PDA

View Full Version : ? about emissions test

MachAngel04
04-07-2005, 12:05 PM
ok well my check engine light has been on since Oct. and I know I need a new cat. I just got a notice in the mail that I need to take it for an emissions test in May. Well the cat I need is going to cost me over $1000 suposively and I cannot get it fixed right now. So my question is, if my friend resets the codes and my check engine light turns off for a couple days, do u think my car is going to pass???

J
04-07-2005, 12:52 PM
The emissions place doesnt look at your check engine light.. it looks as the exhaust fumes.... if you had 4 lights on your dash and you exhaust is still "clean" then you will pass. Im not sure what your reading would be with a bad cat... if the cat is still good and your sensor is fried...

MachAngel04
04-07-2005, 01:18 PM
The emissions place doesnt look at your check engine light.. it looks as the exhaust fumes.... if you had 4 lights on your dash and you exhaust is still "clean" then you will pass. Im not sure what your reading would be with a bad cat... if the cat is still good and your sensor is fried...

well my friend has the machine u hook it up to. I already replaced the O2 sensor and the cat sensor. That still didnt work. I heard they do look at the dash???

J
04-07-2005, 01:19 PM
well my friend has the machine u hook it up to. I already replaced the O2 sensor and the cat sensor. That still didnt work. I heard they do look at the dash???
Tell them one of your spark plug wires was loose.. thats why the engine light came on.. cylinder number 5 wasnt firing.

MachAngel04
04-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Tell them one of your spark plug wires was loose.. thats why the engine light came on.. cylinder number 5 wasnt firing.

haha will do......

synister281
04-07-2005, 02:27 PM

they'll hook up into the plug under your steering column

02BlueStang
04-07-2005, 04:25 PM
they will stick a probe up the butt of your stang as well and have you rev the engine....I have a friend who goes through emissions with his GT and he has an offroad X pipe with flows...NO Cats....what always seems to work for him is drive the car around and get the engine up to temperature....Then take it to emissions and make sure NO ONE is in line when you get in line....If the engine is hot it will cut back on the emissions and you will pass....He's done this twice now with no problems at all :beerchug:

MachAngel04
04-07-2005, 04:27 PM
they will stick a probe up the butt of your stang as well and have you rev the engine....I have a friend who goes through emissions with his GT and he has an offroad X pipe with flows...NO Cats....what always seems to work for him is drive the car around and get the engine up to temperature....Then take it to emissions and make sure NO ONE is in line when you get in line....If the engine is hot it will cut back on the emissions and you will pass....He's done this twice now with no problems at all :beerchug:

thanks for the advice :thumpupn:

Joe Friday
04-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Well the cat I need is going to cost me over $1000 suposively and I cannot get it fixed right now.

No i don't think that is correct. maybe $120 bucks for the cat and you'll just have to have it welded in place of the origonal one.

My Cobra
04-07-2005, 10:58 PM
We have testing here starting next year they are going to hook it up to a code reader. And it will make sure that none of the cats are bad and lighting system (Front and rear) they also test our windows and see if they are where they should be. Stuff is getting hard to mod.

stalkerbabe
04-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Ive never had an emissions test in all of 6 years of having my car

MachAngel04
04-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Ive never had an emissions test in all of 6 years of having my car

hmmm that is strange, from what I know of the first one is when the car is 4yrs old and then every 2 yrs after that

stalkerbabe
04-08-2005, 02:30 PM
lol oops!!

CallawayGT
04-08-2005, 02:48 PM
a $1000 cat? is it one of those hairless ones?

anyway,you could get a hi-flow midpipe with cats for less than half that.

02BlueStang
04-08-2005, 03:04 PM
hmmm that is strange, from what I know of the first one is when the car is 4yrs old and then every 2 yrs after that

Ive had my car for almost 4 yrs now and will never have to get one...my mom doesnt have to get them on her 96 either...All depends on what city the car is registered out of. My mom has horses on her place and its considered a rural/countryside area and therefore the city does not require emissions on the vehicles. My car is registered out of her house :devil:

stalkerbabe
04-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Ive had my car for almost 4 yrs now and will never have to get one...my mom doesnt have to get them on her 96 either...All depends on what city the car is registered out of. My mom has horses on her place and its considered a rural/countryside area and therefore the city does not require emissions on the vehicles. My car is registered out of her house :devil:
Lol Im in a rural countryside ..... I Can see a corn field 10 feet away!!!!

JPRCobra
04-08-2005, 11:05 PM
:nya: They sell stuff at the auto parts stor that heats up the clyinder temp to pass the emsions if you get the code clered they should pass you being that new ill install set of high flows for less then 750 bucks probly less then 500 for that fact who ever qouted you that is somking some thing if you dont pass i can wite you some ticks to say the work was done if you need it just call me at 630 750 5626 it should be cool though i can also install a nitrogen kit for cheep that will pass also

AJ SnkNV
04-09-2005, 07:42 AM
I am actually going though the same problems. I however just added 2 new hi-flo manganflow cats with a custom X pipe built and it was only 420.00. You should be able to find a performance shop that an weld in 1 cat for about 180.00. Good luck