting a stang, he was a huge stang nut ver since I can remember, I drove one of his GT's while still in High School and just loved the power. Finally after over 10 years of looking, buying, not buying, buying again, and not buying again, I ended up with my 93 LX 5.0 Vert. I was originally on the hunt for a 93 Cobra or a Notch, but when I saw my car I couldn't pass it up. My first Stang was 11 years old but practically brand new with only 6500 original miles. I want a 94 or up Cobra though, maybe in another 10 years.

Roush2960
05-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Well...

My wife had a vert stang when we met. Got rid of it and a couple years later I got a 89GT...That got stolen. Years go by and i get a great job offer. So I decided I wanted a vert. Originally was looking into a Mitsubi-Eclipse 98-99 Vert GST/GSX. Found one at a dealership. Next day started the journey.............

I left home and went to the Chevy dealer to look at a Camaro SS vert. OK , and $$ was not too bad. Not overly impressed with what they had. Called wife to discuss the $$ of the camaro and she said it was ok to buy it,But I had to promise to go look at a stang vert.

So I left the Chevy place and headed to ford. All the time not planning on getting a ford. Remember I was after the eclipse. Get to the Ford dealer and the sales guys are on my like flies on bad meat. I tell the guy I want to see a Midnight Blue or Laser red Vert with Black top and charcol interrior. If they had we would talk if not I am outta there. SO we walked the entire lot looking for what I asked for...None to be found. Then he mentions he dose have a Laser Red vert in a ROUSH package...Saw it and liked what I saw. Few hours later I drove it home. Since then it has been the bain of my modding talents.

The ride home from the dealership is another story.

./M@

MachAngel04
05-26-2005, 01:13 PM
I liked it just by the looks of it. I started liking them when I was about 15, and then in 99 when the new body style came out, I had to have one! So I traded in my Tbird when I was 19 and got my 01 V6 :thumpupn:
But now I am looking for a GT :dance:

ClintEastwood
05-26-2005, 01:23 PM
chicks dig them.

the end.

Jim03svt
05-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Nick, great idea for a thread!!! :thumbup:

I have to say, I'm not necessarily a diehard Ford guy.. I love american muscle cars! I've owned several over the years including a red 64 Impala SS, Silver 70 Cutless 442 and a dark green 68 Barracuda. I'd own a 68 Camaro in a HEARTBEAT! <-no pun intended.
I want a 'project' car and my hopes are to find either a 67-68 mustang fastback or a camaro of the same years.

As far as the late model cars out there, Mustang rules! Chevy dropped the ball!! BUT next year the new camaros are coming out and word is there's also a super high performance chevelle coming too! BOTH are supposed to be a late 60's 'type' design, like what Ford did with the 05 Stangs!
They should be interesting! Hopefully they won't follow in the footsteps of the GTO...

Nick, YOU'VE been to the Rod Run! I know without even talking to you about it, that you'd LOVE to have a 69 chevelle!!!! lol I would too! :)
I wish I could go there with a huge trailer and bring home a chevelle, a mustang, a camaro and a roadrunner!
I'll always love Mustangs! I'm a BIG FAN! My 03 is my second mustang. before my 03 I owned a 97 cobra. I wish I could've afforded to keep it AND buy the 03! My sights are set on the 07 Shelby Mustang 500GT... :drool:

Here's my 'former' 97 SVT Mustang
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?file=2835
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?file=2836

Hmongstang
05-26-2005, 01:28 PM
i bought mine because i have a thing for white chicks

CallawayGT
05-26-2005, 01:41 PM
I always wanted my brother's stang, but I ended up with a camaro.I got beat by a stang and traded in the camaro 2 days later on an 86gt.:D

Hmongstang
05-26-2005, 01:51 PM
I always wanted my brother's stang, but I ended up with a camaro.I got beat by a stang and traded in the camaro 2 days later on an 86gt.:D

BAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: glad u're on the faster side now

GT-STMC
05-26-2005, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't own rice if someone paid me. Been that way my whole life. I remember in high school when kids were embarassed and wouldn't admit it if their parents owned a Honda. Oh the good old days.
Oh well, my 3rd or 4th car was a stang, a '70 Mach, and I've had Mustangs ever since. Still have that Mach...., and others.

mustangfreak123
05-26-2005, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't own rice if someone paid me. Been that way my whole life. I remember in high school when kids were embarassed and wouldn't admit it if their parents owned a Honda. Oh the good old days.
Oh well, my 3rd or 4th car was a stang, a '70 Mach, and I've had Mustangs ever since. Still have that Mach...., and others.

got any pics?

_eazy_
05-26-2005, 05:57 PM
camero's are for rednecks (trans-am's and firebirds too for that matter)

corvette's are for men w/ small pee-pee's

viper's are too expensive

ford came out with a new body style for the stang

got a good deal

blown93feature
05-26-2005, 06:05 PM
I have been wrenching on stangs since 86' and at the time I was working at the ford garage, the gt 350 stangs that were out from the 84 year and the svo turbos were hitting the streets.My friend had bought the new fi 302 gt that ford put out and that's all it took for me. I would ride in that car all the time and the more I road in it the more I fell in love.
My wife and I have owned 7 stangs since then and come next fall number 8 will be added.
Between my father and I we have owned a total of 400 cars to date. My favorit has always been a stang!

stalker
05-26-2005, 06:41 PM
I got sick of waiting for my Nissan 350Z that I had on order to come in. I was on the waiting list for 8 months and finally got sick of waiting. There wasn't any other sports cars out really at that point, so I got the Stang.

stangman190
05-26-2005, 08:50 PM
I grew up listing to my dads stories about his 69 fastback and how much fun it was. Then hearing my brothers stories about the two 67's he had made me kinda think about it. Then i went to the turkey rod run in fl with my uncle in his 66 made me want one even more. Then my friend came over with his 2001 roush vert and that made me just have to have one ( a vert at that). I guess i was just surrounded by them. I also didnt want some rice like every other kid at my school. So about 6 months later i got mine which is a 2002 vert v6. But im hoping to get a gt or cobra after college.

My Cobra
05-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Good stuff. A waiting list for a 350Z thats a oxymoron. ha ha j/k my dad owned a 68 or a 69 can not remember which but that was the car that my uncle cut his teeth on as a mechanic and from all of the pictures that i have seen and the stories that i have heard i have to say that i wish i had that car or one like it.

Fastest302
05-26-2005, 09:10 PM
I bought mine because i love the way a 5.o sounded like and that my godfather was restoring it and i knew that it was going to be hot so i bought it.

ChromaLusion
05-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Figured this would be a cool convo. So why did you get your stang and not another car?

the reason i got a stang:

I had worked on a camaro all threw highschool. It was a 96 polo green v6. The time i got done with it, it was over 400 hp in a LS1 crate engine. I went for a ride in my buddies 01 GT and fell in love with the way they hooked up and the over all feel for it. So i moved to FL and it was time to pick out a new car. So i said i wanted a Saleen and before long i was getting that feeling i had from that one ride every day. Even though i wish i had another camaro and i come from a die hard chevy family (Would not let me park my stang in the drive way) I love my stang and hope i always own one.

Your turn.......

a few examples of why i want one. it's pretty much obvious.
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?useruid=152&normal=1&showimage=22
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?useruid=491&normal=1&showimage=23
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?useruid=891&normal=1&showimage=13
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?useruid=11&normal=1&showimage=3
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?useruid=554&normal=1&showimage=20
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?useruid=491&normal=1&showimage=117
:drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2:

MachGT
05-26-2005, 11:31 PM
I was actually looking for an affordable convertable then ended up getting a hardtop 97 v6 :lol:

Then I was looking for a vert GT for a while and ended up with a coupe again :lol:

Just more affordable and better performance. But I originally wanted a nice little sporty car to get around in. Then I went off the deep end lol

audiobahn81
05-27-2005, 12:59 AM
why i got a mustang
well its kind of funny i have always owned chevys and my dad always owned fords well when it became time to get a new car i went and test drove a 98 cadilac elderado but needed a co signer parents had before told me no sports cars.ok so i show the cadilac to my parents and of course they say no insurance would be to high so ok just joking around i said i was going to go test drive a mustang they said fine whatever thinking i would not get one well i drove it for a week test drive and fell in love it had better handiling then any camaro or trans am i had ever owned not a big ford fan but i love my mustang and will always own one they rock:devil:

stalker
05-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Good stuff. A waiting list for a 350Z thats a oxymoron. ha ha j/k my dad owned a 68 or a 69 can not remember which but that was the car that my uncle cut his teeth on as a mechanic and from all of the pictures that i have seen and the stories that i have heard i have to say that i wish i had that car or one like it.

When the 350Z was first released, waiting lists were over a year long. I was offered to get someone elses car a couple different times when they didn't pick it up, but dealerships wanted 10k over MSRP.

thunderbolt64
05-27-2005, 07:56 AM
My next door neighbor had a '65 Fastback. I was only 11 or 12 at the time. I thought that was one of the coolest cars in the world. From then on, I always wanted a Mustang. Between the wife and I, we have two now. The '89, and the '66.

nufc1
05-27-2005, 08:00 AM
my first vechicle when i came here was a 1989 ford ranger , cleaning it one day i look up and see a mustang gt vert with the top down . dropped my sponge and went to look at it , my nephew came out of the house great big smile on face . ( you like it? ).
we have nothing like this back in the uk . went out and bought a black v6 with pony package, wife wouldnt let me get the gtmmmmmmmm, on the net one day they say no more cobras after 04!!! that saterday went to look at a cobra . 2 hours later drove it home . wife says now get the shelby if you put the cobra in for it . sorry but love the style and the fact its a limmited edition sticking with it . back home everyone is sooooooo pi@#$%d about it lmoa green with envy

gambit90lx
05-27-2005, 09:03 AM
a friend of mine got a brand new 86 lx coupe and we went out on the town and of course lined up a couple irocs and of course took them down.......thats all she wrote had to have one so i now own an 89 lx and a 90 lx love em......i will be and always will be a mustang man........one day before i die i would love to own a saleen hopefully one day that dream will come true....

viciousxstang
05-27-2005, 09:19 AM
I've been in love with the mustang since i was about 13 years old. My High school mascot is the Mustang and since i was an athlete my room is full of MUSTANG pride. I have traffic signs,banners,pictures,posters, just tons of mustang stuff so after seeing these things everyday my pride for the MUSTANG just grew and grew. Then when i was 16 my cousin got an 01 GT with a couple bolt ons and he let me drive it around for awhile i really fell in love with the power and the body style.

So when i graduated high school i begged my parents to get me a new car as a present for graduating so on my 20th birthday my dad wakes me up and takes me to the ford dealership and by the end of the day i came home with my baby.

Cobra94
05-27-2005, 10:58 AM
great thread Nick,

I learned how to drive a stick on 4 cyl Mustang notch when i was 15, stealing moms car outta the driveway at night. From that point it was all Mustang. although my 1st car wasnt a mustang (which i soon totaled) i did finally get one. From there its been an obsession. I cant ever imagine not owning a Mustang. they are not the most versital car here in New England. and when u have three kids, its not the best family car, but oh well!

http://www.gotstang.com/profile.php?Cobra94&page=3

For me it wasnt how fast it was or its 0-60. there will always be a faster car. it was the Car its self, the heritage of it, also, that i learned to drive in one. As I sit here i still cant realy explian it. The last american pony car! and i got one!

and finally 93ramvert does too. sorry to infect you. :lol:

93ramvert
05-27-2005, 11:49 AM
great thread Nick,

and finally 93ramvert does too. sorry to infect you. :lol:

:lol: Your 83 is in the post a picture of your first stang thread. It was the first Stang I drove :j:

EddieGT
05-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Here's my 'former' 97 SVT Mustang
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?file=2835
http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?file=2836
JIM!!! You never fail to provoke envy... That is exactly what I'm looking for right now, a '97/98 WHITE Cobra vert!!!!!!

Anyways, my reason for getting a Mustang can be summed up in 2 words that J should copyright...

Mustang Love

I lusted over 5.0's as a kid and when the SN95's hit the roads, I dreamed of a black Cobra coupe..

I'm not a big American car fan... But I love muscle cars, all classic Mustangs and mopar cars :) As a kid, my dad owned a Plymouth Duster 340HP (HP stood for high performance if I remember correctly)... It was the last of its breed as it was then replaced by the 360 the same year (less horsepower, emissions friendly...lol) I loved going on rides on sunny Saturday and Sunday mornings with him... He had a lot done to the car and it dyno'd at over 450 HP at the time. He then went on to sell it to some guy who used it strictly for drags and someone poured sugar in his gas tank during one of the events... It was very sad news.

Anyways, I went on a Jap car craze once I had the money to afford my own rides... And then last year I decided it was time for me to feed my need for large displacement muscle... I got the 2000 GT Vert, and then subsequently the '04 Cobra through a "soured up" 40th Anniv GT Vert deal...

I guess I got the '04 at the wrong time because sooner than later I realized insurance cost alone was leaving me with little surplus cash to save up for a house... I decided to trade it in for something more, *gag*, practical...

But, Mustang Love will prevail... I will own an '07 Cobra.
:devil:

The Guardian
05-27-2005, 03:56 PM
I have wanted one since I was a young. I think they look awesome. I always wanted a 64 1/2 convertible but my 2004 40th anniversary is sweet. I will still get the 64 1/2 someday. Meanwhile I will have a blast in my black beauty.

Black2005Stang
06-23-2005, 01:29 PM
I liked my old '89 (that I sold a few years back), then found out at the beginning of last Feb that there was a new 'Stang... so I said "I gotsta have it!"

stone_turp
06-23-2005, 02:26 PM
My father owned a 72 Mach 1 with the 428 C/J with the interceptor package. (it was grabber yellow for you yellow stangers out there.) I only saw it in pictures since he got rid of it to buy a family car because I was born :nutkick: . I have always liked stang my neighbor had a 76 King Cobra that was (for that time) sweet. I would always see the Fox's around my hometown beating up on the Camaros. My first car was a beretta GT needless to say my grandfather would not let me park it in his driveway. We have always been a ford family and my uncle has a 78 GranTorino pro street. So I have bled blue since the day I was born and always will.

MachGT
06-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Nothing better then having 400 rwhp available while cruising around listening to tunes with the A/C blasting ice cold air :thumpupn:

02BlueStang
06-24-2005, 12:02 AM
My first car was my moms 96 teal V6 stang.....I test drove some other cars because I didnt want the same kind of car my mom had...This was before I was really into cars and looked at modifications etc....I test drove a Mercury Cougar and was shocked at how fuckin slow those things were....I asked the sales guy why testing it if it was normal for the car to be only at 50 mph when I was at 3500 RPM in 5th gear...he said it was so to the ford lot we went.....I test drove a V6 and immediately felt more power and knew that I had to have one....Test drove a GT and then starting pricing out an 01 True Blue Cobra Vert that was on the showroom floor....I could have got it, but insurance was MURDER so I settled with a V6 on the idea that I would get a GT a couple years later....

Then I started added some things to make it look nicer...black out covers...then it was window tint...then some nice colored headlights...found some nice stangs on the net....then got into some expensive mods like exhaust, wheels and it just grew from there....

I have always wanted a Saleen Speedster or Roush Speedster but being only 20 its kinda hard to pull that kinda money together while trying to concentrate on finishing college, buying a house in the future and getting married and starting a family.....

I just ordered my Roush Stage 3 front fascia and Saleen wing will be ordered in a few weeks because I don't have time to get it on before the show since they were backordered and shipping will take too long....If I cant have a Saleen...I shal build my own Saleen/Roush Mustang :beerchug:

metallistang
06-24-2005, 07:39 AM
I drove my stepmothers 1996 3.8, then I was hooked, I instantly started looking (at 16) and all I could afford was the 1995 3.8 I got...I loved it and then after I got it 3 of my friends picked up red 94-5 GTs and I was always in the back of the pack! So I got GT fever..took me 3 years to get to where I could afford my GT. I love it, would never get rid of it...(except maybe for a cobra) LOL

levi505
06-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Growing up we lived 2 blocks away from the local dragstrip.My whole family was into racing so it was only natural that i get into it as well. When i was 16 my first car was a 78 camaro z28. paid 500 cash for it. put about 5grand into the engine and then wrecked it. I went through numerous muscle cars all gm models because at that time frame it was the age of the 350sb. Then i went to bootcamp and they shipped me right off to japan. There i found the joys of a high reving 6 cyl. nissan skyline that i bought when i first got there. loved that car. I put all my hard earned military money into that car. Then when it was time to leave i found out that in order for me to send my car home it was going to cost me more than i made in a year to get it back to the states. not having that kind of money i sold it. came back home and i needed a car but was tired of the same old thing i get out of the gm (brand x) cars. so i started hunting for a mustang. Found a sweet 90 lx with just exhuast and a gear in the rear. When i came out of the parking lot sideways i knew it was ford time now and forever. Sadley that car was totaled when i let a freind drive it. Now i own my 89 notch and i love every minute my butt is in the seat. strapped on some mods and a turbo and now im running 10s in the 1/4 in street trim and getting 24mpg. What more could you want????

9s!!! :dance:

yellowclone
06-24-2005, 10:37 AM
I was at a Rod Run a couple of years ago and seen alot of Mustangs. I saw an Atlantic Blue Cobra with 18" Chrome Cobra R's on it. It looked awesome. This was when the Chrome 18's had just come out. After that I wanted one. Maybe it was more than a couple of years ago, because I have had mine for two years and it was probaly two or three years before I found the car I wanted.

hrsepwrbrat
06-24-2005, 12:04 PM
My grampa had 2 Mustangs when I was growing up. One was a 66 hardtop and the other a 67 fastback. My brother and I were supposed to get them when we got our licenses, but dad got mad for some reason and told the grandparents to sell them. I was determined that I would HAVE a Mustang! When the 99-04 body style came out, that was what I had to have. I like those and the old fastbacks and there are no good old ones out here, so I got an 03 GT from the dealership I work at. (Chevy dealership) My little Ellie sat there for 6 months among all those Chevys just waiting for my hubby to tell me to go ahead and see if I could get her! The only reason he said it was ok was cause my 4.6 Thunderbird's warranty was out and things started going wrong. Ellie didn't mind though, she waited for me! :clap: